FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » JerusalemCon?

Author Topic: JerusalemCon?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys... I posted in the AZ Jatraquero thread, about an idea that I kinda just threw out... but I got quite a few positive responses to it!

SO... for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about...

I'm going to be in Israel (more specifically, in Jerusalem) all year next year. Some of you have expressed interest in visiting me, so I was thinking maybe we could have a Con in Jerusalem! You guys can figure out when would be convenient for you, I'm there all year. [The Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't OSC himself just there recently?
-pooka

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I would actually love to go... and if it's a year away, I can plan for it. [Smile] I've always wanted to go, and I keep waiting for peace, but maybe that's not a good idea.

How do you get to be there for a year? That's very exciting!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to be there, but I won't have a good idea as to when for a while yet. Most likely, some time in December or January.

I might know for sure after Pesach (mid-April) -- not that I'm expecting anyone to plan around my schedule. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I might go to Israel around WInter or next April, the time they have the March of the Living in Poland but that's unlikely.

[ March 17, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oooh! People actually might come! *bounces up and down*

skrika: Yes, I think he was... maybe he wants to come this time too? [Wink]

Kat: I'm taking a year before college to go study at the Rothberg School for International Students in Jerusalem... for people who want to stay in Israel, it's like a prep year (improving Hebrew and all that). For people coming back, it's just a year of studies in Israel, I guess! No REAL purpose, but some credits can transfer with me, and it's gonna be a blast, so I'm excited. [Monkeys] It would be so awesome if you came to visit, though!

rivka: YAY! [Kiss] Well, you'd BETTER let me know when you come! And people might be able to plan around your schedule, hehe, you never know!

NFL: You SHOULD come! It's an absolutely beautiful, amazing, wonderful place. [Smile] (Not that I'm biased or anything...)

*bounces more* this is so exciting!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to come but there are numerous problems. The political climate in both countries is a bit uncomfortable about now. I'm thinking things are going to have to improve before I make a trip and then it would probably coincide with the March of the Living in Poland.

Oh yeah, I already know its beautiful I was there right before the intifada started so I hope I can go.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

The political climate is made out to be far more tumultuous than it actually is... the media completely expands everything to look like the dawn of the apocalypse. I'm not saying that situations aren't tense over in that region, but it really isn't as bad as it seems, I promise! I went last summer for 5 weeks, and over Christmas break for 10 days... my dad went for three weeks in February, and is now going again (leaving on sunday) for another 2 weeks, and it really isn't that bad. We can both vouch for that.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia! Last Post! Hug! Where has thy fluff gone?
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Raia, I still couldn't do it, at the very least for my parents' sake who would be going nuts especially if there was any violence anywhere they would simply be too worried for my safety and that kind of detracts from my ability to enjoy myself. Also its not just Israel but Poland as well. Especially since 9/11 there's been an increasing unfriendliness to Jews in all of Europe. The recent actions by the Polish president have done nothing to ease my concerns and I wouldn't be going to Israel independent of the March of the Living trip. In any case I'll definitely let you know if I do decide to go in the sort of near future.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah cause Poland is just so dangerous, especially to Jews

[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

And exactly what actions are you talking about?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Nfl: Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to guilt trip you into going or anything... I just wanted to make sure you weren't under any misapprehension. You don't HAVE to come!

Kama: Are you coming? [Smile]

Kama
Member # 3022

My budget wouldn't take it.

[Kiss]

Raia
Member # 4700

[Kiss] to you too!

But [Frown] at you not coming. Oh well, another time, I guess.

Kama
Member # 3022

nfl, please reply here, so as not to derail this thread.

[ March 20, 2004, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I shall be in Jerusalem for 2 weeks this summer. But I guess that's too early, and I don't really know whether I would be able to see anyone else who was there anyway.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Notorious Shira
Member # 6089

- posted      Profile for Notorious Shira   Email Notorious Shira         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...duh! I am going to go...and may very well not decide to go home *ahem*...sister Ruth forbids me going in the first place but she can't run very fast so that is not an issue [Smile]

*would follow Raia to the ends of the Earth*

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
You know i'll be there for the last half of december [Big Grin]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

ApostleRadio, what are you gonna be doing in Israel? I'm just curious, it sounds like fun! [Smile]

Shira, love... [Blushing] *touched* I hope you DON'T leave!! Stay with me, you can camp out in my dorm room.

Stryker: Sounds lovely. [Kiss]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, do the math for me. How much would it cost to come visit you? Are hotels expensive? Food pricy?

I guess I could ask my roommate, she has been there, but went there thanks to BirthRight Israel.

It would be so very awesome to come see you, my studies are coming along nicely and it would be a great opportunity to have a personal tour guide.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would LOVE to go to Jerusalem, but I really doubt I could afford it.

I was looking at prices on Orbitz, and all of the flights flew into Tel Aviv. Is there not an international airport in Jerusalem?

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, there's not an international airport in Tel Aviv, either. [Wink] Israel has ONE international airport -- Ben Gurion International, in Lod. It's 12 miles from Tel Aviv, and 30 from Jerusalem.

Remember, Israel is SMALL!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*giggles* Yes, that is true.

Val, I will figure out the money question to the best of my ability -- and get back to you! [Kiss]

Raia
Member # 4700

*shameless bumping*

I leave in three weeks! I thought I'd let this thread resurface, and see what people have to say now... starting July 31st, I'll be there until next summer!

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm still looking at probably going for a couple weeks in December or January.

Might know more about dates sometime in August. [Dont Know]

Raia
Member # 4700

[The Wave] [Big Grin] [Kiss] [Smile]
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
So... next year in Jerusalem?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea at this point but if I can I will. That would be great! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm hearing that winter break will be late next year. So late January, looks like.
Raia
Member # 4700

That's a big "HOORAY!" to both of you! [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

ACK! Have dates for winter break. Is considerably shorter than it has been most years. [Grumble] (Although as a teacher who never has enough time to cover material, I think it's a good thing that they're finally showing more concern about instructional days. But did it have to be THIS year!? [Wink] )

So, I'm also considering late September/early October. Anyone want to help me find good ticket prices?

rivka
Member # 4859

I HAVE TICKETS! And at a pretty good price, too. [Smile] Yay for my mom's travel agent! [Big Grin]

*bounces*

Oh, arriving in Israel September 23, and leaving October 5. Not sure yet which of those days I'll be in Yerushalayim, and which elsewhere. I'll keep you posted.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:sings 'Jerusalem of Gold' in his best barritone:

:Which isn't all that good-- like John Peter Lewis singing Enya whilst being knocked about the head with a 6'6 transvestite hermaphrodite:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*idly wonders if Jerusalem of Gold sounds anything like Yerushalayim shel Zahav* [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] No good. I'm going to Spain with the baby brother instead.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Have fun! [Smile]

You'll just have to meet the awesomeness that is Raia a different time. This time she is MINE ALL MINE! [Evil Laugh]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it does, rivka, but I sing it with a decidedly American accent, and misprounce everything.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool, Scott -- that means you sing it just like my dad. [Big Grin]
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... if I had any way to come up with the money...

I'd really love to see the Holy Land, and I'd love to see it with a Jewish friend who could give me the whole scoop [Smile]

I'm going to keep this at the very top of my wishlist, Raia darling, and I shall let you know if there is any way I can come.

And by the way... HAVE A FABULOUS YEAR!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

rivka: Of course, I knew that already by the time I checked this thread, but *BOUNCE* anyway!!!! [Big Grin] *blushes about comments to kat*

aka: DO come!! You'd love it here, you really would. [Smile]

kat: Awwwww, that's too bad!!! But Spain is good too, you'll have lots of fun there!! I've never been to Spain, I'd really love to go.

Scott: I'm sure your baritone is just lovely. [Smile] Oh, today was awful, we were all singing together (I'm not sure why, but we were), all the higher level Hebrew classes, in the auditorium... and the pianist/director person pounced on me during one of the songs and said "YOU! What's your name?" I told her, and then she said "Ok, you're going to sing this song as a solo, and represent all the women in the room."

Me = [Confused] Why me?!? There were a hundred people in the room!! So, I had to sing "Erev Shel Shoshanim" by myself, which luckily, is a song I love. But it was awful! I was so nervous! And I sounded terrible! Eep!

Annie: I would LOVE for you to come visit, yekirati! [Smile] By all means, try! I'm here for the entire year, with the exception of the occasional visit to the US... but I would happily show you around here! Israel has EVERYTHING. Beaches, big cities, mountains, desert... anything you want!

I had completely forgotten about this thread, but I was digging back, looking for something else, and found it buried on page 7, with a bunch of comments I needed to respond to, which is why I bumped it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.