FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need writting help

Author Topic: I need writting help
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on writing this, novel/novella/how ever long it ends up being... I am still working on developing my characters, right now. This is my problem... you know how your supposed to write about places you know, places you've been? Well I live in Saskatchewan, and I've never so much as left the province... Frankly, I've never read a book which was set in sask, that wasn't absolutley terrible. So any suggestions on what I could do? Its becoming quite frusterating. [Angst]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw your subject line and thought to myself, "Yes. Yes, you do."

[Smile]

Seriously, though, why do you think the books set in Sask all suck?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

Have you read any?? They all start with a discription of our fair, flat land, and the sea of golden wheat... they are horrid. I am ashamed of my province after reading such smut.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, Asimov, Heinlein, even our esteemed Mr. Card have never traveled to another planet. Write the story and set it where ever you want it to be. Do some research and then use your imagination.

Just tell the story...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
So write about why Saskatchewan novels suck. It seems to be quite a passionate point with you. [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, why not start with something like, "3000 years in the future, Saskatchewan -- formerly a flat land full of lovely, waving wheat -- had been transformed first into a bustling neometropolis, and then finally into a smoking crater. Billy, our hero, lived at the edge of the crater, and eked out a living scavenging wreckage."

[Wink] j/k

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
The advice "write about what you know" is a mistranslation. (Ignore the fact that it was originally written in English--that doesn't matter. [Smile] ) What the phrase really meant was "write about what you love."

To love something means you know about it. You understand it, you know how it is unique, and you can share your passion with someone who is unfamiliar with it.

You don't need to have actually seen it to know about it and love it. As pointed out, Heinlein never flew in a rocket ship. Bradbury once wrote a wonderful passage about someone thinking how the Earth looked like a baseball during liftoff of a rocket. This was absolutely ludicrous, because the reality is that no one would think of such things while being jostled about by the rocket. But it worked because he imbued it with his passion.

So if you need to write about Saskatchewan, write about the parts you love about it. And if there isn't anything you love about it (like my old neighborhood of Pomona, CA), look closer. It's there.

And when you're done, let me know. I've never been to Saskatchewan, and I'd love to know what it's like.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

AndrewR, you are so very encouraging. Thank you, I am feeling a whole lot better. Though I am sorry, it still will not be set in Saskatchewan.... there really isn't anything here. I'm not just being dramatic.

[Party]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, why not start with something like, "3000 years in the future, Saskatchewan -- formerly a flat land full of lovely, waving wheat -- had been transformed first into a bustling neometropolis, and then finally into a smoking crater. Billy, our hero, lived at the edge of the crater, and eked out a living scavenging wreckage."
I think the Mackenzie brothers already did that one.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Gwan, surely there are people in Saskatchewan, right? And all you need for a story is people.
gwan
Member # 6194

None of you have ever been here, obviously. I live in a town of about 1000 people... the biggest event of the year was when the temperature reach -50 and everything was shut down. Yes I can see a stroy in there but no, I refuse to be a saskatchewan writer.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let you in on a little secret, Gwan: you don't have to write about things that have actually happened or things you actually know or have experienced. You can write stories that are nothing but lies, and people will still buy them! People are total suckers!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.