FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air . . .

Author Topic: And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air . . .
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

I have finished the book I have been editing for most of the last six months. It's gone. I no longer have to deal with the rambling, the bad grammar, the bizarre usage, the problems galore that plagued the manuscript from end to end. And I just wanted to let Hatrack know of my newfound joy.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
good for you!!! Thats really exciting. [Party]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo-hoo!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Jon Boy . . . interested in expanding the Semantic Web?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Semantic Web? What's that?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Whose book were you editing?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It was a history of the BYU Department of Communications, written by an incompetent professor and former journalist.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*cackles maniacally*

The Semantic Web is an effort (by one of the original creators of the Web) to encode meaning (metadata, if you will) about resources (on the web and elsewhere) in a program-'understandable' format. Or rather, to get people to include such encoded meaning in their web pages, much as they include titles and such in it today.

The Semantic Web is largely based upon the Resource Description Framework (RDF) concept, which encodes meaning in 'triples' having a subject, a predicate, and an object. The subject and predicate are both resource specifiers, while the object is either a resource specifier or raw data (if one had one's name stored somewhere, one could use either then name itself or the resource specifier referring to where it is store when using it as an object, for instance).

You may or may not be familiar with another technology being used in the Semantic Web (its quite popular among librarians, for instance), the Dublin Core Metadata specification, which can be expressed in RDF.

The importance of the Semantic Web is that it makes it possible for programs to decipher meaning in resources such as web pages, documents, maps, et cetera. For instance, if the relevant documents are marked up using Semantic Web technologies, one could search for the restaurants mentioned in a particular book which are in a certain city and serve fettucine alfredo. Not only would such queries be possible, they would be easy.

That is the promise of the Semantic Web, and (though I'm a bit busy to talk about it right now), I would like to talk to you about it for a bit at some point.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm not sure I'd be able to work on a project like that right now, but I'd certainly like to hear more about it.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Jon Boy! May it be the worst project you ever have to deal with. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great occasion!

[ March 18, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Jon Boy.

That Semantic web thing for some reason reminds me of the story of how the Jet Stream discovery was buried for years because the Japanese scientist who discovered it thought the best way to publicize it would be to translate it into esperanto.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Esperanto? No wonder they lost the war.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.