FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mad Mad House

Author Topic: Mad Mad House
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't going to watch it--I hate reality shows--but I figured I would catch the first episode or two, to see the weird "alts"--that is, people who live "alternative lifestyles".

The first episode was good. Then, in the middle I suddenly caught that Brent, the fellow who won the first challenge and had to break a tie on who would be kicked off, was from Abilene Christian University.

ACU is one of the schools belonging to the churches of Christ; though it's recently gone through some controversy over "liberalism", I suspect that it is not so different from Harding. Given Brent's self-description, I figured he was probably one of us. So far, Brent has made basically the decisions I would have made (stay out of the religious rituals; participate in everything else), and I'm wondering just how similar my beliefs and outlook really are to his. After my dispute with Quiara and Lissande, I had begun to think I was very much in the minority.

It's interesting seeing one of us on television, if in fact he is one. The churches of Christ are small enough that I don't expect to encounter others at random.

So...has anyone else seen it, and what are your thoughts?

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught the end of it last night, 'cause I was just surfing around. I have an inherent distaste for reality tv, because it's somewhat of an oxymoron, but...this one didn't seem too bad. I don't know much about it besides the original premise, though.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
<--Grew up Church of Christ. [Big Grin]

<--Hasn't seen the show.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
The show looks really silly to me. The alts are extreme stereotypes of whatever non-normal proclivity they represent. Well, maybe with the exception of the naturist and the tattooed guy. And the people on it are a weird mix. There was one chick last night, some political campaign manager or something, who I was glad to see go. I probably won't watch it again, though.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, Argent, the guests were not told what kind of reality show they'd be on, and were also picked for being unusually conservative (most of them at least--the former stripper probably excluded). I didn't like Kelly much, but if she's been living in a convent I'm hardly surprised if she is freaked out.

The alts seem to take the attitude that it's their business to "enlighten" the guests. I wonder if they have thought about the possibility that the guests are in the know about their lifestyles and simply choose based on their own beliefs not to participate--rather than staying out because they're ignorant and think voodoo or wicca is "too freaky"?

Anyway, I doubt Brent will last too long--though now that Fiona and Ta'shia have had a day each my working hypothesis is that he'll be more willing to participate. The alts appear to have it in their heads that he is "not willing to grow", and he'd have to do something fairly shocking to get rid of that perception, I think.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.