FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddles - know any?

Author Topic: Riddles - know any?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the one in the first Harry Potter, but I'm looking for some more. Y'all know of any good ones?

For example: What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 digits - just 2 digits, nothing else?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Einstein riddle, which was introduced to me by a C++ programming teacher. It is as follows:

There are 5 houses of 5 different colors. In each house lives a person of a different nationality. Each of the 5 residents drinks a certain type of beverage, smokes a certain brand of cigar, and keeps a certain pet. None of them have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same beverage.

The question is: Who owns the fish?

Hints:

- The Brit lives in the red house.
- The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
- The Dane drinks tea.
- The green house is on the left of the white house.
- The resident of the green house drinks coffee.
- The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
- The resident of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
- The resident of the center house drinks milk.
- The Norwegian lives in the first house.
- The person who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
- The person who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
- The person who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
- The German smokes Prince.
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
- The person who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

**Einstein wrote this riddle this century. He said 98% of the world could not solve it. It's not hard, you just need to pay attention and be patient.**

I'm sure if you googled, you could find the answer pretty easily, but then that's not a whole lot of fun, is it? I think Einstein was overestimating the difficulty of the riddle, as it's not really very hard.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh CRAP! How could you?? I did that riddle in middle school and I got it down to two things I couldn't decide. (Two empty boxes.) I think I finally threw it away in disgust.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
BILBO: (to himself) What have I got in my pocket?

GOLLUM: Not fair! It isn’t fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it’s got in its nassty little pocketses?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
arg. THere's a bunch in a book I JUST read, but of course ken took it home so he could read it. I do know one, though. The ones in Hobbit are good, too.

When is a Door not a Door?

When it's ajar.

Ni!

[ March 20, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: knightswhosayni! ]

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Waste not the seven
That nurture and feed
But given in battle
Is the noblest of deeds.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I expected a tougher riddle out of Einstein.

Though it was frustrating for a second when I had the Swede racing towards lung cancer by smoking three different cigarettes.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

quote:
For example: What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 digits - just 2 digits, nothing else?
I can hold a pencil with my thumb and index finger(2 digits), and write a very big number.

[ March 20, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Okay, apparently that isn't the right answer to the digit riddle.

It's the funny answer though, and it works.

knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it written riddles you're looking for, Kat, or numerical ones? I'll post the riddles here, and the answers in another post.

Anyway, here are some word ones:

What has four wheels and flies?

What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a bed but never sleeps,has a head but never weeps?

What has four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs at night?

What is no sooner spoken than broken?

Feed me and I live, give me drink and I die, what am I?

I pass before the sun, yet make no shadow. WHat am I?

What is light as a feather, but no man can hold it for long?

If you break me, I'll not stop working. If you touch me, my work is done. If you lose me, you must find me with a ring soon after. What am I?

What may go up a chimney down, but cannot go up a chimney up?

We are very little creatures, all of us have different features. One of us in glass is set; one of us you'll find in jet. Another you may see in tin, and a fourth is boxed within. If the fifthyou should pursue, it can never fly from you. What are we?

Where may you find roads without carts, forests without trees, cities without houses?

Cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind the stars, and beneath the hills. Ends life and kills laughter. What is it?

This thing runs but cannot walk, sometimes singsbut never talks. Lacks arms, has hands; lacks a head but has a face. What is it?

What builds up castles, tears down mountains, makes some blind, helps other to see?

What lives in winter, dies in summer, and grows with it's roots upward?

Man walks over; man walks under; in time of war he burns asunder. What is it?

What has eyes but cannot see? (four answers)

In a tunnel of darkness lies a beast of iron. It can only attack when pulled back. What is it?

Walk on the living, they don't even mumble. Walk on the dead, they mutter and grumble. What am I?

I am emeralds and diamonds, lost by the moon. I am found by the sun, and picked up soon. What am I?

With no wings, I fly. With no eyes, I see. With no arms , I climb. More frightening than any beast, stronger than any foe. I am cunning, ruthless, and tall; In the end, I rule all. What am I?

Out of the eater, came forth meat, and out of the strong came forth sweetness.

Answers later.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the same book (I'm rereading its sequel right now), I could come answer these. [Smile]

But you got on the scene first with these and I don't want to spoil your fun. [Smile]

And besides, my book is at home right now and I won't have my hands on it for another couple of hours. [Grumble]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rolf Singer
Member # 3972

- posted      Profile for Rolf Singer   Email Rolf Singer         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the digit one...theres two ways I'd approach that one. Either two digits is a play on subtleties fo the english language and refers to "pick any two digits, like 1 and 0, and then use them to write the biggest number you can think of, because you're only using two different digits".

Or else how bout 9 to the power of 9? Thats two digits and a pretty large number.

Am I close ? [Wall Bash]

[ March 20, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Rolf Singer ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

I know, everyone else who's read Wizard and Glass are not allowed to guess, either.

Ni!

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Fitz-Are you sure einstine said that? It only took me about 30-60 minates to figure it out.

This site has some riddles, although not all of them are answered correctly on the site.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the point is that its really hard, but how few people have the basic logic and mild determination necessary to solve even such a simple puzzle.

Einstein wasn't all that much of a populist.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My tines be long
My tines be short
My tines end ere my first report
What am I?

If you've played Beyond Zork or are Tom Davidson, you know this one, of course, but I've always liked it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a riddle that Einstein is associated with:

Two cars start out 100 miles from each other. They travel towards each other, one going 30 mph and the other going 70 mp. When they start, a fly at the 30mph car flies towards the other car. The fly travles 100mph. When it reaches a car, it turns around and flies back towards the other car. It keeps going back and forth until the cars crash into each other. The question is how many total miles did the fly travel?

||
||
||
||
***SPOILER***
||
||
||
||

The answer is 100 miles. You know this because after one hour, one car traveled 30 miles, and the other 70 miles. That's when they crashed. Since the fly flew at 100 mph for one hour, it traveled 100 miles.

Somebody told this riddle to Einstein. He thought for a little bit came up with the answer of 100 miles. The person said something to the effect of "Ah, you got the trick. You don't have to calculate it at all. Since the whole thing took one hour, the fly traveled 100 miles"

Einstein got a surprised look on his face, and said (something like) "Oh! I didn't realize that. Clever!"

Einstein had caluclated it all out in his head to come up with the answer. And people say that he wasn't good at math!!!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That one's been attributed more plausibly to others.

Einstein, while good at math, was never known for being able to do it in his head at lightning speed.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
A man was found dead in a room surrounded by 53 bicycles. How did he die?
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
SPOILERS BELOW - plus the answer

=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
---------- 53 bicycles = 53 playing cards, he was cheating, and someone got mad and made him dead.---------

[ March 22, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always annoyed at riddles that demand that you come up with the exact same story that the writer did. I mean, a man dies surrounded by bicycles? Maybe they fell on him from great height. Maybe he killed himself in a bicycle shop. With the information given, any answer is plausible. I dunno, it seems like such a riddle is only "hard" because you don't have enough information. A riddle is much more clever if it DOES provide you with all necessary information, including information that excludes the obvious wrong answers, and is still difficult to get.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
dog - I agree but it's the only one I know and I remebered being so POed because I couldn't figure it out. [Smile]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Anybody have a copy of the game Mindtrap? If so we could have a new Mindtrap thread in honor of MOTO. Anybody know what happened to her, by the way?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I want some ANSWERS! There are an awful lot of unsolved riddles above. Let's see a little closure, here, can we? <taps foot impatiently>
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a neat one... Historical, though.

Warrior I may be, but I fear not my
tendon, and I bury the dead.
I am a deceiver, a sheepmaster and horsemaster,
Through and Through.

It's actually pretty easy, and all the other riddles I know are from Wizard and Glass.

[ March 23, 2004, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
book,

haven't got the slightest? another clue?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's someone from The Iliad, but I can only tell who it's not at this point. Odysseus, maybe?

Edit: Yep, it's Odysseus.

[ March 23, 2004, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hovinmoutheses?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the answers to ni's riddles!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer--42
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked this one. It's not too difficult I think, but then again, I already know the answer. [Wink] Here goes:

From the start of all eternity, to the ends of time and space,
I am the begining of every ending, and at the end of every race...

What am I?

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
the letter "e"
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, here's the answer to my riddle. Skip this post if you'd rather figure it out on your own.

Lightning.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a professional clown.
My professional clown name is "What".
I can spend 15 minutes with a group of kids, and their parents, asking/telling them "What is my name."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Too easy peter? Or have you heard that one before? It is better if spoken rather than written oout I think. I like yours Neomen..I will remember that one.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan_raven -- do you play second base? [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
PV, First time I've seen it, although reading it made it much easier I think. I was so excited, cuz usually I'm a total dunce when it comes to riddles.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

I'll give a try at some of kwsni's riddles:

quote:
A garbage truck?

quote:
What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a bed but never sleeps,has a head but never weeps?
A river? Not sure this really fits, though.

quote:
What has four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs at night?
This is the riddle of the sphynx, no? The answer: man (or woman, if you prefer).

quote:
Fire.

quote:
Breath?

quote:
This thing runs but cannot walk, sometimes singsbut never talks. Lacks arms, has hands; lacks a head but has a face. What is it?
A clock.

quote:
A bridge.

quote:
Offhand, I can only think of a potato and a needle.

quote:
Walk on the living, they don't even mumble. Walk on the dead, they mutter and grumble. What am I?
Leaves.

quote:
I am emeralds and diamonds, lost by the moon. I am found by the sun, and picked up soon. What am I?
Dew?

So, am I right? [Smile] I'm curious about the others.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that Einstein riddle is frickin' annoying. But I solved the dang thing. The German owns the fish.

I think it would have been easier to list the 25 possibilities and do it by process of elimination.

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony and I bought a "word games" book a while back, thinking it would be good fun. Instead it was filled with the most stupid riddles I have ever seen.

Riddles like:

"Mrs Jones sat down one evening to read a book. She turned on her bedside light, but found this didn't help. Why?"

Yes, the power was still on. Yes, it was dark. No, Mrs Jones wasn't blind.

The answer is that Mrs Jones' little son Timmy had snuck inside that afternoon and painted the globe black.

Well, of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I'll try and dig up the book tonight and write out some of them - they are so bad as to be mildly amusing.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
What if your answer was that her son JIMMY had painted the globe black? Do you get half points?
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I will never forget the riddle scene in The Hobbit. Creepiest passage in all literature. I loved it. I knew some of the riddles, too! My favorite:

Alive without breath,
as cold as death,
all in water never drinking
dressed in mail never clinking.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's Odysseus. Easy stuff, even if you couldn't get the horsemaster and sheepmaster bit, because he was the "deceiver."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

Ack!

I should not post in threads saying I'll post later. I invariably forget about them.

so here are the answers:

A garbage truck.

A river

Man. (Crawls as a child, stands on two legs as an adult, uses a cane when old.)

What is no sooner spoken than broken?

Silence.

Fire.

I pass before the sun, yet make no shadow. WHat am I?

Wind.

Breath.

If you break me, I'll not stop working. If you touch me, my work is done. If you lose me, you must find me with a ring soon after. What am I?

A human heart.

What may go up a chimney down, but cannot go up a chimney up?

An umbrella.

We are very little creatures, all of us have different features. One of us in glass is set; one of us you'll find in jet. Another you may see in tin, and a fourth is boxed within. If the fifthyou should pursue, it can never fly from you. What are we?

Vowels.

Where may you find roads without carts, forests without trees, cities without houses?

On a map.

Cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind the stars, and beneath the hills. Ends life and kills laughter. What is it?

Darkness.

A clock.

What builds up castles, tears down mountains, makes some blind, helps other to see?

Sand.

What lives in winter, dies in summer, and grows with it's roots upward?

An icicle.

A bridge.

A needle, a hurricane, a potato, and a true lover.

In a tunnel of darkness lies a beast of iron. It can only attack when pulled back. What is it?

A bullet.

Leaves.

Dew.

With no wings, I fly. With no eyes, I see. With no arms , I climb. More frightening than any beast, stronger than any foe. I am cunning, ruthless, and tall; In the end, I rule all. What am I?

Imagination.

Out of the eater, came forth meat, and out of the strong came forth sweetness.

(this one i don't quite understand, maybe someone wiht more bible study can explain it.)
THe answer in my book: THe eater is a lion; the sweetness is honey made by bees which hived in the lion's skull. ::shrug::

THis thread makes me wonder if i should restart my story thread. We've had a lot of newbies since I told those. Maybe after this week is over, when I have some time to hatrack.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The last one is Shimshon's (Samson's) riddle. He came across a lion carcass that had become the site of a beehive. He posed the riddle as a challenge, and it has some more subtle meanings too -- but it's been about 15 years since I last learned it in detail . . . [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Yey, I got all the ones I answered right! [Big Grin]

That last one reminds me of the Giant's Drink.

The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
how can you make half of 12 equeal 7 with only those numbers?

man my minds gone blank all of a sudden and all the other riddles i know need pictures or need to be spoken and really the one I posted might need to be as well.

Spoiler coming in:

Anwser: take the Romen numeral XII(12) and cover the bottem half(or erase what ever pleases you) to get VII.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 digits - just 2 digits, nothing else?
∞ + --|--
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, The Wiggin, it works in base-12, too [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.