FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NEW MEME HITS HATRACK: Sensational Thread Titles for Ordinary Topics!

Author Topic: NEW MEME HITS HATRACK: Sensational Thread Titles for Ordinary Topics!
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a project for a long time to read the scriptures of every religion on earth, starting with the major religions, and working my way through. A problem with this is there seems to be no definitive list of the religious scriptures of the world. I wonder if Hatrack can help me out with making the list more complete, or even with links? These are the ones I have so far.

Christian, LDS:
Bible (Catholics and Protestants have different versions of the Bible including a few different books, is that right?)
Book of Mormon
Doctrine and Covenants
Pearl of Great Price

Jewish:
Bible including Torah
Torah includes:
Written Torah or TaNaKh (Nevi'm plus Ketuvim such as Psalms, Song of Solomo, Megillas)
Oral Torah (Mishna and Gemara)

Islamic:
Qur'an
Hadith

Bahai:

Hindu:
Bhagavad Gita
Upanishads
Rig Veda
There seem to be lots more of these.

Buddhist:
I've read lots of Zen koans and commentary, which I guess sort of serves the same purpose. Do Buddhists have scriptures? I've read books of the sayings of Guatama.

Taoist:
Tao Te Ching

Shinto:

Jainist: ?

Sikh:
The Granth

Confucianist:
Analects of Confucious

Egyptian Book of the Dead

Modern Candidates for Canonization as Scripture:
Roger Zelazny's Lord of the Light
J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings

[ March 14, 2004, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Torah is part of the Bible... it's the first five books of the old testament. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Thank you, Raia. Can you give me a complete list of Jewish scriptures, please?
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's the Talmud.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
The Megillah is a Jewish scripture. Not sure if it's the kind of thing you're looking for though.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
:pious voice:
And then there is of course Roger Zelazny's "Lord of the Light"...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Yes, everything. I want an inclusive list. Thanks, I will include these.
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/ASYAA0WQ6RFZ/104-7006615-2420762

It's even got Zoroastrianism scripts.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Cool, Noah! Thanks! I found this one too.
aka
Member # 139

I'd never heard of some of those things in your list, Noah. Now I have to check them out! [Smile]

Corwin, if we include Zelazny, then we definitely ought to put Tolkien in too, okay?

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, THIS should definitely be included ! [Big Grin]

:going back to read it all:

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Sikhs read the Granth, also called the Guru Granth, as it is seen to take the same place of authority that the original leaders of Sikhism, called Gurus, occupied.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for. I was doing searches for the Apocrypha, and came up with a few good sites.

This:

http://wesley.nnu.edu/noncanon/index.htm

and this:

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Thanks, I'm adding these to the initial list as people mention them.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Analects of Confucius
Great Learning
Doctrine of the Mean
Mencius
Daode jing

Link

A pretty cool starting research page is University of Florida's Religious Studies archive.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Oooh, good one, dh! Your link had the Egyptian Book of the Dead which I'm adding to the list.
aka
Member # 139

I have to go work now but I will incorporate new stuff into the list tonight. I will add links, too, where I can.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you want Baha'i and Babi scriptures?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Sure, Tom! I want it to be inclusive.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the Urantia Book , but be careful; it's twisted.

There's an English translation of the book of Jasher, which I've quite enjoyed. Interesting versions of the Tower of Babel story and the Cain and Abel story.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Dianetics would be considered a religious text. By John Travolta anyway.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the closest thing to a scripture Shinto has is the Nihongi, sometimes called the Nihon Shoki.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Skilly:

From what I understand, the Book of Jasher that is extand is a pseudopigrapha, and is NOT the Book of Jasher as mentioned in the OT.

The Book of Enoch we have, while stil being considered pseudopigrapha, is the one that was referenced by Jude in the NT. Now That is a fascinating read. Killer Giant vampire-esque Angel-Human spawn running amok. Gotta love it.

[ March 13, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Jebus: The Lesser Known Son of God
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The the Church of Satan (LeVay's church):

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/satanism/churchof.html

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

Or anything else by the man.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Thats certainly scripture for George Lucas.

Even if the guy has become somewhat 'inactive' as of late...

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
For Islam you will want to find a collection of Hadith (sayings of Mohammed.) I'm also not sure if the five pillars of Islam is actually mentioned in the Koran anywhere, but they are pretty important.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify, the Jewish scriptures are composed of the Written Torah (or TaNaKh) -- the Torah (Five Books of Moses), the Nevi'im (Prophets), and the Ketuvim (Writings) which include such things as Psalms, SofS, and the five Megillot (Megillas); and the Oral Torah, which was written lest it be lost, and became the Talmud (the Mishna and the Gemara). Unless you are fluent in Hebrew and Aramaic, you will have to read translations. Good translations are not that easy to find, especially of the Gemara.

Additionally, it is worth noting that traditional Jews do not believe that study (of new material, rather than review) should take place alone (at least not primarily), but with a teacher, learning partner, or group. There is so much nuance that no written work can ever contain.

A site with many religious texts is here. If their page of Jewish stuff is any guide, they have some decent stuff, some mislabeled stuff, and some nonsense.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know how to construct a "phylogeny" of thought/tradition regarding these texts?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Ah, thank you, rivka!

What about Coptic Christians? Do they have any additional scriptures, or different versions of standard Christian scriptures?

And yes, fallow (are you flish?), that would be the next logical step. (Though strict cladism is likely not to apply.) For sure we could say this

code:

+-- Christianity
Judaism ----->|
+-- Islam

and

Hinduism -----> Buddhism

But as for the rest, I have no idea.

[ March 14, 2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: aka ]

fallow
Member # 6268

aka,

right! that's the picture that jumped into my head on reading your first post, then I wondered "where are the other connections?" They've gotta be there. No human culture sprang out of the ground independently.

buddhism had it's offshoots. shinto seems like it might be analogous to christianity meets pagan folklore in the west.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hinduism has an enormous canon of scripture, including the Vedas, Brahmanas, Aranyakas, Upanishads, Mahabarta, Ramayana (which includes the Baghavad Gita), and the Puranas. There are probably more that I don't know about. This is just from the notes for my gospel and world religions class.

I believe the primary Buddhist scripture is called the Tripitaka, though I believe there's much more on top of that.

I believe Confucius had other works besides the Analects, including the Chung Yung, Ta Hsueh, and Meng Tzu (don't ask me what those mean or what they are).

I don't know about the Jains. I missed that day, and the material wasn't on the test, so I didn't get it.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

What are the origins of Judaism in terms of historicla evidence? I have some ancient egyptian archaeology coursework under my belt, but dim recollections regarding the origin of hebrew.

jon boy, do you remember time frames for any of the texts you refer to?

fallow

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I believe the Pentateuch dates to about 1250 B.C., but other than that, I don't know.

I don't have specific dates for any books, but I do have the dates of their authors. This is straight from my textbook.

Taoism, Lao Tzu (604–?) and the Tao Te Ching

Jainism, Vardhamana Mahavira (599–527) and the Angas

Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama (563–483) and the Tripitaka

Confucianism, Confucius (551–479) and the Analects

It says that the Vedas date to around 1500 B.C. CalvinMaker mentioned the Zoroastrian scripture, called the Avesta, which dates to around 1000 B.C.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
For Catholics, there is the regualr Bible, as well as the Deuteronicals, which in a true "Catholic" Bible are integrated right in among the other books.

Along with the canon of scripture, both the teachings of the Magisterium and Tradition are authoritative. The two dogmatic statements of the popes (Papal Infallibility) are also authoritative - the immaculate conception and I can't remember the other statement.

Any Catholic who feels like correcting me please go right ahead, as I'm a bit rusty and my brian just froze up.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

You mean 'Deuterocanonicals', right? [Wink]

You may want to list the ones that are regarded as such by the RC Church, because there are additional books in Apocrypha collections that have NOT been officially canonized (1 and 2 Esdras, 3 Maccabees, etc.)

fallow
Member # 6268

cool.

I guess I would be first thinking about arrivals of new folks to the Indian subcontinent, any corresponding dates (ballpark) for texts and what happened to be going on over in the middle east.

probably not a lot of historical data. certainly none that I've been exposed to.

fallow

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this page. I thought AK might find it useful. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy,
The Bhagavad Gita isn't part of the Ramayana. It's framed as happening during the events of the Ramayana, but it's not the same thing at all. There is a big difference between the two works.

aka,
I'm not sure what you're goal is for this, but if it's to understand other people's thinking, I'd suggest not diving straight into most other cultures sacred texts without some sort of explanatory preparartion. I've found that you get a much better understanding of them that way. It's completely up to you, but I found Mircia Eliade to be a great resource in comparative religions. Also, I'd highly recommend Joseph's Cambpell's four volume series on comparative mythologies called The Masks of God (I hate that people only ever think about his Hero With a Thousand Faces book).

As for a listing, I'f like to add a few books.

In Taoism:
The Book of Chuang Tzu-a somewhat different flavor of Taoism from the TTC and just a funny book
The Book of Lieh Tzu-a manual for leadership, sort of a strange concept from the standpoint of earlier Taoist writings, but there you go
T'ai-Shang Kan-Ying P'ien-a treatsie on morals, an even stranger concept considering earlier writings

In Confucianism-
You can't study Confucius without studying the "Second Sage" Mencius. The book I have on his writings is just called Mencius. I'm not sure if there are other books.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That's just what I wrote in my notes, Squick. I probably wrote it down wrong or something.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.