FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How did you first learn about "The Birds and the Bees?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How did you first learn about "The Birds and the Bees?"
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be too personal a question for some--sorry. Talking about the Asimov magazine and youth being exposed to sex made me think of it.

I don't remember how old I was, but for me it was reading a book from the school library about walruses. Yes, WALRUSES. I had been vaguely aware of sexual things before that, but it was reading this book that the whole Tab A into Slot B epiphany happened. Can you imagine me, this mostly innocent young girl having her first impression of sexual intercourse being walruses humping?

I seem to remember not long after that my mom wanted to have "The Talk" with me. I caught the scent of it and avoided her like the plague. I was in no mood to talk about it! If I remember correctly, we never did have "The Talk". Fortunately, I got over it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Osmosis... Eventually I learned that a + b leads to C
and also my father and stepmother told me, but I already knew [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my parents were Christians, and they would read the bible to me all the time, so naturally whenever they came to the parts where it says "So-and-so had sexual relations with his wife", i asked them what that meant. For a long time I got nothing but vague non-answers, until one day I nagged them enough that my mom bought a book explaining the whole process and read it to me. I remember being a bit disappointed at the time, I thought it would be something much more interesting and mysterious... heh heh.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
From sci fi books. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What about them? [Confused] They both fly but only one stings.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, mack, but bees produce HONEY.

And stings can be avoided.

I'll take honey over birdpoop any day.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate bees.

No, wait. Actually, I hate wasps.

Bees are okay, provided I stay way from beehives.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sex ed class in 4th grade. School nurse pulled 10 of us at a time (boys and girls) out of recess for a week. Good class -- straightforward info given with humor. Most of us said "ewww" and happily went back to being kids for a few more years.

(Had another sex ed class in 6th grade. That one was embarassing -- our social science teacher gave it to a class of 25 of us -- kids making lots of dumb jokes and getting the teacher annoyed... the 4th grade class was way better, that was the better way to do it.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was three, being carried in a buggy and minding my own business, a bird flying overhead pooped on me. It was a life-changing experience - the start of that growing feeling that no place was really safe. [Angst]

I didn't learn about bees until two years later, when one flew into the corner of my eye, apparently stinger-first. [Eek!]

Great topic! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
wasps are the worse. evil things
I learned about certain biolgical processes in two places in two ways
in the south they separated us, gave us pamphlets and showed us a video saying, it will happen to you!
But they didn't separate us in NY even though they gave us the same pamphlets until the last part of the presentation. [Eek!]
then in &th grade we got the explanation again, only separate from the boys again... [Angst]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate birds and bees.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

^
|
|
|
|
Crotchety

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I skipped &th grade.

Too smart, said they.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Encyclopedia.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
I hate birds and bees.
For once, I'm with you Ick.

One of them poops on your car - and even on your person if you're not constantly scanning the heavens.

And the insect is responsible for me not wanting to go barefoot in grassy areas.

[Grumble]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ticks make me not want to go barefoot in grassy areas. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Horse Flies are scarier than bird, bees and wasps combined. Once they lock onto you, they *will* hunt you down until they sting you.
mackillian
Member # 586

Horse fly bites friggin HURT.

Scorpions. Ew. ew ew ew ew.

I once lived in a house infested with them.

Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
" Ah, it's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the bees are trying to have sex with them...as is my understanding..."
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I just realized that anyone coming into Hatrack for the very first time and reading this thread would reasonably come to the conclusion that some of us sure have a lot of issues, don't we. [Wink]

Where's that freedom thread? Freedom: the right to have issues.

PS - thanks, Mack - never thought about the blankety-blank ticks and my feet. I already won't go into a wooded area without a hat. [Grumble]

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 7'ish, I believe, but forgot how I learned.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had "the talk" on the way to school one day. I think it was in sixth grade. I didn't have a complete understanding of the concept, and when my mom explained it to me I recall saying, "Eww! People do that?!" [Eek!] [Wink]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Birds do it. Bees do it. Even educated fleas can do it.
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a big hardback A-Z of the human body. It took me until I was about 9 to get as far as the reproductive system (that was chapter 10 or 11), but anyways I read that before my mother got the chance to have "the talk" with me. However I don't recall ever finding the idea disgusting. My sister did, though....
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother read us books about it from an early age. So it just kind of grew, starting off vague and then getting more "grown-up."

I don't ever remember being squicked out, just kind of bemused.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents were always straight and to the point with me. I don't remember exactly how or when they taught me, but I know I knew about it before I entered kindergarten. Just the basic anatomical mechanics and sacredness of it, though, not the technical things.

And horse flies are the worst. If nothing else, those serve as a perfect example of why New England sucks.

[ February 28, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Black flies?
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn some of those posts were hilarious [Big Grin] . I was told by one of the worst individuals possible, a friend and neighbor, back when I was in third grade. The same guy who came up with bizarre, creative insults involving body parts that I had never heard of before and probably shouldn't write about here. Anyway I didn't believe him at first, but he was so bloody insistent and smart that I eventually bought it, though I was still quite disgusted. Just didn't seem right, or sensible to my eight or nine year old mind. Now that guy is serving as a resident at Baylor, who would have guessed he'd become a doctor?

Wasps and bees, damn, I got stung, TWICE, by Wasps this past summer and completely freaked out wondering if my allergy to bee stings would also apply to Wasp stings. Happily it didn't, it just sucked.

I've managed to avoid the bird poop problem, though I had one classic incident in fifth grade, where I had just completed a deal, sending Doritos to Mark for his Twix, and the second he opened the doritos bag, Sea Gull poop dropped right into the middle of it, before he could even turn around and utter a word to me I'd jammed both twix sticks into my mouth. I think I developed my first understanding of Capitalism at that moment [Wink] . Not my proudest moment, but certainly one of the few things I still remember from fifth grade along with the Challenger blowing up.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, don't tell my dad, but films of ill repute that I took from his closet. [Evil] [ROFL] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My father had a little pink hardback book of 19th century short erotic stories translated from the French (Baudelaire, Maupassant, Gauthier, etc). I found it in the bottom drawer of his closet, same place he kept the china doll from his grandmother (which I knew I would eventually inherit, but could not wait to play with). What intriguing stories.

This was followed shortly by Fanny Hill, or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure, found under the next layer of clothes. [Eek!] I never fully recovered.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the 'Where do I come from?' book when I was about 5 or so. So by the time my brother was born 18 months later, I knew *exactly* what had gone on between my parents!

I wasn't too icked out though - I was more fascinated with the new book I got showing the different stages of baby development. I liked contrasting Mum's stomach with what the book said my little brother looked like inside.

It was a fairly realistic book: the after birth picture was all purply-red and suitably grimy (none of that immaculately clean nonsense). So I was pretty upset that Joe was jaundiced, and came with more of a yellowish tinge to him: I wanted purple!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]

Actually, I still haven't learned.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pooped on by birds on three separate occasions. [Mad] Fowl creatures!

As for bees, my grandfather was a beekeeper, and -- given enough smoke to whiff around -- I can play with the stuporous fluffies.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
No irreverence inteded, but I found my mom's teaching methods amusing:

When I was 6, she was pregnant with my little sister and we got all kinds of books on how a baby develops with the cool in-utero photography. I was fascinated and had a great time talking to my friends about things like amniotic sacks. It was only after carefully studying the subject that I asked one day "Mom - how does the sperm get from the dad into the mom's uterus?" She told me quite matter-of-factly, "It happens when they're very close together." For years I would watch cuddling couples in fascination, picturing microscopic flying sperm jumping between them.

It was only on the playground in 4th grade that I learned otherwise from my friend Paula. I was so grossed out I refused to believe her. I was much more content believing my mom's half-truth. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

OK - I can't be the only one thinking this...

What kind of smoke were you and your grandfather whiffing on, CT? [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Smoke makes bees, well, sleepy. Plain old smoke.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Encyclopedia.
Yozhik, me too! [Big Grin]

Well, that's not precisely true. I was informed by a bunkmate the summer I went to camp. I was horrified and told her she was a liar.

Cut to five weeks later, maybe a day after I got home. It was rather difficult to look things up in the Encyclopedia Britannica, when one volume sent me to another volume, and it used words I needed a dictionary to define . . . eventually, I not only discovered that she'd been right, but many other interesting things.

I found out many years later that my parents had been waiting patiently for ME to ask them questions. Oops.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly sure when I learned about sex.

But I have a funny story about my first "date" (using the term loosely).

It was my first year at camp, and everyone in my bunk, if not the entire male population, told me "You're dating X." and seemed to imply "Or off to the guillotine!"
I didn't really care either way...I was going into 8th grade, and, though well into puberty, didn't really care. Oh wait. Some people tell me I'm in college now, and I still don't really care either way. But anyways, I sort of went on the date to humor them, and it...um....didn't work too well. And then I got mad at them for dragging me into it in the first place, and it was all a big mess...oh yeah, and my camp is cool.

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't remember when i first had the tab+slot epiphany, but i do remember that girls camp and sleepovers were when we would all look forward to that time between sunrise and sunset when we'd all exchange what new information we'd procured on the subject.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Thinking about it, it was my neighbor friend that taught me what he knew (1st or second grade). Combine that with TV. Luckily, I've never had to have 'the talk' one on one with an adult.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Alia Brost, fourth grade.

This girl was all drama, and she needed a sidekick. [Wave] She was so boy-crazy her parents put in an all-girl Catholic school for fifth grade, but over the course of fourth grade, she managed to "date" half the boys in our class, including my two-years-already crush, tell a series of dirty jokes to me she then needed to explain, and kiss-ambush my older brother. She told me once, in a conspiratorial whisper, that she had started her period, and I didn't have the foggiest idea what she was talking about. Just like in "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret.", the precocious kid was practically a pathological liar. What Alia left out, I filled in with encyclepedias.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a vague idea before but it was not until seventh grade, Health and safety class, that my questions were answered.

*Scratches head* I actually was not aware until last summer that babies came out from "there" as opposed to being concieved as Otis- of the Milo and Otis fame was- from the bum.

Before seventh grade, I theorized about the tab+slot concept but I- ahem... I had the wrong slot. [Blushing]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a long struggle. It all started on a "regular" day back in fourth grade. I was reading the Encylopida when several men armed with guns ran into the room! They kicked the book out of my hands, and, without a single word more, they ran out of there!

I was spooked. But I had to find out the truth. So I went to the library--only to find all copies of the Encylo- gone! Obviously something terribly odd was going on.

The mystery thickened when I came back home. All the dictionaries in my house were gone.

What did I do...?

Well, I took out my atomic rubber band shooter, then aimed it at--ooops?! Look at the time. I've gotta go. More later.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi & Phanto: [ROFL]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
By the age of seven, I was reading the adult section of the library. I can actually remember being confused by the story of Tristan chasing his love, who had been turned into a "white hind," and wondering if this was going to be one of THOSE kind of books. *wry laugh*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents bought a great book about the human body. There was a secion on each system -- skeletel, muscular, nervous, reproductive, etc.. I loved that book. A couple of weeks went by, and my father came and asked enough questions to know that I understood what sex was. That was it.

We were not a very open and communicative family. Something that drives my wife crazy...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Well, least he asked you questions at all.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching a commercial for feminine products and asked what they were for. (Previously I had been told they were "airplane stickers".) My mother then proceeded to give me a two-hour lecture including everything she could think of on the subject, including diagrams she drew herself on paper napkins. She left out a couple of really important things, for example...she told me men wanted to reproduce because if they didn't, their "things" would just keep bothering them. (Actually, I believe she said "hurting" them.) That didn't explain anything about why WOMEN would let men anywhere near them. She said nothing about good feelings. (Probably didn't want to make it sound too interesting.) Plus she didn't explain the, um...function of the male very well. After the talk was done, I got a good idea that men walked around always physically ready for sex.

I wasn't grossed out or embarrassed at all, I don't think. But I probably had a million questions.

Of course, I learned all the really important things from friends and TV afterwards.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtualron
Member # 6226

- posted      Profile for virtualron   Email virtualron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still WAITING for someone to give me the talk about "The Birds and the Bees"... I don't know WHAT the heck I'm doing... [Confused]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.