FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you think about this poem?

Author Topic: What do you think about this poem?
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I’m still rather new to hatrack, but I’ve already learned to trust the judgment of the people who post on here. I've been compiling a bunch of poems that I’ve written over the last 9 months or so, and people keep telling me that the poems are really good, I think they stink. I'm posting "Our Future" as a sample poem. Give me your honest and brutal opinion of it. In short, tear it to shreds before I get cocky and try to publish any of my poems. Thanks.

"Our future"

I long for nothing more than you,
I wish for no future but our future,
With our house in the mountains,
Just above our meadow,
Where we fish in the head waters,
Of our river, the Rio Grande,
Our meadow is surrounded by trees,
These trees are evergreens, aspens and the like,
Our children will play in them,
As we sit on the porch watching,
Growing ever older, and more ornery,
Never leaving our utopia,
Until one of us dies,
And the kids drag the other away.

Well, there is one of my poems, does any one else on here write, if you do post your poem and see what people think of it.

Edit:I cant spell

[ March 15, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Might check this thread to see the work of some other Hatrackers.

As I've said elsewhere, I can't tell a good poem from a bad one. I'm working on that, though.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rio Grande"

sorry to be a nitpick [Smile]

ok, so I'm not really *sorry* but you know what I mean [Wink]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
JT, opinions are going to differ. Tastes differ. Your poem happens to remind me of Smoove B from The Onion. However,

quote:
In short, tear it to shreds before I get cocky and try to publish any of my poems.
doesn't make sense. Regardless of what feedback you get here, why not try to get it published? As long as you aren't using a vanity press, you have nothing to lose. And maybe some people to prove right, or wrong. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It should be a song with just one guitar and slight percussion.
I write poems sporatically

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, kid!

Think about it a bit longer. The point of the poem is still a bit confused. It's wordy and kind of watery, without personality.

For instance:
"These trees are evergreens, aspens and the like,"

Your "and the like" might work if you established the speaker's personality better. Right now, it's like an "etc." Kind of a cop out.

I don't think you had a really strong idea in your head when you started writing. Keep refining it until it says everything you want it to say.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the input so far.

[Laugh] thnikaman

Hey thnik, did you mean to misspell your name? [ROFL]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, shut up, kid! [Razz]
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What every one else said, and...

quote:
I wish for no future but our future,

Perhaps: "I wish for no future but ours."

The broken line, "of our river, the Rio Grande" loses the rythym. Consider putting more sentences in there, right now it is just a list of things.

You mention evergreens. Perhaps the image of evergreens can be applied to the entire poem?

"And the Kids drag the other away" is a good line, but somehow it doesn't fit with the rest of the poem, especially after using "children" earlier on.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.