FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dr. Laura (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dr. Laura
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
She HAS expertise. She IS a liscensed therapist, and that requires passing certain requirements.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and on that, I agree Katharina. What do these people expect? Sometimes they are trying to get a few months of therapy in a 5 minute call. But she will tell people that, actually. She'll tell them that they need a therapist. Or a lawyer.

But a lot of it is common sense. Frankly, I wouldn't take her on as a therapist, but not because I don't agree with her.

Well, Katharina, I've just come from 2 hours of volunteering where I did grunt work for the teacher while I observed her teaching. If I did that more often with the intent to teach, and she gave me more and more responsibility I would be able to do it. No piece of paper required.

I will back off and say it isn't completely worthless. I will say that it says that the person went to so many classes and passed them. Depending on the degree, it might also mean they did a really big project that passed inspection by the teachers. But for most fields, experience and ability is far more beneficial than the piece of paper.

College is good for the education, but is a lot less necessary than people think.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Laura?

It's like being surprised when someone you meet on a reality dating show didn't actually mean the expressions of true love. Well, the entire situation existed to make someone money. Of course isn't the real thing!

--

So I'll agree that it's possible to be good at and become proficient in some things without a formal education, and you'll agree that a college education isn't worthless butt-kissing, and everyone's happy?
quote:
She IS a liscensed therapist, and that requires passing certain requirements.
Isn't a license just a piece of paper? [Razz]

[ March 03, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I have no sympathy for those who call her, though. She's in entertainment! Your problem is being used to make money for people! And, it's free. Anything good you get is gravy.

Word.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is also a liscenced therapist, though her degrees are alsoin Psychology.

Hmmm. Dunno if that makes Dr. Laura look good or bad. My sister is certainly much more compassionate.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of what makes people able to function is that we do not know our own true motives. What I hear her doing most the time (well, from 2000-2003 anyway) was asking people questions to get them past the story they are telling themselves which is no longer working.

Of course, Dr. Phil is a Ph.D. in something else also. Is he a counselor?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Phil has a Ph D. in psychology. Dr. Laura has a Ph D. in physiology, which is not psychology. She has a certificate in marriage and family counseling.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He may have a degree, however . . .

OTOH, I can stomach him a lot better than Dr. Laura.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stomach EITHER of them.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka only asked said he didn't have his Ph D. in psychology. I'm not particularly fond of him either, but at least he has a Ph D. in the field.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
His accent is extremely annoying.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because he has a PhD doesn't mean he's a GOOD psychologist. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, if you follow the link, it mentions the fact -- which he admitted, years back -- that he got out of psychotherapy because he was no good at it.

Ummm . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... I'll pass on either of them... I don't like having the TV or radio telling me what to do. If anyone's going to have an opinion and advice about me I need to follow, they better know my last name, at the very least.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.