FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A game to melt your brain

Author Topic: A game to melt your brain
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
GROW

Fear the insanity that is GROW.

Like a fungus, it is.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! I got all but two of the things maxed out at the end!
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
That's scarily addictive.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten 13500 for a high score, maxed out just about everything but one thing.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
That has got to be one of the oddest games I have ever seen in my life.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever seen that episode of ST:TNG " The Game". I am addicted.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
What order did you guys put the stuff on in order to max it out?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the exact order I put them in to get all but two but I think you have to make sure that the mountain gets the cloud things from the pipe before the fan is fully developed or else the cloud things will fly away. If the cloud things fly away then the mountain turns into a volcano and the pipe and the mountain won't get maxed out.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
*tries helplessly to figure the game out*
*wonders why he gets booed more as his score increases*

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't make the pipe and mountain max out, but I have everything else. *muttering*
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... I can die happy. 20000 was my high score, but I only got a 4000 point bonus for maxing the fan but I know you can get at least 7000 from a previous game. Even when I finished I could see my order could be further optimized. I'm betting you can get more than 20,000 points.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!
Bob, you beat me, but not by long. I've achieved the same score as you.

I'm not at all sure how the bonus is determined; it might be that the worse off you are the more bonus you get, in which case you might not be able to beat 20000.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*curses Bok*

...can't...stop...

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's what I've observed so far:

1) When the ladder is built and the robot is built, a blue robot climbs down the ladder and, the following turn, merges with the gray robot -- maxing out both categories.

2) When the blue hills are at their second size category, bubbles will rise from the pipe to form clouds (and rain, on the following turn.) When the sun antenna maxes out, the hills turn green. After two turns of rain, a lake forms; if the hills are green, a forest grows around the lake on the following turn.

3) The rotating dish will not max out until the bottom gear throws you into space.

4) When the fan is fully advanced, it will "catch" the fully advanced form of the tornado -- powering the TV.

5) When in space, the rotating dish will provide a signal to the TV, provided the TV has power.

6) The rotating gears, once power is supplied, will change the "sun" antenna to reflect the time.

7) The lumpy egg creature is a strange nocturnal bat thing, as you discover when the sun antenna switches to "night." You do not get the points for having fully evolved the creature if it hasn't transformed at least once before the end.

What I can't figure out:

1) How to advance the pipe past level 4.

[ March 16, 2004, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to complete the game with everything maxed out. How I did it is as much a mystery to me as anyone, it only took about a dozen tries and one bit of advice from my wife: the TV screen is the last piece.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Tom, your pipe/mountain thing is missing one upgrade, after the forest grows. It happened on the last turn for me so I don't know what causes it, can you just put it down one turn earlier?
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, give me a break, I had things to do today.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it and I have the order, I'll post it below after some spoiler warning spaces.

***Spoilers***
SUN ANTENNA
ROBOT
EGG
LADDER
MOUNTAIN
PIPE
WHIRLIGIG
GEAR
CYCLONE
SATELLITE
ROCKET
TV

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
What a relief. I finished it.
SPOILERS!!!!
Here's a screenshot of everything maxed out.

Now I wish I'd written down the order I used. IIRC, early things were the egg, the robot, the ladder, the sun, the mountain, and the pipe. The last 3 things were the dish, the rocket, and the tv.

edit: Right on, Belle!

[ March 16, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: The Thnikkaman ]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Belle! [Hat]

Now I can get some things done today. [Big Grin]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
MAN!!!!

that game sucks you in like nothing ive ever seen. Except maybe castle. Now there was a good one. the sounds were awesome on castle.

My roommates saw me playing grow, and saw how roped in i was and refused to watch me play it. for fear they too would be caught in the grip.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
castle? as in gamesdomaincastle? or as in the game where you throw the people up into the air and watch them crash into the earth?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
yes! I finally found this thread.

took me long enough [Razz]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't one single order that does it. I used a slightly different order from belle, but still got everything maxed out. Egg, robot, and ladder all have to be early. And sun thingy needs to be first. I don't think it matters too much whether you put the egg before the ladder or vica versa. I put the mountain before the pipe, and then the whily thingy, then the tornado, gears, antenna, rocket, tv... I think that was it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is addictive.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.