FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A thread for Slash, Rat named Dog, and other forum grinches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A thread for Slash, Rat named Dog, and other forum grinches
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
[Edited to add]: If your feelings are easily hurt, you might want to avoid this thread.

If you think Graemlin threads are lame, if you refuse to post in a thread that says 'everyone has to post here', if you thought the bump thread was a waste of pixels on your monitor, this is the thread for you.

Feel free to sit in here and scowl at people who like such fluff.

While you are here, debate the following grinchy topic:

Why, no matter how lame the person is, and how uninteresting their hatrack career has been, will anyone who posts a stupid 'I am leaving' thread get dozens of hatrackers to say 'please don't go!'

Why can't we ever just let people leave? Some people are not all that cool. On a related note, whiney self indulgent 'you guys are all like this, but I'm different' threads will also garner undeserved sympathy.

Is hatrack too sympathetic for its own good?

Discuss.

[ March 17, 2004, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, a thread for ME!

I think I can count myself lucky that I have never been so incredibly, miserably sad that I could benefit from starting a thread with a single [Frown] as the first post, and waiting for people to <<<<<<Dog>>>>>> me.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I too wonder at the therapeutic benefits of having my screen nick wrapped in ((((())))).
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why, no matter how lame the person is, and how uninteresting their hatrack career has been, will anyone who posts a stupid 'I am leaving' thread get dozens of hatrackers to say 'please don't go!'

Thanks, Slash. I'll remember never to do this.

*continues with uninteresting Hatrack career*

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

If you never make an 'I am leaving' thread, you are miles ahead of the game, Fiazko. You get style points just for that.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, is it parentheses? I never bothered to find out. I don't think I have ever parenthesized anyone in my entire tenure here.

But back to one of the earlier subjects. Letting people leave Hatrack. Don't you think it might actually be good for us, in a natural selection sort of way, to simply let those of us who are too whiny and self-centered to survive in the wild simply die off when their time comes?

Of course, I'm one of the sympathetic culprits myself, now and then. As much as I wanted to dropkick [name removed] when they freaked during the gay marriage debate, I felt kind of responsible for pissing them off that much, and thought they at least deserved to make such a weighty decision in an unbiased, no-longer-holding-a-grudge-against-Geoff manner.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't post a goodbye thread when I left. For that, thou shalt {{hug}} me!

(I posted one at Ars, but it was intentionally obscure.)

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

I was about to defend the "I am leaving" posts, but now that I think about it, you guys have a point. The departure posts that get the "Don't go" replies seem to come from people leaving for "I didn't get my way" reasons, while more legitimate "I've got to take a break from Hatrack" threads get more responses like "We'll miss you/Come back soon."

Being one of the more incidental posters, I don't necessarily want to perpetuate the heirarchy that is Hatrack, but sometimes it's nice to know when the more established members are taking a hiatus so that we don't suddenly get a bunch of "Where is this person?" threads.

But that's me.

P.S. I will accept the style points, Slash, because I wouldn't bother with an "I'm leaving" thread if I ever did leave, and because that bit about the Hatrack heirarchy was crap. I want to be among the chosen. *resists the urge to insert a most unwelcome graemlin*

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Dog, there have been several occasions when someone posted a 'I am leaving' thread, and I was thrilled. Good riddance, I said. Then looked in the thread to find that all the softies had come out to beg the person to stay.

I swear, you could be a penguin raping mass murderer and ex ceo of enron, and if you post a thread about leaving because no one likes you, people will beg you to stay.

I like your comparing it to natural selection. Some zebras need to be eaten by the lions.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

You know, I am perfectly OK with hiatus threads. I did one before I went on my driving tour of the US, and I've seen lots of other people do them for a variety of reasons. I consider it the BB equivilent of leaving a note of the fridge that says 'be back soon'.

Graemlins for the purpose of expressing a legitimate feeling in the context of a post is ok. Threads devoted to graemlins just irritate the grinches.

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I can't complain about graemlin use, since I throw [Smile] into my posts like I think they're on fire and [Smile] will put them out. Slash has it right. It when graemlins outnumber coherent thoughts, rather than mitigating them, that I begin to get annoyed.
fiazko
Member # 5812

Ah, I see. For reference, I never considered Slash and Dog to be that grinchy, at least not compared to others who shall remain nameless.

[edit because Dog posted and my post looked dumb]

[ March 17, 2004, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

See, what do you do with something like [link removed]? Clearly the poster is very, very distressed. I want to say something helpful, but I have nothing to go on. So I'm left deciding whether to ((())) this person, or make fun of them. But I'm morally opposed to the former, and as far as I can tell, the latter might lead to an immediate act of self-mutilation on their part.

Why don't I get this? Is it something to do with being male?

Edit: Lalo reminded me that I have softie blood, so I removed the link that pointed out exactly who was mystifying me at this moment.

[ March 17, 2004, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Geoff, I gotta know. Who's [name removed]? As far as I know, the only people you actively dislike on Hatrack are the two Eddies, and since I posted only twice in that thread -- once to start it, and once in a response to Dagonee -- you can't be talking about me. And I'm not entirely sure Frisco got involved in the thread at all. Who are you accusing of freaking out in the marriage thread?

Slash, I'm only half-grinch. I have a long and notable career of actively fighting the emoticon-intensive threads, but I've started far too many whiny, self-indulgent, wah-wah-lookit-me threads to earn a place among the highest tier of cynics on Hatrack. Though, to my credit, I did post a "Don't... Door... Hit... Out..." when whoever it was posted the latest everyone-hates-me-I'm-leaving-forever-goodbye thread.

Then an administrator deleted it.

That's right, Geoff, in whose veins runs the softie blood?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I think I'll let you stew over it [Smile] The person in question quickly deleted their departure thread, so I felt it would be unfair to single them out by name. It's not someone that I dislike, it's just someone that I got very, very frustrated with.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

In response to Geoff's query:

I find that those posts usually come from teenage girls.

No offense (well, maybe some offense), but teenage girls like drama and mystery and attention. A post like that is mysterious and dramatic, and forces people to pay attention to you, since they now have to beg you for information. I shudder now to think back on the inane things I said as a teenager. The desparate need for attention at that age makes us all silly.

Teenage boys: "Dude, I am such a stud, I totally score with chicks all the time. And I kick ass at [current cool activity]. Pay attention to me."

Teenage girls: "My life is so dramatic. But I can't talk about it! It's personal and my friend would kill me if I told. *sigh* But it's totally dramatic. Pay attention to me."

[ March 17, 2004, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

Well, that narrows it down. Someone you were frustrated with in a homosexual equality thread.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Eddie, it got deleted?

That sucks! Though even knowing that someone posted something like that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, just what we need, another dumb fluff thread. You're part of the problem, you big dumb lizard.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I think a legitimate issue is being discussed here.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodbye threads are the worst. I'd rather have just about anyone at Hatrack stay here, of course, but I'm not one to sob about how much I want someone I barely know to stay. I've learned to stop complaining about how lame goodbye threads are in them, though, as that usually leads to trouble. Now I stick to my policy of ignoring them unless I personally know the poster and actually want them to stay.

Geoff, threads like the one you linked to irritate the heck out of me, because I just can't figure out any constructive response to them. So once again, I just let them be.

Greamlin threads deserve to be hijacked by forum grinches.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

There's always the "If you don't like what the thread's about, ignore it" argument.
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I felt like saying that. I pretty much agree with what's being said here. Time for some spring cleaning. Some chlorine for the meme pool.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Dude, Slash, you should have seen me tonight playing Battlefield: Vietnam. I kicked ass. And I totally score all the time. [Smile]

Lalo, I was going to deny that I ever disliked an Eddie. [Smile] But then I remembered that you're pestering me to tell you something I have very good reasons not to tell you. Egad, you're annoying. [Smile] But at least you don't brag to everyone on the board about dating my sister. [Smile]

[tries to weigh Eddies on a scale; gets flustered]

EDITED TO PEPPER WITH SMILIES

[ March 17, 2004, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Heck, who hasn't dated your sister?

Or is it the bragging you object to?

[fights urge to put in smiley with all his will]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I'm enjoying the irony of all the self-correction and blow-softening I'm doing to my posts in a thread that's all about how we shouldn't do that stuff [Smile]

[ March 17, 2004, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I want to start a betting pool:

I bet that by noon tomorrow (after the rest of hatrack wakes up and sees this thread), at least three people will have been genuinely offended by it.

I'm taking three. Any other bets?

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

You know what would be the best thing ever? If someone gets so offended that they leave Hatrack, and they DON'T post a goodbye thread. That's mission accomplished, right there.
Lalo
Member # 3772

To be perfectly honest, Geoff, "softening" an insult with an emoticon seems little more than a cheap cop-out for people without enough spine to stand behind their own accusations. Why use them at all?
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Hmmm...

Now if someone I really like totally vanishes, I will always wonder if it was me.

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

So far, this thread is offensive to Lalo, Frisco, [name removed], and [link removed], entirely because of me. I really don't think you're holding up your end, Slash.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Lalo, what exactly are you being accused of? I must have missed it.

No one wants in the betting pool?

(Though if Eddie goes on much longer on Geoff, I am going to claim him as the first offended person, and then I only need two more to win)

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Lalo, if you missed the irony in those smilies, I think you're taking my entire position in this thread way too seriously.

The inability to laugh at oneself is a serious character flaw, in my opinion. You and I could probably get an awesome, entertaining banter going if you weren't so darn serious all the time [Smile]

[ March 17, 2004, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Oh, I think I did some good work on [link removed].

You could offend Lalo by tying your shoes, so that's hardly a victory. Frisco never gets offended by anything. And until you tell me who [name removed] is, I am not letting you count them.

[ March 17, 2004, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Let's just say they've got a name ... and it's been removed ... [wink, nudge]
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I think Stryker just posted in Cal's "post once" thread entirely to annoy us.
Lalo
Member # 3772

Heh. That reminds me, Ty, don't we have a long-overdue boxing match to honor? How about when I hit Portland on the bike, somewhere in June?
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

You've got to do it sometime when I can watch.
Lalo
Member # 3772

I also owe a fight to Baldar, as I recall...

Man, heh, you know this is a good forum when you get death threats from political arguments...

Lalo
Member # 3772

You like to watch men go at it, eh?

Now I see you've just been toying with me all these years in homosexual equality threads...

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Yes! A joke! Slash, I think our thread is getting somewhere!
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Holy crap, why am I still up? I need to wake up to make a flight an hour from now. Hm. Guess I'm not sleeping tonight [Smile]
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted here an hour ago and already you guys have more [edits] than Jayson Blair. Then again, recently returned or not, I'm far above worrying about petty newbie matters.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Death threats?

You must be refering to Baldar then.

Lalo
Member # 3772

No kidding this thread's getting us somewhere.

Now that you've admitted your preference to watch, Geoff, let's explore what else this means in regards to your sexuality. Have you ever lusted for a lovable, furry team mascot?

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Who hasn't?
Lalo
Member # 3772

Yeah, only Baldar's sent them explicitly, though I hear a fight with you is also a threat of quick, painful death.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I don't know, our local mascot is a hairy giant named Squatch. I think that regardless of any strange preference you might cite in me, I could never seriously want a person named Squatch.
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
::opens link, walks in::

So that's when Cindy Lou Who says to Santa Claus, "...don't forget the Grinch. I know he's mean and hairy and smelly, and his hands are cold and clammy, but I think he's kinda... sweet."

::looks around::

Oops! Wrong thread!

::backs out slowly -- departs in a run::

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn now I almost feel guilty about considering a...it's my fourth Hatrack birthday today post....Love me! Love me!
That's the great thing about being here so long and posting so infrequently no-one knows you (except maybe Tom, he knows everyone) so if you leave , no-one cares. So you don't post a "I'm leaving" thread - you just go, and then come back...and repeat.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.