FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love skeptics

Author Topic: I love skeptics
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else go here religiously?

I figured this site was required reading, but just recently Sci Fi Weekly did a link to this site, and it reminded me that some people might not know about it. Isaac Asimov and Carl Sagan are just two of the high profile thinkers that helped found the organization.

It's really cool.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the article about how once one starts being skeptical of accepted scientific ideas, one is "too skeptical".
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Slash.

In a similar vein, Quackwatch is a great resource for medical skepticism.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like the article about how once one starts being skeptical of accepted scientific ideas, one is "too skeptical".
Heh.... sounds like scientists posing as skeptics to me. [Wink]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I was clueless as to their existence...

*adds to favorites*

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I am skeptical of Slash's dislike for children.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, we've been round and round on this one.

I don't dislike kids. In fact, there are several that I like very much. I like kids in the same way I like adults; if they are likable. Kids are just small people, no more nor less likable that big people, usually.

I just don't want any living in my house, in much the same way that I don't want a third adult living in my house. Also, I don't want to have to train one to be a good person, as I still have not trained myself to do this, and so distrust my skills in this area.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
See email I just sent.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Where did you send it?
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

s_the_b@hotmail.com
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

Basically it said I was just smart assing around, being a troll, pushing buttons, because in short I know and respect your position.

I'm not questioning it at all, I honestly think you and my kids would get along swimmingly.

And that I'm sorry for acting like a dick.

[Smile]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Did I give that impression?!

I hope not! I just feel this need to reclarify my position from time to time. I don't want any newbies to think that I actually hate little kids. Even if I do.

Sorry if I clarified at your expense. It was not intended that way.

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

Kid-hater.
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
all i want to know is whether the "go here religiously" was intended as a pun.
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

It wasn't but I guess there is a sort of irony in the statement.

And I use irony in the modern, incredibly loose definition of the word.

And I don't hate kids. I love them. Especially in a light creme sauce.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days... Pat and Slash will come out of the closet and proclaim undying love to each other. And they will get married. And I will be invited to their wedding.

[Cry]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Pat is way back on that list, Kama. If I ever go gay, Karl has already claimed the first spot in line. And I do like redheads...
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

[Cry]
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn that Karl... foiled again!
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd gets all the cute guys. [Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
And I was so excited at the thought of being Pat's best man . . .
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I don't hate kids. I love them. Especially in a light creme sauce.
I'm reminded of the intro to a story by Robert Bloch (author of Psycho) in Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions.

Ellison wrote something like the following:

"Bloch says he has the heart of a child...

pickled in a jar on his desk!"

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
And I was looking forward to protesting your wedding. . .

IS THERE NO JUSTICE???!!!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*bumped for no reason whatsoever*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
you love skeptics ...

with what? Ketchup? Chocolate syrup? A little salt and pepper, or fried in batter?

Do they taste anything like babies?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
man...there's some old names on this thread.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I jumped when I saw slash's name, seeing that he seems to have given up on fora altogether.

Then I saw the date. [Frown]

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes no reason is a good reason. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Love skeptics, huh? Suuuuure. [Wink]
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.