FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good . . . OSC... (Page 19)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Good . . . OSC...
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
So you don't agree with everything he said? Because I could have sworn you said you did.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
The quote you used didn't have anything to do with Gays. It had to do with the current state of marriage in our society. The degradation from the 50's until today. Which in my opinion is very hard to dispute against. (although there's always someone who thinks marriages are stronger, better and less prone to Divorce, but I'm not seeing it)

He's not saying Gays shouldn't be allowed to be married because of the deterioration of marriage.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Let's talk about marriages in the 50s! Depressed housewives! Emotionally stunted husbands! I'm not certain the 50s are something we want to emulate.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe I said anywhere that it had anything to do with gays. Have I been using a screen name I am not aware of having?

I was addressing the statement of yours that I quoted.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Really? Because my grandparents were all married then and happy then and now. And still married.

They were doing something right that is not being done today.

Oh and that's my opinion, but maybe high divorce rates are a sign of strong marriages to some people.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I said I agreed with OSC's article.

That post was about how marriage has deteriorated to where the current status of marriage is not even recognizable as the same as it once was.

There was no question in his quote.

You invented a question, that was never asked.

That's your question, not OSC's.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I really would love to discuss 50s marriages. There is an excellant book called (I think) "The Way We Were" that's very interesting in that it compares how the structure of the family has changed since the 50s.

As far as divorce rates go - I don't know. Divorce wasn't as acceptable in the 50s, and single women with children didn't have as many options then. I don't know if we can attribute the rise in divorce rates since the 50s by blaming it on the fact that we don't have "strong marriages" now.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another excellent book called The Way We Never Were that refutes many of the claims of the first. It's amazing.

Not that I want part of this spat - just pointing that out. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Eh...wait. Perhaps I have my books confused. The book I read had a great breakdown about marriages/families in the 50s and why marriages/families are different today. It proposed that instead of looking dreamily back into the 50s as the epitome of marriage and the family that we realize that societal changes have changed the state of marriage and the family. I wonder which book it was now!

space opera

the master
Member # 6788

I invented the question? Uh, yes?

Do you agree with the assertion that children of divorce are only mating in marriage-like patterns? Because that is one of the things Card has said in this article. One of your statements on this thread is that you agree with everything he said in the article.

A yes or no would be sufficient for this particular question.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, is that how I've flown under your radar?

Indeed, I am an unfunny man, in a hopelessly comedic world. Personally, I think Hobbes stole my funny. That tricksy Hob-bes!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Do you agree with the assertion that children of divorce are only mating in marriage-like patterns? Because that is one of the things Card has said in this article. One of your statements on this thread is that you agree with everything he said in the article.

Every one? No. Because there are other factors that can lead to divorce. However, aren't the studies pretty overwhelming that state that children who come from broken homes have an astronomically higher chance of being stewards over broken homes themselves?

I haven't seen any studies anywhere that state that children who are the product of broken homes are more likely to stay married and have strong marriages.

Is that what you are disagreeing with? If so I would like to know what leads you to believe such.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oooh! Let's talk about marriages in the 50s! Depressed housewives! Emotionally stunted husbands! I'm not certain the 50s are something we want to emulate.
Between you and me, SO, we don't agree on this. But the truth is that neither one of us was in the fifties and neither one of us has any experience with being married back then. All we know is what we've heard or thought about it. I'd be really interested to know what people who were actually married in the fifties have to say about it.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

Have I stated agreement or disagreement with that statement?

Your answer is agreement with a statement different from that which was made. That is, that statistically, children of divorce are more likely to get divorced. I'm certainly not going to disagree with that. However, Card's phrasing is unambiguous in it's cause-effect relationship: If your parents got divorced, you cannot have a real marriage.

Do you understand that there is a difference between the two? Do you understand that when you say you agree with everything he has said, you are agreeing with everything he has actually said?

Do you agree with his statement?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, um, I don't know.

Do you feel you have gone under my radar? If so, it wasn't at all on purpose. I am partial to funny. Hobbes is funny, and Hobbes is more often very sweet and extremely principled, and that gets attention from me, too, but there's no denying that the best way to my heart and mind is through the Funny.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, so it's the extremely principled thing.

I'll [EDIT: get cracking] on that.

-Bok

[ September 21, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.