FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a plumber in the house?

Author Topic: Is there a plumber in the house?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Our bathtub has a slow drain. I assume this is mostly due to hair and soap and whatnot. So we got some Liquid Plumr last night and used it. It seemed to work.

However, this morning, the drain is worse than ever. After a ten-minute shower, I was standing in about six inches of water. The tub took a few hours to drain. What gives? How in the heck did it get worse overnight? Is our tub infested with drain gremlins? Is more Liquid Plumr going to make it even worse?

P.S.: You have no idea how badly it irks me to type the word "plumr."

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you see into the drain at all? Some drains have a strainer, catch, whatever you call it below the tub level. You might need to use a flashlight to see it. If so, get our your handy pair of needle nose pliers and start pulling out hair.

If not, it's likely in the elbow. If another dose of the Liquid Plumr doesn't work, you can try a snake.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a plumber, but for what it's worth...

You may have partially disolved a blockage, which moved through the pipe or just took up less space, making the drain flow better. Then the blockage might have broken loose and hit another clog, with the two filling more of the drain than either did alone.

More LP might work, or you might want to buy a snake at the hardware store (pretty cheap, easy to use). If you have some LP yet, try it one more time.

By the way, be sure to run lots of water through the drain before using the tub after using LP. If it backs up into the tub, it could burn you pretty badly.

Good luck,

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You have now partially cleared the blockage(s), which have moved down the pipe to a worse spot and/or congregated.

This is why you should use the stuff for slow drains rather than the caustic stuff -- that, and your pipes will be a lot happier.

Try a plunger (or a snake, if you have one/can borrow one). Then buy the enzyme stuff.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hatrack plumbing squad to the rescue!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Silence! The Plumber's wife is speaking.

Is this the only drain you're having trouble with?

If it isn't, you have bigger problems, like a stopped up sewer. Also, are you on sewer or septic tank?

Snakes, and even the heavy duty sewer machines can be rented from equipment rental places. But, it's likely something you can get with the hand cranked snake they sell at Home Depot like places.

Liquid Plumr is not recommended - the chemicals can harm the inside of your pipes, by corroding away bits of the pipe wall, that will make it even more likely to clog, because then things like hair will snag on it and get stuck. In bathtub drains it's usually a hair clog.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is a home you rent, call the owner. If it's your house, beware that repeated Liquid Plumr use eats away pipes as well as what's blocking them. A friend of mine had to repipe her entire house because the previous owner used it like once a week on every drain.

Also, if you can just see down the drain and remove any hair manually, that can go a long way. I've built my house 3 years ago and have done this twice to clean up my drain.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The Hatrack Plumbing Squad defers to the expert.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

This is currently the only clogged drain. I can see water about an inch below the little catch thingy. I followed the directions for slow drains on the bottle. I'll try to pull out any hair that I can and then give the Liquid Plumr another shot. If that doesn't work, I'll just call the landlord.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Our maintenance guy told us that if your drain is being plugged with something plastic, the Liquid Plumr will make it swell, and make the clog worse.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a snake. It was amazing how much gunk I hauled out of our drain with one.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

<defers to the Plumber's Wife>

Wasn't that a movie?

Although the needle nose pliers still work for me. I should make my wife do it since I can tell it's her hair that's clogging it. I'm such a good husband. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Okay, I think I'll try a snake before pouring more Liquid Plumr down there.
rivka
Member # 4859

There is a whole other KIND of LP (and their competitors) for slow drains. The stuff that's been around for ever uses strong bases (mostly sodium hydroxide -- lye) to eat away at the protein/fat/inorganic material. But it ALSO eats away at the metal (or, to a lesser degree, PVC) of the pipes.

The stuff that hit the market about 10 years ago (IIRC) has no caustics. Instead, it contains enzymes and/or bacterial cultures. (Yum!) These eat away at the organic material (hair, skin, waste matter) that makes up the bulk of most clogs.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Go get the snake. They're not expensive and you need one around the house.

From your description, you have a clog. Hair, soap, and such makes a really good clog. [Smile] I have to manually remove hair from our drain catch periodically, and I've used needle nose pliers, nothing wrong with that!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I dug out a spider one time. He made a great framework to build a clog on.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion to get a snake. They work great if the clog is semi-close to the drain. They only cost between $10 and $20 at any hardware store. The hand-crank ones work just fine. One of the best tools I ever bought.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The gunk that comes out on the snake is so nasty.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Don't tell me that. [Angst]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, Jon Boy, have a bucket nearby that you don't care about. Then bury the bucket somewhere, so you never have to think about it again.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

It was like an entire ponytail. The worst part was that we hadn't lived here long and most of the hair wasn't ours.

[Angst]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

And then pour concrete over the area where you buried the bucket, then pave over it with brick and make it into a patio. And then put your grill right over that spot, so no one ever has to walk over it.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But I don't have a back yard! What the heck am I supposed to do now, huh? HUH?!
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Just be careful of clowns saying, "We all float down here"
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

If you get it out, take a picture and post it.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
That way Hatrack will feel your pain a little bit.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ooh, we shouldn't talk about clowns and drains in the same thread.

*shivers*

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I sooooooooo want to see this monster.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You people are SICK.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm the only female alive not squicked out about hair clogs. This makes me the only female who ever gets to clean the drains. I mean sure - it's gross, but it's hair. It's not like it's a dead gerbil.

....is it?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, sometimes it looks very much like a dead rodent . . . [Angst]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

A slimy dead rodent!
Belle
Member # 2314

It's the soap that makes it slimy.

The drains you don't want to clean out are the garbage disposal or the kitchen drains. Food clogs aren't just nasty to look at, they smell. [Angst]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another thread worthy of a vomit graemlin.
[Eek!]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.