FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 First Dates - Some thoughts

Author Topic: 50 First Dates - Some thoughts
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me get out of the way that I really did enjoy this movie a LOT.

But the question I have for you isn't so much about how much you enjoyed it, but more along the lines of how it made you feel.

I enjoyed this movie very much, but I was sincerely sad when I was leaving the theater. I don't know why, but it left me on the edge of tears. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same type of feelings.

I tend to be fairly empathetic, and I think what got to me the most was the fact that she (the main female character) would never remeber her childrens lives, or her experiences with them, and the experience of her marriage, and that seems like such a waste that my brain can hardly comprehend how someone could deal with that.

Just my thoughts, let me know what you thought, and also some other movies or characters got to you. For example, I got all emotionally beat up when Eponine (from Les Miserables) dies in the arms of a man she has always loved because she took a bullet that was meant for him.

So let the sad moments begin! (I need to feel like less of a wuss [Wink] )

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the opposite reaction. First of all, I was happy that no deus ex machina was used to make everybody's problems go away.

She had a problem that was never going to go away. But despite that, a way was found for her to get married, have children, and lead a full and productive life, albeit in piecemeal.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to watch Adam Sandler movies, if all possible. I think he is a nitwit, and the geniuses who write his movies are running out of ideas.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
mr_porteiro_head:
I did like the way they handled the ending, because there is no realistic way for that problem to be "solved" and I think they did a great job of wrapping it up. But I still felt sad because you know there are people with this type of condition, and one day they wake up, the look in the mirror, and they are 65, but they only remember what happened in the first 20 years or so (depending on when the damage occured), and thinking of the lost relationships, and time with kids and family just makes me sad.

gwan:
Most of Sandler's movies as of late have been fairly cheesey, but this one was worth seeing to me.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love a good bittersweet ending. It does wrench my heart, and it touches me deeply. It is the sort of thing that I find enriching.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen "50 First Dates." But on the topic of things that make you sad, I cried on the way to work the day AFTER I read OSC's "Lost Boys." There's one line toward the end that gets to me everytime I think about it.

Also, I get emotional when I think of MacDuff at the end of "MacBeth" saying "All my pretty ones? Did you say all?" Oh, I could just cry!

BTW, I'm a literature person, not a theater person, so it's OK for me to say "MacBeth." Plus I'm not superstitious. <knocks on wood>

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever seen the Black Adder III episode where he keeps saying MacBeth in front of the theater people?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.