FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Issue?????

Author Topic: The Issue?????
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy but why as a homosexual person do you want to be married in the first place. In the first place in my mind it is simply an old religous service performed to show the permanent union ( not just on earth but in heaven) between a man and a woman. That they'll parent their children in their faith and be good parents etc. So why would two men or two women in all logicalness even need to be married???

For the most part I see marriages of law just that. Just a paper union between two persons for the fiscal issues and to have custody of your children and ownership etc. If you're so big with your same sex partner than just give each other powers of attorney. you might not get some tax breaks etc, but hey thats not such a big deal. Why do you require the government to say your man and man, or wife and wife. Why does it matter so much what they say. The Government is not god. It is not the highest judge, even if you don't believe in a higher being. So I suppose to me its a debate about nothing as there is no issue there to be really discussed. Simply a human manifestation.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"In the first place in my mind it is simply an old religous service performed to show the permanent union ( not just on earth but in heaven) between a man and a woman."

Ah. But, see, that's where not everyone agrees with you. Obviously. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Careful, black fox.

I asked almost this identical question in a previous multi-page thread some time ago.

Was given many, many links. About sharing health benefits, being recognized as spouse for community property, etc. I'm sure you will get the same thing.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the thing though, people need to chill out on the issue. To me, if someone told me I couldn't marry another person I would just laugh. It doesn't matter what they say, or what a piece of paper says. It simply matters what is in my heart.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's rather easy to say when you have the OPTION of marrying someone else.

Frankly, I strongly suspect that if someone told you that you COULDN'T marry Pixie -- because, for example, soldiers didn't deserve to marry people -- you would get rather upset.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Being able to make medical decisions for your partner if incapacitated is a huge deal. Being the legal parent of your partner's kids is a huge deal.

Also, its not all about the legal benefits. Its about society recognizing hom couples in the same way it recognizes het couples. Its about not being a second class citizen.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.