FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guilty reading pleasures. Come on, we won't laugh. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Guilty reading pleasures. Come on, we won't laugh.
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Nora Roberts. There, I've said it.

I also like Laurell K. Hamilton (vampires, necromancers, werewolves, sex and murder mysteries--yay!).

I also like Johanna Lindsey.

So there. I am girly. I don't care.

[Taunt]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Swedenborg.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guilty reading pleasures. Come on, we won't laugh.
Yes, you would. Really. [No No]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, it's okay. We'd never laugh that your favorite book is Chicken Soup for the Mechanic's Soul.

[ March 08, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I would. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, I am going to write "Chicken Soup for the Vegetarian Soul"
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Worse, katharina.

I, um, bought it at a grocery store. But that's all I'm saying.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The World Weekly News? [Laugh] CT
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
CT reads tabloids! *coughs* *chokes*

'Scuse me, I'll be right back.

*runs from thread, NOT laughing*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

She didn't admit it was tabloids. Maybe it was one of those books about "Your Cat and the Zodiac" or "Lose Weight with the Prophecies of Nostradamus"
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I *love* the Weekly World News! It's the 8th highest circulating paper in the world, I'll have you know!

It's easily the most creative newspaper in existance. In high school I bought it on a weekly basis, and I still buy the occasional issue, when something really funny is featured!

[Laugh] Kat!

CT--I'm dying of curiosity! What? What is it? I must know! If I laugh, I promise it won't be malicious!

Am I right in thinking that Laura Hamilton is basically SF/Fantasy erotica? I've got that impression, but I've never read any of her stuff.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The July 13, 1998 edition of this?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No. Well, okay. It's Chase the Moon by Catherine Nicolson, and it has opera, and dashing across the Champs d'Elysses in high heels and a Balenciaga, and the perfect meal of apricots, chocolate, and a baguette, and the best quote ever:

quote:
Empty pockets make for inspiration.
I love it, and the author never wrote another, at least not under that name. I collect used copies when I find them, as I think there was only the one printing.

*sigh

Okay, laugh away. I knew it was coming. [Wink]

[ March 08, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

pooka
Member # 5003

And yet there are still 73 copies availble. The plot thickens.

That first user review reminds me of that scene in "As Good as it Gets" where Melvin is accosted by his publisher's receptionist.

[ March 08, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
yaoi fan fiction
You don't want to know. So I won't tell.

I had you figured for a yaoi fan, Syn. [Big Grin] HEHEHE...

As for me, I still like Piers Anthony... And I read a LOT of pointless, silly shoujo manga. I suppose my guiltiest pleasure would have to be Shonen Jump, though I don't consider it guilty. Hehehe. I LOVE SHONEN JUMP!! Hmmm... Other than that... I used to read Animorphs, but I got tired of it. I don't consider my James Herriot books a guilty pleasure... Neither my books about Japanese culture... Or Tamora Pierce... I just like books! [Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

CT, following your link, it sure looks like the author has another more recent book -- The Golden City.

And judging by the reviews, Chase the Moon is beloved by those who have read it. I'll have to see about getting my hands on a copy.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It came along at the perfect time in my life. I was fouteen, impressionable, out to change the world, and a Romantic.

My first inlet to Pagliacci and Basque culture, it also spurred me to grit my teeth and travel 400 miles in the dead of night, back when I ran away from home to go to college. I didn't even have a driver's license -- my friend drove my brother's car down, and I read the manual by flashlight.

Wow. Memories. [Smile]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah, and shoujo manga.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

rivka, no way! You are right.

*aghast

Girl, what took you 15 frequin' years to get your writing bum in gear? Okay, that's it. I'm off to Borders.

(Wow, rivka, thanks! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

[Edit: And just BTW, I am not "A reader from Canada" in the reviews, although I, too, was fourteen when I found it. [Smile] ]

[ March 08, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, it had no reviews -- hope it lives up to her first book! (with that many years to practice, one would HOPE it would be even better [Big Grin] )

You're welcome! But I take no responsibility for quality. [Wink]

Did find these synopses:
quote:
In Mayfair in 1909, Mary Mizen, fresh from the country, is loosed on the lives of three people: wealthy, debauched Quintin Lavery, fiery young artist Leo de Morgan and ethereal aristocrat Sibell Gifford. Their destinies are bound together until conflict threatens to destroy hopes of happiness.
and
quote:
Mayfair, 1909 - Mary, fresh from the country, is loosed into the lives of three people. Wealthy, debauched, Quintin Lavery wants Mary for himself, but she cannot be owned. Aided by fiery young artist Leo de Morgan, who loves ethereal aristocrat Sibell Gifford, she escapes.

Noemon
Member # 1115

That wasn't nearly so embarassing as the things I'd dreamt up while I waited for you to post! Where's the fun in *that*, I ask you?

[Smile]

Hope you enjoy the author's latest!

So you ran away from home to go to college? I'd love to hear about that sometime when you feel like sharing.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]

rivka, my hero. I also saw an audio version marked as "WARNING: Explicit Sexual Content." [Eek!] Guess what I'll be reading on my overnight shift tonight. [Big Grin]

I don't know if she could redo the magic of that first one. It's really stood the test of time for me. Ahh, well. We'll see.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Noemon, I will write out that story sometime. It was truly High Adventure.

And yes, it is embarrassing, but in a much-loved teddy bear kinda way. Now you've seen my soft underbelly. [Smile]

[ March 08, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done Xanth, Star Trek, I'm even reading Dragonlance as we speak, mainly as an attempt to clean out my bookshelves.

I am a big Laurell K Hamilton fan (her description of St. Louis, minus most of the supernatural stuff, is dead on) and even have a signed copy of one on her books.

This brings to mind the next question--What do you do with the brain candy once you've read it. It has little reread value. Is it worth saving like OSC and Tolkien?

Everytime I trade a book at the used bookstore I feel guilty somehow.

However my guiltiest pleasure...

Old D&D books.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man... I read lots of YA and children's fiction still, though I don't feel too guilty about re-reading Tamora Pierce when I need a break - or Redwall or the Anne of Green Gables or Little House series, for that matter.

I think the fact that I enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith's "The No1 Ladies Detective Agency" series and bought all four books and read them within two days is probably a guilty reading pleasure of sorts... I travel on trains a lot, so I do pick up the odd tabloid... but these are GOOD tabloids!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've also read quite a few Star Wars and Star Trek books (until I realized that they mostly sucked). I thought Peter David was really good, and I secretly wished that he would write the script for a Star Trek movie. Timothy Zahn's first Star Wars series was good, but the second one was crap. I quite enjoyed Kevin J. Anderson's Star Wars books, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

CT ran off to college? One more reason she's my hero.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
People tease me about what I read so much that I've stopped getting embarrassed- too much work.

However I will say that I've read every Star Wars book written until about 4 years ago, when I stopped.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
My guilty reading secret from way back when are:

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series (I was a teenager is my excuse for these)

I also own up to Robert Asprins Myth and Phule Series - but not the ghost written stuff (I really have no excuse as I was in my 20's but they were great to read on the train on the way home from work - bubble gum for the mind)

I don't think the following should be classed as guilty pleasures: Harry Potter, Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, Terry Goodkind.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

CT, I saw the audio book too. But I figured you knew -- or at least suspected -- about the nature of the content, and it had no other useful info.
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure wish I'd kept all my brain candy books - I could probably have made a fortune on Amazon now.

I only keep stuff I know I'm going to want to reread.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a lot of Trek books, too. I liked them, mostly! But I haven't read any in a long time. The older ones for TNG were pretty good.

I also read a metric ton of books by Dean Koontz, most of which I'm ashamed I read, aside from Seize the Night and the other one about the same character... I liked almost all of the books, but they're so... formulaic.. But still. The only Dean Koontz book I read that I didn't like was The House of Thunder.. It was just... So... (stabs book)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Alright, alright, I read Star Trek books.

Big deal.

I wish that was the worst thing to confess.

It's not.

Sometimes, I go to the Young Adult section in Borders and buy a Buffy book. I always tell the cashier they're for my niece.

But they're not.

*shuffles away, head hung in shame*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::rubs soft underbelly affectionately::
katharina
Member # 827

Wow...
Noemon
Member # 1115

Not like that!
katharina
Member # 827

It made me blush...
Noemon
Member # 1115

No, no, you know how cats won't usually let you pet their stomachs, but occasionally, if they really like you a lot, they will? Like that!
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Angst]
rivka
Member # 4859

*contemplates possible comments about cats/kats and soft underbellies*
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
but occasionally, if they really like you a lot, they will?
That's exactly how I took it. [Wink]
sndrake
Member # 4941

*feeling better - not my underbelly being discussed.*

(relieved)

rivka
Member # 4859

It could be, if you like . . .
sndrake
Member # 4941

Nope - there's only one touchy-feely-huggy-rubby person in our household. That person ain't me. [Taunt]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
oo. I like Laurell K Hamilton
Especially the Merry Series. It's so sexy...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, to tell you the truth, the only reason I got into Harry Potter fanfiction was because of Hatrack. I blame this entirely on Olivet who once posted a link to Draco Dormiens and Irresistible Poison (Slash originally irked me but after a while it started to grow on me. I'm addicted to it now). [Smile]
Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. My name is Daniel, and I like Anne McGaffrey.

[The Wave]
(That is applause)

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I should add a pleasure - a geeky one rather than a guilty one - is my Tolkien collection. I collect different editions of LOTR. The most recent additions being in French, Italian, and Greek, as I visited the respective countries recently.

Oh, and my roommate and I dressed up for the HP5 book launch - she was a Death Eater and I was Mme Rosmerta.

[ March 08, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee. . .

I have some Star Wars Jedi Apprentice books and Star Wars diaries, though I don't read them.

Lots of young adult vampire books--vampires scare the crap outa me.

Fanfic. Shuddap.

Well, you know, everyone should regress to the young adult section once in a while. Even children's. Beautiful stories, a lot of them. I personally love the So You Want To Be A Wizard series.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I forgot about Buffy. Yes, I have several Buffy e-books. So there! I started reading Buffy fan fiction when I ran out of money for books, but most of it was gross and/or stupid, so I quit that.

I don't count McCaffrey as a guilty pleasure. Should I?

Yes, Laurell K. Hamilton writes in a sort of SF/F genre in the Merry books, but I would classify the Anita Blake books more as a supernatural vein (so to speak, harhar). Isn't she nummy? I love LKH's Merry books, too, Syn, but the Blakes are my favorites because I love Anita's mix of vulnerability and strength.

Dan: you've told me about your signed copy of LKH's book before, and I think I forgot to mention that I hate you. Bunches. (j/k [Smile] )

amira: I love love love The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency!! I don't think of it as a guilty pleasure, it does have theme and developed characters, etc. It's just too short! My dream is to one day have all four books in a combined edition. My other dream is that Alexander Mcsomething Smith never quits writing those books. [Smile]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.