FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deep Space Nine on the Home Stretch... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Deep Space Nine on the Home Stretch...
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
She becomes very tolerable [Razz] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In an age of replicators, why does everybody want gold-pressed latinum?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
You answered your question. It is because that is the one thing that cannot be replicated. [Smile]

My favorite Garak quote:

Bashir: All those stories you told me, which one of them is true?

Garak: They are all true.

Bashir: Even the lies?

Garak: Especially the lies.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
But what is it used for? Does it have any value except for its scarcity?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky there are no Ferengis here - they'd just laugh scornfully at your question. [Smile]

Yeah - the scarcity is what makes it precious. Same thing as gold, which is a pretty metal, but maybe no prettier than some cheaper metals.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Nor particularly. Of course, gold had little "practical" use for most of history except for being used as money.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think it's funny that in TNG they make such a big deal about how they no longer have money in their society, and then in DS9 they have currency just like we do.
sndrake
Member # 4941

I think there's a distinction, though. The claims about abolition of a monetary system are specific to the federation (doesn't explain how or why Sisko's father operates a restaurant on earth).

On DS9, there are plenty of non-Federation cultures to deal with - Bajorans, Ferengi and Klingons, for example. And they all seem to have some sort of capitalist thing going for them.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The Federation is what is said to not have money.

Though we hear of "credit" and such at times, its never solidly established that the Federation does use money, at least that I recall.

vwiggin
Member # 926

I think Federation citizens use "credits" to measure the amount of replicator/transporter energy they use. Generally most people will have more than enough. I think if you need extra energy use, you have to request for more.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Ooh, time for the tower of babel episode [Wink] .
vwiggin
Member # 926

In TNG, that's EVERY time when Jordi and/or Data has to explain some static warp shell crap.

Me tune out when they talkie techie.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I hear you about the techno-babble.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Gold Pressed Latinum was used in Self Actuating Stem Bolts.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[ROFL]
vwiggin
Member # 926

"Self Actuating" stem bolts? Maybe Data will try to communicate with it and protect it as a new, distantly-related sentient race.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the deflector dish on the Enterprise is the modern-day equivalent of deus ex machina. Is there anything it can't do? Besides the laundry.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
After the great Futurama parody of Star Trek, I couldn't believe it when I actually heard Dax use the "too much air in a balloon!" metaphor last week. [Big Grin]

"Like a balloon, when something bad happens!"

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

[Smile]

It can't improve Marina Sirtis's acting, for one.

sndrake
Member # 4941

That's another thing about DS9 - as dark as the overall story arc would get, there was still a place for humor and play. At least humor that was more noticeable to me than on TNG.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Was Dax bisexual?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Dax, the worm has no gender, I don't think. They adopt the gender of their hosts, but then they also remember the love interests of their previous hosts.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers*

I think the first female-female kiss I ever saw on TV was when Dax's host made out with the host of a symbiont that Dax had been married to in a previous life. Of course, I was so into the plot of the show that I didn't realize until much later (possibly someone had to point it out to me) that it was a homosexual kiss. Anyhow, my point is that yes, the symbionts don't really have gender and despite that kiss Jadzia is straight. By the way, the host before Jadzia was Curzon, whom Sisko knew. This is why Sisko calls Dax "Old Man."
*End Spoilers

[ April 05, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[Group Hug]

You beautiful, magnificient DS9 nerds. I *heart* you!

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

It was at least one of the first, and possibly the first, homosexual kiss on primetime television in a show that didn't focus on homosexuality.
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Dax, the worm has no gender
True, but it certainly looks like Dax got plenty of sex through its hosts. [Wink]
vwiggin
Member # 926

[Smile]

Dax's most famous partner:

"Wooo, I remember him. I thought he had the hands of a surgeon."

Dax is so hot, she could kiss a clydesdale and I wouldn't notice the difference.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Edit: This is a spoiler

Doesn't Jadsia get replaced with a shorter, more annoying host for Dax? About when does this happen?

[ April 06, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

vwiggin
Member # 926

*big spoilers*

I think at the end of season 6? Ferrel wanted to leave the show so they had her replaced in a rather unflattering way.

The new Dax isn't bad. They just didn't have enough time left to develop her character. Not her fault.

I think they should've put Dax into Jake. Jake wasn't doing much at the last couple of seasons. This will give a whole new meaning to the term, "old man."

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I am *soooo* not used to alerting for spoilers. I figure that if you don't want spoilers concerning ds9, you should be reading about it in the first place.
vwiggin
Member # 926

eh... Yours wasn't really a spoiler. You were asking a question, and wasn't really making a direct, positive statement.
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Smile] [Smile]

Got to see a couple of the shows. I remember what caught me right away about the show, in spite of some of the flaws in some of the characters.

I thought a Starfleet officer who used overt blackmail in the very first show to get a Ferengi to serve the greater good was someone I wanted to watch more. [Evil]

I also think that the relationship between Ben Sisko and his son was a real departure for the Star Trek universe - the open expressions of affection were refreshing.

Lots of other stuff too - but it's early and I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet.

Edited: too early to type without significant errors as well.

[ April 06, 2004, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about that. A lot of people blackmail Quark. :-D I'm sure Odo does it hundreds of times. Ahh. Gotta love Odo. Rene Auberjonois is also a fairly frequent reader on NPR's Selected Shorts. Plus, Avery Brooks who plays Sisko was in American History X.

I thought I was completely over Star Trek, since I haven't seen so much as an episode in about four years (except the terrible Voyager Finale, which I watched for old times' sake) but when I heard this was coming on, I have to admit I was entirely too excited for my own good. Now I've spent the last two days geeking out.

DAMY YOU SPIKEtv!!!

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the deflector dish on the Enterprise is the modern-day equivalent of deus ex machina. Is there anything it can't do? Besides the laundry.
Too true :-D Technically, it's supposed to 'deflect' space debris, micrometeorites, and generally keep the ship from being torn to pieces the first time they go to quarter impulse, but in practice they seem to use it for every problem that doesn't have another solution...
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Indeed.

I believe the technology has supplanted the use of metal and electric razors.

I think the technique was discovered by an engineer who was late for a formal event and needed an emergency shave.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I've looked, but I cannot find any site with intact DS9 episode synopsis. I want to know what I missed yesterday afternoon. What was the deal with O'Brian talking weird? I must know!!
sndrake
Member # 4941

It was code.

A Cardassian spy broke the pig-latin code, so they resorted to drastic measures.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmm... Obsidian Order...

Long live the Cardassian Union! I think the Cardassian ships are cool as heck. Neat culture too... in a creapy sort of totalitarian way...

[ April 06, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

In retrospect, the Obsidian Order had it right when it came to the Founders.

Even a sinisterly broken clock is right twice a day. (But if anyone tells you which two times, they'll have to kill you.)

fugu13
Member # 2859

*snort*
----spoilers----

MPH -- it was an episode with a virus that caused aphasia.

sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Don't worry about that. A lot of people blackmail Quark. :-D I'm sure Odo does it hundreds of times.
Oh, yeah - at least one person bribes, blackmails or threatens Quark every other episode or so.

But the first one to do it was the Starfleet Commander! I was impressed. It took a year or two before TNG had Riker do that to someone and Sisko was much better at it the very first time.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((sndrake))) I used to be a major DS9 fan. But I don't have cable. [Cry]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

pooka,

I think it's you and not me who needs the hugs.

I do have cable and about 15 episodes of DS9 in order on tape by now.

I am sorry you don't have the same opportunity.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the hug was because your thread was the victim of random acts of dobieness and senseless fluff.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Quark deserves it though. My favorite Quark moment was when he hacked into the DS9 computer and started broadcasting commercials on the offical frequency. [Big Grin]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I remember that one! "Come to Quark's! Don't walk, run!" And Worf's prune juice came out in a Quark's mug...

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Oh, the hug was because your thread was the victim of random acts of dobieness and senseless fluff.
Stuff and nonsense. You needn't count me in with people who were put out by the dobieness - I kinda hoped my one post on the topic was clear on that.

As I am about to demonstrate, I am perfectly capablle of brazenly and selfishly bumping a thread of mine I think is getting neglected. [Wink]

Speaking of which - 18 episodes on tape now!!

Woohooo!!!

*should label the latest tape before I go to bed*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The current episode reminds me of one of my big beefs with Star Trek -- how it deals with religion. It seems that in the star trek univers, all religious people are either power-hungry monsters, close-minded zealots, or blind sheep. [Wall Bash]
sndrake
Member # 4941

Stick around, the series offers other options as well. One of the most thoughtful Bajoran characters in the series is yet to come - and he's a Kai. Not to forget the original Kai who identified Sisko as the Emissary - she wasn't any of the above, either.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Uh, you might want to review the first few episodes.

----minor early spoilers----

wisest and most important person on bajor: the religious leader.

the emissary of the Gods: Sisko (though he's skeptical).

And then later:
----major spoilers for late seasons----

Sisko is convinced about religion and becomes a "saint" of sorts in the very end. We see evil personified, and Sisko defeats it in an act of selflessness.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.