FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any Japanese Speakers out There?

Author Topic: Any Japanese Speakers out There?
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
I know that no one may care to answer this question, but it's really been bugging me. I'm in Japanese I at my high school and right now we're studying verb forms. I don't understand how people decide this is going to be an "u" verb, this is going to be a "ru" verb and this is "irregular" what makes the word so that the "dictionary form" is a certain way? Anyone? [Big Grin] ...sorry it's just really been bugging me. [Grumble]
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of the many mysteries of Japanese...
Wait until you get to verb conjugation and saying I gave my plant water, my son gave me a cookie and I gave my boss a flower. *ShuddeR* [Grumble]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait until you get to verb conjugation and saying I gave my plant water, my son gave me a cookie and I gave my boss a flower.
You must mean the use of honorifics. You use a different verb, depending on the social status of the recipient of the action. You give the flower UP to the boss, the cookie goes DOWN to your son, and water goes WAY DOWN to the lowly plant. At least the son knows that he ranks higher than a plant.

How do you say "cookie" in Japanese?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably クッキー

Japanese love stealing our words.

(That may not display correctly unless you have the Japanese language pack installed)

[ March 01, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I envy you people. I have to wait a while to start learning Japanese. I only know a little bit right now...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check this site out.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(groans) All right Cow, for that you get a pieing.

(pies Cow)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Yatta! [Cool]
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Taal, can you please explain to me how to type the Japanese characters? I think I've downloaded everything I need but I'm finding almost nothing explaining how to actually DO it and it's driving me INSANE.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a page copied from my buddy's easy conjugator book (looks like he studied while cooking):

Easy Conjugator

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
To type, you'll need a Microsoft IME. That pages gives you information on what it is, and lets you download it. Then, once you have the Katakana or Hiragana selected, you just type phonetically. You can also set it to automatically convert to Kanji (which takes a small amount of doing to get the character you want).
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the IME and I've tried all that. I can't figure out what's wrong.

Nevermind. The word "phonetically" was the key. [Embarrassed] I assumed that there were kana corresponding to keystrokes.

[ March 02, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

*double post/bump*

Wait, now how do I do Kanji?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.