FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think it was in a commercial. We've all seen it, but who remembers commercials?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to suspect that there is just some property to it that it sounds familiar without having ever really existed beforehand.

Perhaps here is evidence of the collective consciousness. And what does it focus on but the fact that something is so very cool because it doesn't DO anything!

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The lines were from an episode of "Hiatus." Glad I could clear this pesky problem up for you.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
<smacks forehead>

I knew I had heard it!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
To reiterate for all you johnny-come-latelies on this, I've done extensive research into the meme.

It was part of a psychological experiment in the 1970's, in which test subjects were told that this line was a part of popular culture, and asked to supply the source.

Up to this point in popular culture, it had no extant source, and none has since been recovered that predates the experiment. The immediacy and humor of the line, as well as its absurdity, appeals to the reader and makes it feel authentic. It isn't from the Simpson's, and it isn't from family guy, or Seinfeld, or any other source to which it has been attributed.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
That link on the last page is eerily close, but i'm positive beyond all doubt that i've never seen that movie, or the clip of the movie, before in my life. also, after the original "do?" i was anticipating another line, so i've still got that pesky quote ingrained in here somewhere and it isn't the dialogue in that scene.

*le sigh*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Does. Not. Exist.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is it does exist - right here - and its an ingrained part of anyone who read this thread at one time - someone needs to get a movie made that contains this line and put us out of our misery [Big Grin]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie in http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=051545;p=1&r=nfx#000000:
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
Tatiana: By "them" do you mean the VeggieTales films, and "that" you mean the credits?

If that's what you mean, the answer's no. In my first post I tried to make it clear only by the end that I was impressed by the movie, but not with the credits. And of course it's really the movie that matters.

Don't you rememeber "It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it?" from this movie.
The link is dead, but the URL hints at "Casablanca."
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, and the poster's name hints at a joke [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Blondie has the line in it!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
they must read hatrack.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Today's Blondie has the line in it!

Dang it! Shigosei beat me to it!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that too, and laughed and laughed.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted so badly to tell someone about it, but none of my friends post here. I was going crazy trying not to annoy my coworkers with the story.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I was filled with dread when I read today's Blondie...
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Blondie?! That's the least likely place I expected the quote to appear.

It's beginning...

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.