FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Germination-An Update

Author Topic: Germination-An Update
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, my fiancee and I are working on germinating the seeds for our potted herb garden for this year. We've taken styrofoam cups filled with potting soil, inserted seeds, and covered the cups with plastic wrap.

As I smoothed the potting soil over the seeds, I wondered if there was something to be said about one's personality by how they make seeds grow. Does whether they place the seeds in a plastic baggie with a paper towel and water or just shove them in the dirt show insight on how you view the world?

I was also curious, how do other Jatraqueros choose to germinate seeds?

[ March 10, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: BelladonnaOrchid ]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my hydroponics system going I did it a couple ways. You can first germinate them in a dark place betwen paper towels. Then with tweezers delicately transver the seedlings to the starter media. I used rockwool cubes.

The other way I did it was sticking seeds into Jiffy pellets.

I don't know that it actually said anything about my personality... but maybe it did and I don't know it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: giggles ::

Depending upon what plants, I sow seeds in open trays or celled trays, if they're plants like allium, I'll put them into the fridge for a year, covered. If they're asters then i'll let them sit on top of the soil.
:: giggles ::
I've been brought up on a flower farm...and it shows [Big Grin]
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a miserable failure at seed starting last year. The seeds I started in my celled tray grew too quickly and stringy -- they mustn'tve been getting enough light and I most likely started them too early. The seeds I direct sowed in my garden were overcome with weeds. *laugh*

All in all, though, I was impressed that I did get the carrots, onions and tomatoes.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All in all, though, I was impressed that I did get the carrots, onions and tomatoes.
...Or did you? [Eek!]

*dun*

*dun*

*DUN!*

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My attitude towards seed-starting is that it's almost always cheaper, especially in terms of time and disappointment, to buy the finished plant and stick it in the ground.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing orchids, I would surface-sterilize the seed, then sow them aseptically on a modified Knudsen's "C" media. They would usually germinate in 2-6 weeks, then I'd have to transfer them to fresh media about once a month until they were ready to pot up.

Totally irrelevant, I know. [Smile]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Moonrabbit, not at all irrelevant. In fact, I'm glad to find there is a fellow Hatracker struck with orchid-fever.

And germination, is, after all, germination.

What is beside-the-point, is that Rick and I went out and bought a some-what grown rose bush today. We've never done roses before, does anybody out there have any tips on fertilization and care?

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband, the engineer, devised a PVC-pipe structure to hold grow lights that fits under our rectangular dining table. We put the seeds in reusable pots, peat pots, or the kind you can make from strips of newspaper. Through trial and error, we learned to keep them watered from the bottom and that grow-mats can really help. I still have trouble with damping off sometimes.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My attitude towards seed-starting is that it's almost always cheaper, especially in terms of time and disappointment, to buy the finished plant and stick it in the ground.
As a veggie farmer, I'd agree with Tom. Seed starting is a fussy process -- different seeds have very different needs for light, moisture, heat, etc., and it takes a lot of TLC to keep the moisture level right day after day for a month or two.

It's a good thing to try, to get a sense of what it's like... but unless you're a farmer -- or someone with a BIG garden -- you're better off buying seedlings and saving your energy for other work.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I use tiny little terracotta pots in a small plastic greenhouse. It is so cute.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

The Update:

Of the things that we are germinating, this is the list of successes that we are having so far:

Chives
Basil
Lady Lavender
Chamomile
Moss Rose
Coriander
Coleus

The things that have yet to germinate:

Sage
Garlic Chives
True Lavender

However, the Sage and the Garlic Chives we planted after the rest of the seeds, so they may take a little longer. We won't cry if the True Lavender doesn't germinate, though-we were planting it just to see if it would grow. From what I understand, this isn't really the season to start lavender, that would have been in the Fall I think.

If the temperature wasn't supposed to drop below freezing next week, our germinated seeds would be ready to set outside in their cups! We're all getting excited about our garden!

Oh, and we did somehow manage to plant something without knowing it-we discovered a flattening in the pot with our rose bush in it, that could have only been caused by the planting of a feline. There are quite a few cats around here, hopefully the bush can grow fast enough that this doesn't become a problem.

Rick, my fiancee, keeps bugging me to get one of those zip-up plastic greenhouses that fits over the stand for our orchids for the Spring and Fall. Has anybody tried them? I'm hesitant that they'll fry my orchids.

Oh-and I am starting to suspect that the way that you germinate plants does say something about your personality...there's not enough evidence yet to come to a final conclusion, or to develop a formula for personality testing based on germination habits.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Roses are really susceptible to powdery mildew. Get a commercial fungicide at the first sign of it. (dusty-looking white or grey powder on the stems)
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if they're plants like allium, I'll put them into the fridge for a year,
I had a can of chili that sprouted using that method.

Seriously, this is fascinating, since I know nothing on the subject. And BelladonaOrchid, I was beginning to wonder if you were AWOL. It's good to see you.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

Awww, shucks. [Blushing]

Seriously, however, I was just lurking about-I got a new job as a CSR for DirecTV in December and I hadn't had the time to post until recently. It's good to be interacting in Hatrack again-thanks for the welcome back, Pooka!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
yummmm sounds like an awesome herb garden. We have way too much to do this year to get our yard whipped into shape on the basic stuff. Maybe next year I can have an actually garden.

Until then please keep us posted so I can live vicariously through you!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

Germination update as requested:

We have sage! We have garlic chives!

The coriander is now about 3 inches tall, and has grown past the lid of the cup, and the sage and regular chives aren't far behind.

...and maybe, just maybe, my room-mate will allow me to take pictures of them with his digi-cam so I can post them on foobonic.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
BelladonnaOrchid, good to see you around. [Smile] And go for the pictures -- that would be great. So you'd definitely choose to go the seed route again?

quote:
My husband, the engineer, devised a PVC-pipe structure to hold grow lights that fits under our rectangular dining table.
Way cool, Jenny.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.