FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bad Musicals (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bad Musicals
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Paint Your Wagon is soooo good. You're right that Eastwood should not sing, except in this movie. All the awfulness in that movie really come together into something magical.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate The Lion King. I only saw it once, in the theatre, but I nearly hurled. This is not the main reason that I dislike it (I've got plenty of those), but I find it amusing that Disney tried to reach out to the African-American audience with this made-up pseudo-African fable, and cast in the lead roles Matthew Broderick and Johnathan Taylor-Thomas. And let the music be done by Elton John. Even in a movie set in Africa, James Earl Jones still somehow ends up as the token black guy. What's next? The Martin Luther King story, starring Carrot Top?

Oh, and I could never stand Phantom of the Opera either.

[ March 18, 2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe No neck. By the by, I had that Brad problem when I saw that Pepsi Twist commercial where the guy didn't know who Barry Bostwick was. Alas, despite having seen the movie no few times, and despite performing the Time Warp in my HS talent show, I have yet to go to a showing. (sadness)

I disliked West Side Story, but only because of how much I hate Romeo and Juliet. The music was pretty good.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
BUT I really loved the episode of the Simpsons where they watch "Paint Your Wagon." Listening to "Clint Eastwood" sing in that one is hilariously painful. It's one Simpsons moment that never fails to make me roll.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, you're in Bloomington, right? Would you like me to try to locate a screening?

IIRC, from my years there, Bloomington IS shockingly Rocky-deprived.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Actually, St. Paul, MN. I know where one is, a bunch of my friends from HS went there a couple of times. I'm thinking about trying to mobilize my college friends into a trip, but they're so so lazy. I can't remember the name of the theater, but I know there's one in the cities somewhere, I think its the first and third Saturday of the month or something.

[ March 18, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
There's more than one, I think. Would you like me to get you an address?

On second thought -- would you like me to set you up with a date who knows exactly where they are and has costumes and stuff? ::happy matchmaker vibes go into action::

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you all how relieved I am that no LDS hatrackers have spoken up to defend Saturday's Warrior. You people rock.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to imagine a Methodist minister setting up a blind date for the Rocky Horror Picture Show and having some trouble with that mental image. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"Gonna paint the wagon,
Gonna paint it fine,
Gonna use oil-based paint
because the wood is pine."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Date...? [Angst]

(hides) But I'm just a child!!!

(serious) I don't know. I'd kind of like to go with my friends. Strangers terrify me.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not that strange,

Oh wait . . . yes he is.

Tom: [Taunt]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I dunno... Email me about it.
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Carousel was really creepy.

I saw Rocky Horror when I was a kid. Youthful rebellion and hanging out in the drama clique. What's weird is my sister massively decried my going, but when she went with her friends she dressed up in a French maid outfit. MPH, did you see it in Utah? maybe the RHPS in Utah is worse. It seems everything in Utah that is bad is much worse than everywhere else.

I just want you all to know I hated the French from way back in the late 80's. And Les Miz has a lot to do with it.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like Les Miserables... OK, mostly I hated it... it's a case of TOO much plot; the original Les Miz was ~1,200 pages -- almost as long as War and Peace -- and to squeeze it into a 90-minute musical... butchery. Watching it was like watching a farce. And to turn Thernadier into a lovable scamp, after he'd abused Cosette... ugh. It'd be like turning Bonso into a lovable scamp in the Ender's Game musical...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
hue manatee
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IIRC, from my years there, Bloomington IS shockingly Rocky-deprived.
*raises hand* I live here, and I've never seen it. [Frown]

Les Mis I hated until I was in it... now I like it much better.

Bad musicals:
Pollen
Showboat
THE SOUND OF MUSIC -- I must be the only person on this planet to not like it.
The Music Man
State Fair

When I think of more, I'll post them.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

- posted      Profile for Tiger Eye           Edit/Delete Post 
i hate 'the sound of music' with a burning passion.

although i thought evita was good.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

yah. the music man sucked too. i fell asleep when they had it on tv.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Tiger Eye: You ROCK! [Hail]

*high fives*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sound of Music is a better movie than it is a Musical.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to take my little brother and I to all sorts of musicals at the local community theater. I think it was supposed to represent high culture, with all the townspeople all dressed up and the dimming of the lights and the pinkies in the air and such.

So I was surprised, as I grew up, to discover that all the musicals I'd seen were about as intellectually stimulating as The Price is Right. I mean, really! The same goes for the operas I saw and studied in high school... man, talk about mind-numbing plots. Are there any musicals or operas that are more than just spectacle with a few thinly-woven plot strings? That are meant to be entertaining to someone over the age of 10?

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Musicals I've seen on stage, all before the age of 12:
Annie
Bye Bye Birdie
Sound of Music
Der Fledermaus
Pirates of Penzance (my favorite, because they involved the audience)
Guys and Dolls
HMS Pinafore
South Pacific
Wizard of OZ
Phantom of the Opera
another one about a boat that I can't remember the name of.

Musicals I've seen on film, mostly before the age of 12:
Unsinkable Molly Brown
Hello, Dolly
Music Man
My Fair Lady
Annie
Sound of Music
Pirates of Penzance
Evita
Gypsy
Grease
Guys and Dolls
Oklahoma
South Pacific
Singin in the Rain
Showboat
The King and I
West Side Story
Wizard of OZ
and recently, Chicago.

And they all STANK. [Smile]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

ANNIE!

That's the one I forgot. I don't like Annie at all.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suprised it took so long for someone to mention Jesus Christ Superstar...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

You know, there is one good musical I've seen... Bjork's Dancer in the Dark. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, for the same reasons I wouldn't recommend "American History X" to anyone, but it was a much more powerful story than your usual song-and-dance spectacle. Still not the best, and I had huge problems with some of the ways it was told, but it was definitely compelling and thought-provoking. And the the music and dance are pretty incredible at times. "I've seen it all" is amazing.

[ March 28, 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Tiger Eye
Member # 6353

wow. raia, right on.

annie is like a knife to the brain.

and i actually saw hms pinafore a few days ago, put on by my highschool. i was somewhat impressed, considering its a highschool.

i didnt like the fantasticks that much....it was ok but i dont want to see it again.

hm...i like cats cause im a dance freak and they've got some awsome scenes in it. but the lyrics bite.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see Jersey Girl last night (the one with Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler) and there's this whole thing with Cats and Sweeney Todd...and it's really really funny. It blatantly paints Cats as the BAD musical and Sweeney Todd as the...well, the weird one. [Smile] (I think it's the fantastic musical!) It was really cute. (The rest of the movie was pretty mediocre and somewhat raunchy in parts, so I don't recommend it.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the lyrics bite.
Funnily enough, this must be one of the few (if the only) musical/s set to the writings of a very famous poet. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
STATE FAIR IS THE WORST MUSICAL IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND.

I loathe it with the fire of a thousand suns.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you tell us how you really feel Ryan?

[Wink] It's good to see you, I miss your posts.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Why thank you. Subtlty has never been my strong suit. I've had massive computer problems of late.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Les Miserables is one of the best shows ever to hit broadway! Just the music....is amazing!

Lion King is TERRIBLEY overrated. Cmon, nice costumes, but thats IT.

Into the woods bored me to tears!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like some of the songs from "Into the Woods" ("Into the Woods," "Agony"), and I like the plot and some of the dialogue... but it just doesn't jell somehow, too stiff or something...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the blame song from Into the Woods .

Cabaret stank. It was just off-the-wall psycho weird.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Ic, I didn't get a very clear sense of exactly why you hate Les Miserables so much. Do you dislike the story? The lyrics? The music? The staging? All of the above?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the memory of watching a video of a performance of Sweeney Todd, but I saw it after being home from my mission for about six days.

Not a good idea. I was horrified.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
The music (boring and depressing) and the story (ditto). It may have been a fantastic novel, but as a musical it's just absurd . . . I honestly found myself laughing hysterically at how sad everything was. For hours afterward, actually, I was making up phony, bathos-filled songs that could have gone well in that show.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

State Fair's another one I had forgotten about. I've still never managed to finish watching the whole thing.

The opening song is so bad it's good.

Our State Fair is a great State Fair.
Don't miss it, don't even be late
And it's dollars to donuts that our State Fair
Is the best State Fair in our State.

It says something about my mother and her irrational love of all musicals that, when we moved to Texas, the thing she wanted to do most was go to the state fair and see the huge talking cowboy statue.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I actually rather enjoy the music to Les Miserables. I could understand not liking the lyrics or finding the story overly melodramatic, but I've always thought it was musically quite good. ::shrug::
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Forbidden Broadway is a must for folks who dislike these musicals...or for folks who like them but can laugh at them! Les Mis (I hate it...and I really dig musicals) gets it really good...like songs about dreaming about days when people weren't blowing money on t-shirts with "starving paupers on" them and a great overview of the entire musical in about 1 minute, capturing the ludicrous amount of plot and character details. Very funny.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a fan of musicals, but I have to admit to enjoying Paint Your Wagon.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Danny Kaye used to do a comedy bit poking fun at the cookie-cutter musicals of his day. He even included in his first big movice, Up In Arms.

The stereotypical musical in his routine is a Western.

"Up from the gulch comes a hunk of man.
He is our hero, Cowboy Dan,
A yodeling-odeling buckaroo. . .
His horse, of course, is a baritone, too."

It was a riot. Actually, the whole movie was hilarious, and it probably counts as a musical itself. After all, the supporting actress is Dinah Shore.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike "April In Paris," an old Doris Day movie musical with Ray Bolger. Doris is great, but those scarecrow legs in the serious dance numbers...what a joke!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.