FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is What Science is For

Author Topic: This is What Science is For
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Bubbles that sink
quote:
People celebrating St. Patrick’s Day Wednesday can cross one topic of conversation off their lists.

Guinness bubbles really do sink.

Scientists said Monday they had finally proved that the dark stout’s creamy bubbles defy expectations and flow down instead of upwards.

“Our group carried out preliminary experiments at a local pub a few years ago, but the results proved inconclusive,” said Dr. Andrew Alexander, from the University of Edinburgh’s School of Chemistry.

They first thought the dark liquid flowing down as a pint was poured gave the illusion the bubbles were going down as well.

Now close examination has revealed that, as a pint settles, bubbles touching the walls of the glass experience drag, similar to that a person feels sliding a finger along glass, and that prevents them floating up.

The bubbles in the middle however, are free to rise, creating a circular flow within the glass that causes bubbles at the edge to be pushed downwards on the inside surface of the glass.

The Edinburgh team, working with researchers at Stanford University in California have produced high-speed video footage of the sinking bubbles — to put at rest the minds of any drinkers who might have felt they were seeing things.

[ March 17, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
This probably calls for a lot more amateur testing, if you know what I mean.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Beer.

Is there anything it can't do?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, basically, if you had a hot tub full of Guinness and a bunch of flatulent people, you'd never know when someone ripped one!

[Big Grin]
[Dont Know]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing beer can't do is meet my digestive system; I gave it up for Lent!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Bob, because of your long history of witty and amusing posts, I'm going to forget you just made that blasphemous one above.

Slash, I know you're the type of guy that's going out tonight for some green beers.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not a cold one, it's hardly a one at all.

*sings*
Do! A beer, I need a beer.
Ra! A guy who brings me beer.
Me! Myself! I want a beer!
Fa! A long way for a beer!

So! I think I'll have a beer!
La! La la la la la beer!
Te! No thanks, I'll have a beer!

That will bring us back to DOH! BEER! DOH! BEER!DOH!

[Razz]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up silly religious stuff for lent.

So, I'll have a beer, please.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

<passes Slash a green Coors Light>
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who has listened to the Yoopers knows this one.

"The only beer for me is the beer I drink for free."

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, *that* is a good way to get hurt...
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Coors Light.puh-leaze.

I think I wil have to do some testing of my own when I get home from work tonight. Good thing I've got some Guinness on hand.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I like - science experiments that can be repeated in the home.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread needs a woman's touch.

*puts up pink, frilly curtains*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeek! Death to grandma curtains!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.