FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CEO culture and the Presidential Legacy

Author Topic: CEO culture and the Presidential Legacy
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Shortsightedness as an adaptive advantage (?) in the American free market/political ecology.

What are the goals of the CEO of a corporation? What must s/he accomplish during his or her tenure? How long is that tenure in a fluid/fold-or-explode/merging corporate economy?

Translate this to the 4-year lifespan of the Presidency (coupled with corporate interests and whatnot).

What kind of outcome can this state-of-affairs generate? It's hard to imagine anyone in either or both of these situations is concerned with the longterm benefit of the people they are meant to govern.

[Confused]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

The above questions/statements have nothing to do with whether you are a Shark or a Jet. Please don't make gang signs if you feel compelled to post here.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, people who are guaranteed long term tenure have no reason to feel responsibility to anyone. We sure have been there before. They can do what they want for an even longer period of time, and make the special interests that much harder to uproot.

In democracies, the leaders are irresponsible or responsible for four years or even eight, as opposed to for a few decades. And even in democracy, the people can be shortsighted and not care about the well-being of their children. Or their own well-being in ten years.

No, democracy is not perfect.

But the only way to remove the element of political expediency is through absolute rule. Even then, since absolute rule is only theoretical and there is a small group of helpers, the helpers can rebel, and there are always popular coups to worry about. And if power is kept, it can be quite arbitrary.

Yes, this is quite an old question. The solution is to get a good ruler, put him/her in ANY type of governmental system whatsoever, and let him/her work his/her magic. Now, finding good rulers...

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Old questions are the sort I find in the lint-trap whenever I do my laundry.

I think the short-term tenure is entirely consistent with fulfillment of impulsive selfish needs.

The long-term tenure is apt to corruption by an assembly of folks in a long-lived institution.

hard to say what's good for a civilization. *shrug*

fallow

fallow
Member # 6268

I honestly can't see how it's possible to obtain/vote-for a "good' leader unless that leader's personal fulfillment is in line with that of the governed populace.

how hard is that?

mighty hard.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.