FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The value of the last word.

Author Topic: The value of the last word.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
If there weren't, people wouldn't always be trying to have it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grinch
Member # 6034

- posted      Profile for grinch   Email grinch         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying there's not?
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure! Closing arguments in trials are often critical to a jury's deliberations.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Is it a false value, though?

I mean, is it just pride, or is there actual value to it?

In a criminal trial, the defendent gets the last word, one final chance to defend himself. Was it always set up like that?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Heh. Jinx.

I was just thinking about my one and only debate tournament in high school, which caused me to flee in horror at the mechanations of it.

The assumption that the last word actually does have value rests on believing that what it may get you - a trophy, and so on - is worth the price you pay to have the last word.

In a trial, there's no doubt - freedom is worh it. In something like this place, is there any prize worth the price?

I guess I'm asking if the last word has net value.

[ March 19, 2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, from a practical standpoint, that which you've heard most recently you remember better....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Having the last word feels like you couldn't have been argued with anymore, like you got your point across and they were made speechless.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a criminal trial, the defendent gets the last word, one final chance to defend himself. Was it always set up like that?
Nope - Prosecutor gives openings first and closings last. He gets the benefits of primacy and recency. But he also has the burden of proof.

In policy debates, the Affirmative side also goes first and last.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*last post*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Is that often true?

I mean, for all the arguments that have petered out, how many here have truly stopped posting because they were overwhelmed by someone's logic and brilliance?

I think if someone has let down their pride enough to be persuaded by an argument, then they are humble enough to say it. In which case, the last words are "I agree."

Added: Thank you, Dag.

[ March 19, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a last word from another thread, that I wanted to post but it got closed.

An oblivion of stupidity means that it's so stupid it'll be totally forgotten, so what's the point of deleting it anyway? [Smile]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a phenomenon called susceptibility. It's a key component in folks who lack primary morality. (the ability to act ethically whatever those ethics happen to be.) Susceptible people who follow the last word can always be had back later.

The opposite of susceptible is autonomous. If one is totally autonomous, there is not much use in engaging in dialogue. And yet these are the people who will elevate the better quality argument over the louder one, or the one most recently heard.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Jonny, I don't want to be specific. I'm trying to be general on purpose. There was a thread a while where someone asked if it was wrong to always need to have the final word.

Also, there was a thread on Nauvoo where someone came to agree with somebody who had a completely different opinion, and I was so incredibly impressed by the person saying that they did come to agree. So, I've been thinking about it.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a sneaky way of riving the last post thread?

I have the last word and it is.

Kumkwat.

Try puny mortals, try to defeat the power of my last word====Kumkwat.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Dan, I don't know what riving is, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to watch.
K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]

*last post*

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
didn't we have a thread about this a month or two ago?
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "rive" meant to split someting open. I remember studying it in high school because some kid came up with a very strange sentence to illustrate. It involved controlled substances, by the way, not anything directly violent.

I hate having the last word because it usually means I've killed the thread. I check back in to see if anyone has replied to me.

I know in an argument it is hard to keep in that last word. If I don't say anything further, I just sit there and boil.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I like discussions best that end with the people involved understanding how the other sees the world and agreeing to disagree. Too many arguments involve trying to break someone down, force them to change their paradigm. Such a dramatic change in thought does not happen lightly, certainly not as a result of an argument. And when they are being treated disrespectfully, they are a lot less likely to want to listen to you at all.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
First, the word should have been reviving. So I left off a few letters. I still believe that people who have only one way to spell a word lack imagination

Second, the last word has value mostly to people who love the sound of their own voice.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.