FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The most brilliant 23 minutes of animation ever.

Author Topic: The most brilliant 23 minutes of animation ever.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently watched the futurama episode where Bender meets God. I'd seen it several times before, but this time I was in a reflective mood and paid it more than the usual attention. I was blown away. I honestly think this may be some of the most brilliant writing I've ever seen on TV.

It was funny, moving, made several really interesting points, and featured Bender, the best of all futurama characters. Has anyone else seen this episode and felt sadness the awesome potential that was lost forever when Futurama was cancelled?

Bender pushing the torpedo out of the torpedo tube as he climbs in for a nap, then saying to it, "Come back later, baby, when I've had some sleep."

Bender being shot through the space pirate ship, and coming out the other side with a bag of swag, which he throws to slow himself down.

As Bender is left adrift in space playing his piano: "Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned, adrift for all eternity with hardly any swag. Do not ask for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."

The needlepoint on his worshipper Malachi's wall: "The metal Lord is my metal shephard"

The monks locked in the laundry room: "Let us out! We cooked our shoes in the dryer and ate them, and now we're bored!"

Fry, when he realizes they will have to go back and let the monks out: "But they're monks! Surely their god will let them out, or give them more shoes to eat."

The entire conversation between Bender and God.

Brilliant.

[ February 25, 2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode.

Alas for Futurama.

*moment of silence*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have the exact quote of what God says at the end? Something like "When you do things right, people will hardly be sure you've done anything at all." I had never thought about that in reference with God, but I had always believed that about raising children.

Oh man do I miss Futurama. [Frown]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Godfellas
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Futurama. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.