FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deep Space Nine on the Home Stretch... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Deep Space Nine on the Home Stretch...
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
ARrrggg...my dorm has cable hookup but I don't have a TV. My house has a TV but no cable. The only TNG I get to watch is when the guys next door are watching it. I haven't seen DS9 since the finale was aired. Must...have...Star...Trek!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Spike TV's Deep Space Nine Page

Marathons all week!!!!! [Smile] [Smile]

*makes note to purchase more 8-hour tapes*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am excited to give DS9 a chance. I haven't liked what I've seen, but I've never had a chance to give it a chance, if that makes any sense.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*Promises to calm down a bit after today*

Wow, first Monday in a long time I jumped out of bed! I'll set up the tape now that I've had my coffee.

I can come home to the wonderful and dark world of Deep Space Nine. So like my own world on so many levels. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing what DS9 did to Worf, I could never watch it again. I saw him spouting of love poetry and cringed. The best thing star trek ever produced, imo, is Q.

For that reason alone...well, and the studlyness of Picard, Next Generation will always rank on top for me. I must admit tho, the concept of DS9 was really cool.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Worf did deliver the funniest line in ST history on DS9:

"It's something we don't discuss with outsiders"

Worf, explaining why the Original Series Klingons look nothing like him in Trials and Tribblilations.

[Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
?

Worf has always had a soft side. That's nothing new.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

In my own opinion, it's also the most ethically and morally complex of the shows. On TNG, Picard was usually able to frame things pretty clearly in terms of "right" and "wrong."

In Deep Space Nine, the choices - especially in the later seasons - boil down to choosing among the least wrong or harmful ones.

vwiggin
Member # 926

Yup yup.

My favorite episode is the one where Captain Sisko had to decide whether or not to lie to the Rumulans in order to get their support.

The whole issue regarding terrorism is very interesting as well. Marquis terrorist = bad? But what about Bajoran "freedom fighters" or the Cadassian "uprising"? How do you draw the line?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"The best thing star trek ever produced, imo, is Q."

You are dead to me, Alexa.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Tom, I believe the word you are looking for is "Discommendation."

*turns back to Alexa*

fugu13
Member # 2859

I believe that one was called "Inter Enim Silen Legas" , which I probably mussed up the spelling horrendously in.

[ April 05, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Today got even better.

A latino coworker came in with a huge pile of homemade tamales and hot sauce!

Another coworker asked me if they were "breakfast tamales."

I answered they were "breakfast tamales" (was eating at the time) in the same sense that the cold pizza he sometimes eats for breakfast on the weekend is "breakfast pizza." [Big Grin]

Is this really Monday?

Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Tom, can you think of a better line then when Q asked Worf, "Eat any good books lately?" in ST?

I still laugh when I replay that line in my head.
[ROFL]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*jumps up and down*

This is so much fun!

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the episode where they get stuck in that weird alien game with the girl who does hopscotch?!

Seriously. Someone needs to im/call me when that one comes on. I absolutely cannot miss it.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*chuckle*

The Chula episode won't be on for a while.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm watching the pilot. Again. I see now why I never got into this show the first time.

I'm sure it'll get better. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*loves Dukat. He's so smarmy!*

Move along home! That's what it was....

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

smarmy == lovable ????
[Dont Know]

fugu13
Member # 2859

[Razz] . Its a good pilot, they just have to set up a lot of details.

Pay particular attention to the characterizations.

pH
Member # 1350

Yes. I love smarmy characters.

He just needs a hug. [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Ohh! Pay attention to the 12-year-old CGI special effects for Otto!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite Worf moments:

"It is not time yet!" to O'Brien's wife when she is giving birth and the contraction is 1 minute ahead of schedule.

Taking the lute from Geordi and smashing it in the Q Robin Hood episode. The facial expressions on both were priceless.

Funny, none of my favorite moments with Worf were on DS9. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Man, Odo is so cool.

And Weyoun doesn't show up for a long time yet! That's gonna make it even _better_. So much smarminess.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

How long will this DS9 marathon continue?
pH
Member # 1350

forEVER!
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
And I am missing it! Damn school! I don't need education when can be watching DS9!
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Dukat and Weyoun are two of the most complex villains on TV.

Garak is one of the best and most complex characters, period.

Sisko and so many others are just plain excellent.

pH
Member # 1350

Dukat and Weyoun are my favorites. They need hugs.

When does Kai Winn come in? She's so fun because I hate her!

fugu13
Member # 2859

The 9 hours a day of episodes goes on for the first week (MoTuWeThFr).

That takes it through the first two seasons and part of the third, I believe.

Then it continues every weekday at 7 pm with one episode, I believe, though you'd want to check on that.

SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
This could be because I am dyslexic, but who is Weyoun?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Weyoun is the genetically engineered Dominion lackey guy.
fugu13
Member # 2859

She appears a long time before she becomes Kai, but I'm not sure when. Not too long into the series, maybe second or third season, I'd guess, though I could be very wrong.
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

Oh, okay. I never paid enough attention to what his name was. I just figured that I would pick it up sooner or later somewhere else. And here I am.
sndrake
Member # 4941

I think you'll see Kai Winn today. One of the first episodes dealt with Kiko wanting to open a school. It's Winn who leads the opposition to the school, as I recall. Bajoran politics gets dirty very early.
pH
Member # 1350

Those silly Bajorans....
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
DS9 was absolutely the best of the Trek series, in characterization, story, and complexity. I'm so glad it's finally been syndicated on cable, thank God for SpikeTV.

Oh, and about this:

quote:
Then two things happened. One, I watched the entirety of Babylon 5 on TNT reruns. Two, I read How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by OSC.

Both of those threw TNG's flaws into high relief. I couldn't watch it anymore without cringing.

BAH! OSC was talking about the original Star Trek (somehow I doubt he ever watched much of the spinoffs, based on his dislike of the original series), and most of the flaws he pointed out were corrected in the later shows. TNG, I agree, was uneven a lot of the time--mostly in the first two seasons, and the odd crappy episode later on--but it was mostly an excellent show. And the captain didn't go down on every away mission (or almost any away mission, for that matter). It is, in fact, remarkable how well they handled keeping him in the action without resorting to unbelievable, ridiculous stuff like with Kirk in the original series.

Anyway, rant mode off. DS9 has actual story arcs, and I find the characters to be even more appealing than the ones in TNG. The chemistry between each and every member of the cast is just... incredible. Like any show, it had its ups and downs, but I think it had more of the former than the latter.

Shame Voyager and Enterprise didn't live up to the high standards set by DS9. Voyager was crap on a stick, and Enterprise was Voyager with worse technology, until this season (which has seen a marked improvement in the show).

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I know that OSC was talking about TOS, but in reading it, most of it applied just as well to TNG.

No, the *captain* didn't go down on the planet most times -- it was always the 2nd in command with serveral other members of the bridge crew. Out of the top 8 officers, it was not unusual to have 4 of them off on an alien planet risking their lives.

[ April 05, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the DS9 episode when Sisko Punched Q. the look on Q's face was priceless. I wonder what would happen if Picard did that the first time Q shoed up.

[Confused] <~~~ Q

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Another thing that really bothered me about TNG was that humans did not act human. Normal human tendencies like violence, greed, jealousy, were mostly delegated to other races -- klingons, ferengi, etc.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

One thing that I have heard is that DS9 isn't like that so much. That's one of the reasons that I am so interested in watching it.
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been renting each DS9 disc through NetFlix for a couple of months now, and we're up to season 4. It's such a nerdy indulgence for us. [Big Grin] I love how minor secondary and tertiary characters resurface episodes apart, and how rarely they just throw away plot devices. They even incorporate stuff that some of the other series dropped, like the Riker clone, and some transporter accident from TOS has been heavily used in two episodes now. [Smile]

<---- nerd.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

OK, I've got to say that I like Garek.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Garak is the most complex character. He rules.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't know anything that happens with him. I just know that I like the little that I've seen. He's one of the few characters that I would like to meet.
fugu13
Member # 2859

You'll like him throughout.

A number of the characters become more approachable througout the series. Bashir and Kira in particular stop being caricatures.

sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, I like Garak, too. But I would be real particular about the context in which I met him. [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, you know him better than I do.

Kira becomes tolerable? I'll believe that when I see it. [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Kira and Bashir both become much more than tolerable over time. Rom was another one, but he was also pretty peripheral at first. Of all the characters, they probably suffered the worst from "false starts."

Still, all in all, there was better character development in the first episode of DS9 than in the first episode of TNG. It really took a full two seasons for TNG to find its way.

I had a chance last year to review the first couple of seasons of DS9 and was amazed at how quickly they moved the characters and plot along.

I was also amazed at how much they forgot about character development when Voyager was launched. (Touchy subject in our house.)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.