FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » favorite quotes?

Author Topic: favorite quotes?
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
so i'm designing a sunscreen that's going to be in front of a library, and we want to cover it in little quotes, but we've only got enough for about half the area we need to cover, so i thought i'd appeal to hatrack for help.

what are your favorite quotes? they don't have to be about anything specific, just the things you've read that seemed important enough to remember.

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean quotations, I think. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
and you can find others of his HERE

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
" All the tears women cry they leave no mark on the world" -mariom zimmer Bradley
"I want to wake the dead lovers of the world with our laughter and stir their ashes into pain." -Oscar wilde
[The Wave]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"How could I possibly be expected to handle school on a day like this?"
Ferris Bueller

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not thinking. You are merely being logical." - Niels Bohr to Albert Einstein during a debate
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
A statesman is just a dead politician, and lord knows we need more statesmen.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"The greatest tragedy is not to live and die, as we all must. The greatest tragedy is for a person to live and die without knowing the satisfaction of giving life to others." Cesar E. Chavez

"Not everybody can be famous, but everyone can be great because greatness is determined by service" Martin Luther King Jr.

"Be neither the wolf nor the sheep, but the shepherd." Quote from a friend

[ March 01, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
"A free and open society is an ongoing conflict, interrupted periodically by compromises."
-- Saul Alinsky

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
Try at famousquotes.com
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
In a recent discussion I had with a friend this has become one of my favorite quotes of all time. And I mean this seriously, not jokingly.

quote:
"...we know, there are known unknowns; there things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." --Donald Rumsfeld

[ March 01, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
kat: Attribute, lady! You make me cry! ;_; (kat's quote is by Robert Frost)

Here are some of my fave quotes!! Mostly by Robert Frost. Yes, why yes I am obsessed...

"I'm against a homogenized society, because I want the cream to rise." - Robert Frost

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on." - Robert Frost

"It takes a lot of in- and outdoor schooling/to get adapted to my kind of fooling." -Robert Frost

"I had a lover's quarrel with the world." - Robert Frost (This one's actually on his gravestone, and was my senior quote... (dances))

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a weekly quotations page at sakeriver. Although, I haven't updated it on a weekly basis ever.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spice Weasel
Member # 6262

- posted      Profile for Spice Weasel   Email Spice Weasel         Edit/Delete Post 
"No one ever got fired for making their boss look good."
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking ."
JOHN KENNETH GALBRAITH

"Truth is not determined by majority vote ."
DOUG GWYN

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
OSCAR WILDE

"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind ."
RALPH WALDO EMERSON

"The bigger the information media, the less courage and freedom they allow. Bigness means weakness ."
ERIC SEVAREID

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I think this quote puts life very well.....

"Get 'er done."

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping there'd be a thread on this already. I found a great quote while reading Polybius' "Rise of the Roman Empire"

"Now, human nature is always fallible, and to meet with some unpredictable mishap is not the fault of the victim, but rather of ill-fortune, or of those who have inflicted it on him. But when we err with our eyes open and involve ourselves in great tribulations through sheer lack of judgement, then everyone agrees that we have nobody to blame but ourselves."

I think that's an extremely eloquent way of saying willful ignorance is your own fault. For a 2200 year old book, I'm amazed at how things ring true through the ages.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
"the war that matters is the war against the imagination
all other wars are subsumed in it.

the ultimate famine is the starvation
of the imagination

it is death to be sure, but the undead
seek to inhabit someone else's world"

-From Diane Di Prima's poem "Rant"

"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"The Dude abides."
The Dude, The Big Lebowski

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws,
scuttling across the floors of silent seas"
-T.S. Elliot "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
"Friends are like potato chips, when you eat them, they die."

"Wise-man say, before you judge someone, walk mile in their shoe, then you be mile away, and have their shoe."

"When catapults are outlawed, only the outlaws will have catapults."

"Why spoil the beauty of a thing, with legality?"
-Theodore Rex

"Archie, you say the stupidist things sometimes.
Well, it'r far better to listening to them dear boy."
-Earnest and Earnest, the Importance of Being Earnest

"I drank what!?!"
-Socrates.

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." Tolkien, FOTR

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but man cannot staying in the cradle forever." Tsiokolvsky (sp?)

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you're looking for library quotes, I think this one is appropriate.

" Silence is golden, but solitude is richer still."
--Anna Johnson—

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
"Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

"Roads are for journeys, not destinations." Anna and the King

This is my favorite: "Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the trouble makers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them; about the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things, they push thehuman race forward. And while some see them as the "crazy ones," we see genius because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do." -Apple Computers

"You're the one the world's been waiting for." -Brother Blue

If you need more, just IM me. I have a whole book full of amazing quotes.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're dead sexy... but you'd be sexier dead" -- Jeffrey Dahlmer
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man in the world. At 26, I was amazed by how much the old man had learned in the intervening years." -- Mark Twain.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I defy the tyranny of precedent.
- Clara Barton

Despair is only for those who know the end beyond all doubt.
- JRR Tolkien (LotR)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
- ?

This too shall pass.
- ?

I am infected with life and will die of it in time.
- Peter S Beagle

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
When you are the hammer, strike; when you are the anvil, bear.
-- attributed to Russian proverb

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that famous Kerouac quote from On the Road: "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace things, but burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes "AWWW!"

I also love the insert of Hesse's Demien. This is from memory so it might not be exact: "I wanted only to stay true to myself. Why was that so very difficult"

These probably won't work as they are incredibly nihilistic, but I love EM Cioran: "Tell me how you want to die,
and I'll tell you who you are."/"Only a flower that falls is a complete flower, say the Japanese. One is tempted to say as much of a civilization. "

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristen, you just reminded me of another really good one.

What is to give light must endure burning.
- Victor Frankl

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Never underestimate the beauty and power of human stupidity.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
"I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member."-Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
-Steve Wozniak

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.