FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What kind(s) of music do you like (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What kind(s) of music do you like
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok,
Any chance of you going to Harper's Ferry Saturday night for Railroad Earth? My hub and I will be there. They are awesome. Maybe we can drag the Mackstress out, too.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not, I am already tentatively double-booked, which happens once every 14 months or so in my life [Smile] , so alas, no can do.

But describe the band more, I'm interested (never heard of them).

=Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.railroadearth.com/

Bok, they are sort of a rootsy jam band, with a Celtic tone, sort of like the Waterboys. Kinda sorta. They just started a few years ago. They opened for Donna the Buffalo last year at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC, and since then, have headlined at the places where they had formally "supported." They are on the move. They also have a free cd sampler they give out. If you write to the street team on their site, they will send you one, or a bunch, to hand out.

http://www.archive.org/audio/

You can download free, OK-with-the-bands music here, if you have high speed Internet. It is a VERY cool source of music. Check it out. Also, Railroad Earth will be at the Narrows Centah for the Ahhhts in Fall Riv-vah on Sunday. That is a very cool place to see music.

[ March 17, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I listen to virtually anything, but I have a particular fondness for fifties and sixties music of all types (Cool Jazz, Doo-Wop, Rockabilly, Rock, folk and folk-rock, Mo-Town, Psychedelic, British Invasion, some of the straight pop vocals and swing stuff of the forties and fifties), some seventies, mod stuff from the eighties, some rap from back then, a tiny bit of country (johnny cash, emmylou Harris), some disco, R&B but only R&B from the sixties, seventies and very early eighties. I liked Punk, liked Technopop, Dance, Trance, House, Freestyle, essentially I liked little bits of everything.

However today I tend to loathe the majority of stuff in the top 40, rap and hip hop have really lost a lot of it's charm for me, R&B stinks for me (I loved R&B w/live instruments, I don't like it so much w/overly produced and synthesized elements).

I loved this quote I heard once, years ago, and it went like this, "There is no such thing as a bad genre of music, there is simply music that is well done and well executed, and badly done music that is poorly executed." I tend to think like that, and that informs my tastes as I like nearly little bits of everything, though I appear to be getting a bit old fogey-ish, at least in reference to a lot of modern rap and hip hop and R&B, and the teen pop cr@p.

Lately I've been listening to Bob Marley, The Orange Peels, Creem, Matt Ward, New Order, Al Green, White Stripes, and Do Wop material on the way to and from work. I'm also interested in getting the Shins latest material.

[ March 21, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for AudioSlave vocals...awesome.
Now let's talk about the fact that Audioslave has effective neutered a band that used to tear the house down.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

- posted      Profile for Tiger Eye           Edit/Delete Post 
i love old school punk, a lot of the really hardcore stuff.

i like metal a lot, rammstein, tool.

gothic punk: afi...etc. manson...

but then again i also like some of the old stuff. the doors, fleetwood mac.

bob marley....tons of stuff.

classic rock, ac dc, led zeppelin, guns n roses.

i love acoustic and indie, ani difranco(rocks my world) dar williams, jann arden, indigo girls.

flogging molly, the strokes, ive been getting into flaming lips.

pretty much, if its old, underground, or you havnt heard of it; i like it. [Razz]

or if your parents listened to it (providing you're under like....25) i like it.

i dont really like pop. esp. mainstream pop. however, third eye blind and barenaked ladies i love. i have my guilty pleasures.

i think i would like rap or hip hop if they had something interesting to say. its all the same, so im bored with it. that and i have an issue with degrading people, so since rap has a history of doing such, ive never liked it much.

[ March 21, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Tiger Eye ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised by my grandparents, so my first love was country music. I adore it in all forms (mostly). My favorite "new" ones are really from the early 90s, when I was a toddler, and the deep-throaty sound that women had. :-)

Then, of course, I rave over 1985 and below country music -- give me Alabama, Oak Ridge Boys ... anything. I adore adore adore Willie Nelson and John Denver ... Shelly West ... :-)

I am huge into bluegrass at the moment, and especially enjoy the older style of it. "New Traditional bluegrass" (which seems an oxymoron to me!) is not quite as good, in my opinion.

I like pop music from 1940s (very rare to find something on those! I've heard, maybe, three songs) to the 1970s.

I like 1980s rock. Billy Idol is my luff. Things like that.

I enjoy Eminem (and some others). Probably because I find his stuff hilarious. I'm strange like that.

I guess that I can say that I like everything except pop music. Can't stand how tinny it sounds. :-X

--Karen

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
>> Now let's talk about the fact that Audioslave has effective neutered a band that used to tear the house down. <<

Eh, it was time for Tom and Zack to go their separate ways. And it was definitely time for Chris Cornell to start rocking again.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Cornell a top ten rock vocalist? Please. I can think of at least a dozen right off the top of my head, starting with Bono, Michael Stipe, Sting, Billy Corgan, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Dickenson, Dave Draiman, Axel Rose, Paul Simon, Pink Floyds singer (name?) Ed Kowalchek (live singer, however you spell his name), Sammy Hagar,Eddie Veder, Billy Joel, Robert Plant, Jagger, Ronnie James Dio, Don Henley, David Bowie, woman from jefferson airplane (name?) Paul McCartney, Peter Gabriel, Geoff Tate, James Maynard Keenan, I could probably come up with another 20 if I were bored.

Anyrate, I listen to anything rock and roll, I like blues, some jazz, classical music, and some random other stuff.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
On that list, the only one I see who is possessed of bigger lungs than Chris Cornell is Maynard.

Dunno that I'd put Cornell in the top ten rock vocalists of all time, but I certainly enjoy his wailing very much. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Two lead singers for Pink Floyd:
Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Roger is the more known one.

Geez, Paul, were you, like, born in the eighties or something? At least us old 'uns are good for something.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, some of those are new singers [Smile]
I was actually born in '79. Hence, the preponderance of people who made music in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

I'm probably thinking of Roger Waters.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It's OK, Paul.

I know it is hard to be young.

And speaking of young, I just saw Neil Young. And all his fans have gotten old. It was so quiet in the Mullins Center you could hear hecklers heckling each other across the stadium. I liked the Greendale show, though, and it is a more quiet thing.

kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Symphonic Pink Floyd"

KingLear,
My husband is raving about Australian Pink Floyd. Is this the same thing?

Elizabeth - The music is the same, but its (I think) the London Philharmonic Orchestra doing the tunes as adapted for a full orchestra, without vocals on all but one or two songs.

EDIT: Adding--

quote:
Two lead singers for Pink Floyd...
You may be able to name those two, but can you name all five members of Floyd?

-jon-

[ March 22, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: kinglear ]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Hmmm, some oldsters I liked, Dion, Buddy Holly, the obligatory Elvis, Carl Perkins, Little Richard (listen to his original stuff, and it blows your mind, Lucille, Long Tall Sally, Tutti Fruiti, good freaking lord was he good), Lennon, McCartney, Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mary Wells, Diana Ross, Barbara Lewis, Jim Morrison, the dual vocalists from The Zombies, damn, there are so many bloody good ones, CCR's singer (forgot his name),J.B. Lenoir (who I'd never heard of until the PBS blues documentary last summer) leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Chet Baker, Bernard Sumner, Ian Curtis, Bjork, Johnny Rotten (not a technically skilled vocalist but an immensely powerful one), Joey Ramone, it goes on and on and on. The one thing I really feel bad about is wondering how many absolutely amazing vocalists were missed out on because the ability to record these performances has only been around for about a century.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all sorts of music, but I'll mention one artist I've been listening to in particular as of late. That artist being Beck. I always thought he had some cool stuff, but was never a huge fan or anything. His newest album, which I believe was released in 2002, is called Sea Change, and it's fantastic. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Speaking of Beck, he has a great song which was played during the end credits of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's called Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime, and it's pretty awesome. If you've seen Eternal Sunshine, and you liked that song, you would probably like Sea Change.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
graywolfe, are you talking about John Fogherty? He was the lead singer of Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Yeah, forgot the guys name. Ditto Beck (in reference to two posts back), loved Odelay, Mellow Gold had two classic tunes and a bunch of filler (to me anyway), but the Night Vultures CD (I think that was the name) in '99 just didn't do it for me. So I've ignored him for a while. Probably should be paying attention.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it was definitely time for Chris Cornell to start rocking again.
You're right, it is.

*wonders when he'll start*

Seriously, I think Audioslave is pretty decent, but everytime I hear what's left of Rage playing stuff that sounds so tame, I shed a tear. (NOT of happiness.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

King Lear,
I do not remember the names of the other Pink Floyd members. We saw them(with David Gilmour, when they split up) at Foxboro, MA about seventeen(!!) years ago. It was a wild scene. i am pretty concert-hardy, but seeing a guy punch his girlfriend in the face was too much.

Railroad Earth is amazing if anyone ever gets a chance to see them. Sort of bluegrass opera. I can't think of a better way to describe them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.