FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Thank You to our Hosts...

Author Topic: A Thank You to our Hosts...
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's been done before, but I thought with all that is going on, it might be nice to thank the Cards for allowing us into their virtual living room.

Everyone here is very much a part of this community, and gets involved, especially when issues that particularly affect them, or invoke strong emotions, are discussed. I love the fact that people can debate and remain (mostly) civil. I love the fact I get exposed to so many different points of view - some which I listen to and still don't believe ( [Smile] ) and some which change the way I think about things.

But in all that, I guess we tend to feel a bit of ownership: it's 'our' forum, we're here all the time, we know all the in jokes (hey, we *make* the in jokes) and I, at least, forget that ownership actually belongs to our hosts.

So while I will probably keep disagreeing with some of the views of OSC (in a civil fashion) I do appreciate the Cards’ generosity and willingness to provide us with this forum, Kristine’s fairness as a moderator, and Geoff’s ability in debating ‘hot’ points with rationality, calmness and tolerance.

And after all, we have the Cards to thank for one more thing: if it wasn’t for them, we wouldn’t have met each other! [Big Grin]

So thank you very much – we all do appreciate being in your living room an awful lot.

[ February 28, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this thread imogen, and THANK YOU to the Cards!! [Hat]

We really do love you dearly and I appreciate this place so much!! [Group Hug]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, yes, thank you! Very much! [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thank you for all you do.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, thank you! Most sincerely! to the whole Card family...

(I was hoping perhaps Scott & Kristine would plan a surprise visit to the Chicago gathering, but now that we've had a week like this last one on the forum, I'm afraid they won't even consider it)...

Hugs to all!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Thank you SO much!!! [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you [Hat]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
We really don't say this enough. Thank you, Cards.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] <--- Is this smilie supposed to mean you are complementing someone, or that you are graciously accepting a complement? I never know which, but if it's the former, then it's the one I want here. [Smile]

I get so much out of this place. There are so many people I've met in real life as a result of Hatrack, and so many more I'd like to. (I'd start a list, but I'm certain I'd forget somebody. [Wink] ) I enjoy our conversations so much, and I almost feel as though we have our own small town here. (And even though OSC doesn't show up at the coffee shop much, I even feel like I know him a little better by proximity. [Smile] ) I'm glad that, so far, the Cards feel this forum is worth the hassle. I worry sometimes that their attention is only called to Hatrack when something ugly happens, and that they will forget how much community is built here.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for providing us this place to meet.

[Group Hug] The Card family [Group Hug]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I always read this little guy [Hat] to be a 'hats off' and a bow - so a compliment to the person it's directed to.

In which case, it is the spirit of this thread... [Hat] to the Card family.

And Icarus - I agree. It is a mostly positive community - that's why we all stick around. We all gain from having our little town alive and well.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is not said enough, so I add my thanks to the chorus. [Smile]

Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Card, for this wonderful forum and your patience. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, this has been a long time coming. Thank you both very much for putting up with us! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been keeping out of the disagreements, as most of my points had already been made by other posters better than I ever could. But I have been so impressed at how such heated discussions hardly ever broke down into name calling and abuse. Wow, you guys...

I have such respect for Cards for allowing such freedom on their own territory and for having such grace under pressure and criticism. Thank you for this wonderful site.
Now, when are you coming to the UK? I know so many people who would love to see you... [Smile]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Card! [Hail] [Kiss]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you with providing us with a place in which many of us have bonded important, lasting friendships. I can't think you enough.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
(*u*) t'ank 'ou!
Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Card,
I am so impressed with the level of thought here. That is because people are attracted to your incredible intelligence, combined with a phenomenal imagination. Thank you for letting people speak their minds, even when it is not favorable to you. It makes you rise even higher in my esteem. How brave you are!
Thank you.
Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am new and all, but I would like to say a Thanks as well. Mainly 'cause I can already tell that there is a better class of people involved in this forum than some of the others I participate in. at least the topics are better. Mr. Card how do you do it?!?!?!? [Hail]

[ February 29, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
whispers Pssst, hey Stan. There's an edit function (located in that little icon above every post next to the profile icon) that allows you to correct your mistakes after you've posted and a delete function for posts within that edit function.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should report this thread, for the Cards to see it. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Our hosts cannot be thanked enough for allowing Hatrack to thrive. [Group Hug]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Card family, for including us in yours if only just a little bit. [Hat]

{{{Card Family}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

*bumpity bump bump*
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. This thread means a lot, especially this week [Smile] Hatrack is a community we are very proud to be a part of. Kristine
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
This place has influenced my life in so many ways. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe I've only been here a year. I really do appreciate having Hatrack in my life, so thank you to the hosts and mods.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Thank you for this place. [Smile]
quote:
Sometimes it's hard for me to believe I've only been here a year.
And yet, you hold the record for the most simultaneous tribute threads. I have fond memories of that day.

[ March 01, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I still tend to stay out of the more heated threads I have really appreciated the caring nature of this place. Even if there are different views, the people here definately care about one another. For me, expecially recently, it has been good to be able to get some things out in the open to discuss with others.

Thanks Hatrack, and more importantly thank you Cards for this wonderful place. In 7th grade OSC introduced me to the wonders of reading with Ender's Game and now this past year I have been introduced to a wonderful community as well.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've already posted in this thread, but I'm posting again. Orson and Kristine, thank you for giving me a place where I feel like I belong.

(((Card family)))

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And yet, you hold the record for the most simultaneous tribute threads. I have fond memories of that day.
I tell you what, sister, you ain't the only one. [Smile]
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, a thread that we can all agree on!

Thank you, awesome hosts!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I missed this. I want to extend a warm, fond, loving thank you to our wonderful mods, those people who keep this place clean and nice for all of us.

Really and truly I consider this place my home online, and I'd not give it up for anything.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Cards))))
If nothing else, look at the Hatrack couples!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Thank you for sharing your living room with us.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.