FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newbies, Trolls and hoaxes? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Newbies, Trolls and hoaxes?
Thread Killa
Member # 4398

- posted      Profile for Thread Killa   Email Thread Killa         Edit/Delete Post 
Vive la Canuckistan!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, french will always have this over english: it has funny squiggles over the letters. We are way behind the spanish and the scandinavians, but at least we got 'em! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but french is the language that uses three times the letters it needs.

At least we only use twice what we need.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't accuse you . . . I asked you with tongue in cheek!
It's not my fault KACard took it seriously!

[Big Grin]

Hey, we're cool.

This story is fun to tell. And retell. [Big Grin]

Please don't ever leave, though. Most of the fun would be sucked out if you weren't around to read it. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
But no squiggles. [Frown]

Ènglish wöuld bé sô much more intérêsting îf we wrôte it like thïs, nô?

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, could you add me to that email?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] So fun to see you speak French ! And I mean it in the most respectfull way. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Je vous en prie, tout le plaisir est pour moi. [Big Grin]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
on its way celia
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of those who put very little in my profile. There is a certain amount of protection in the anonymity of internet communication, for I have seen things go sickly awry. But I like this forum (I second what my husband Porter has said) it is soooo much classier than what I have seen out there in my small experience. I wouldn't mind at all sharing more of myself here. For instance, beverly is NOT my real name, it is Mary Cate. I was trying to come up with something on the spot, and I was thinking of the character Beverly Crusher from STNG whom I admire and respect.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
<bites tongue over obvious joke I'm sure you heard before>
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just an opinionated jackass.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray for people with two names for a first name! [Smile]

<--- Anne Kate

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Actually, Mary Cate is technically my nickname. My first name is Mary and my middle name is Catherine. Uber doober Catholic sounding, ne? I like it though.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is Anne Catherine, in fact. But what I mean is that you go by Mary Cate instead of just plain Mary. [Smile] (Mine is Catholic too, I guess, though I never thought of it that way.)

[ March 02, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Cool! I guess that's the case with most two-first-namers.
beverly
Member # 6246

If someone *were* to visit my profile and if someone were to visit Orem, and they did pronounce it that way, and they got laughed at, please don't hate me.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just about squished John L's head for being an uppity newbie. But I'm glad I choose the road less taken on that one, when I found out he was of the "made over oldbie" variety. Not like he would hate me less if I had done that.

So are we pretty much safe taking the name of OSC-fan in vain here?

P.S. Da_Goat, Nathan can tell you it's much better to be hot than cool.

[ March 02, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to consider myself. I've been registered since June, so I'm not particularly "new." Yet my post count is so low it's kinda pathetic.

I don't know why I don't post more often. I've been thinking about this for a while now, and have come up with a few possible reasons. First, I don't feel like I have the time to draft a coherent point that wasn't better made by someone else. I type slow; I compose even slower. Second, I have this irrational fear that my viewpoints will offend someone, so I'd rather let someone else say them. A third reason is I don't seem to catch the threads until they've pretty much died, and I kill them off. Another reason is I use my own real name as my handle (actually, this happened accidentally when I put my name in the wrong field during my registration) so I don't want anything I say to be stupid.

I have a question for other people who have been registered for a long time but have low post counts. I've just listed some of my reasons why I don't post often. What are some of yours?

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC-fan damnit!

Naw, it doesn't really roll off the tongue that well.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Now I'm posting a lot, but at first I didn't really dare, first because things are going very quick here and my English wasn't as good as it is now, in terns of reading speed, and people here knew each other since such a long time I was always afraid not to understand a private joke. Now I know I'm doomed to not understand some private jokes, but I'm OK with it, and I know more people, and I'm reading English faster.

[ March 02, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

By the way Brian, you can always choose a new screen name. You will lose your post count, but that shouldn't bother you.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
people here knew each other since such a long time I was always afraid not to understand a private joke
I had that worry for a while, but, like you, I got over it. Same with the screen name issue. I guess Anonymity ain't all its cracked up to be. Yet still, being totally out in the open sometimes makes me hesitant to post my opinions.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

After a while, I am so Anna that I sometimes hesitate to post in fear to shame that name [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.