FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good news Everyone.... I'm going to Russia

Author Topic: Good news Everyone.... I'm going to Russia
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
April 16th.

Why?

To meet my children.

Well, hopefully to meet the children my wife and I are adopting.

Hopeful that the children they have chosen for us are not beyond our abilities to handle (they are not severely ill or incapcitated)

I'm too happy to get into that debate.

Lets just say I'm giddier than DKW looking at one of Bob's e-mails (I almost said Post, that would have been quickly sent to the naught lines thread).

Excuse me if I babble like Storm about politics, or any of the Wenches about Orlando Bloom.

I be happy!

And the more I think about it, the happier I feel.

There will be time for worries, fears, and guilt over the overwhelming undone stuff waiting for me later.

Right now: [Party]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Yay Dan! You HAVE to learn Russian so you can keep your kids bi-lingual. (Or are they infants?) I'm so happy! I can't wait to adopt, too!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting! Congratulations!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I have a stack of Russian books, and a Franklin translator and cd's and games and other Russian language help.

I also have an Aunt her is taking russian language courses at the local college. Boy she will go to great lengths to get a babysitting gig.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Dan. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Party]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lets just say I'm giddier than DKW looking at one of Bob's e-mails (I almost said Post, that would have been quickly sent to the naught lines thread).

[Wink]

Dan, this is great news. I hope your trip goes off without a hitch and that you come home with your family expanded.

Congratulations, good luck, and Godspeed.

I'm dedicating a portion of today's giddyness to your success!

[The Wave]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have alot of materials, you probably don't need to know this but I'll tell you anyway.

My favorite series is Language/30, which starts at basically conversational, but also includes the alphabet and has all the phrases in the Cyrillic alphabet as well as Roman, so it's great for learning how to pronounce the Cyrillic alphabet just by practice.

Shyasliva!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!!! That really is exciting news!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. Good luck and we want pictures when you get back.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Dan!

Is this just an initial visit or might you actually get to bring them home with you?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot! Dan!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I really hope it turns out well.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Dan! *feels vicariously giddy* [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot! Dan!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I really hope it turns out well.

[Smile]

If I may ask - why are you adopting?
Is it from a "there are kids without parents that need them" standpoint, or something else? If you don't want to answer this, I really won't mind. I was just curious. Please tell me if I'm being too nosy. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOT!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Dan!

And congrats to the kids that get to come home with a great guy who'll be a great Dad!!!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, that's wonderful! I'm very excited for you. [Smile] Yes, please post pictures when you get back. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!

[Party]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Rivka, I read that first as Icarusly, then as Vicarously (like a "vicar" in a British comedy). I was very confused.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Dan!!

Does this mean you'll be leaving hatrack for awhile?

(Somebody had to ask, today)

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so happy for you, Dan!

Have you started getting stuff together for the donation to the orphanage? I'd be happy to send some stuff.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*thumbs up*
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, Dan, I got a little flutter in my tummy when I read the title of this thread. Hooray for you! Hooray for Mrs. Raven!

I wish you good, safe travel. And speedy bureaucratic wheels!

Can't stop grinning!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*straps on waxy wings and starched collar*

That better, PSI? [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thanks everyone.

PSI, thaks for the reference.

We are going to the Atrakahn region, bordering Kazakstan, on the Caspian (Picture Iran, then go due North) to meet with children they have approved for foriegn adoption.

Assuming everything goes well, we come home for a month or more, then go back to Moscow for all the official paperwork.

Why adopt and why from Russia? Well that's a landmark thread and that would take too much out of me today.

Will I be gone? For a while, though I'll try to report in from Russia. We have a digital camera so pictures will be arranged, trust me.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dan! You and your wife are going to be wonderful parents. Have a safe trip and take lots and lots of pictures. Yay!

[Party]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan rocks.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so [Cool] . Good luck and have a safe trip.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! And here I thought an insurance company called "Russia" was ripping off Geico's ad campaign...

[ March 17, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Yesterday, the man in the office on my left ran to the hospital as his wife gave birth.

Today I get the call that we are getting our kids.

The woman in the office to my right is suddenly very worried.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[tangent]
Did anyone else read the title of this thread in a Professor Farnsworth voice?
[/tangent]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*
Georgia!

Georgia...

Back in the USSR!

[Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats [Big Grin]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Otlichno! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Funny Lud, I typed it in a professor Farnsworth voice.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!!!!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
That's supremely cool, Dan. Hope the trip goes well!
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, Dan. Good luck.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, Strider and I think that's just the best thing ever. If you need help translating, Greg's your guy!
I hope everything works out for you! [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Dan!

(How many children are you adopting?)

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and best wishes! Looking forward to the pictures.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.