FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » scandalous (yet socially acceptable) addictions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: scandalous (yet socially acceptable) addictions
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a recovering competition junkee.

Oooh, competition. . . just saying the word makes me sweat.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cheap. I still don't have a phone because I don't feel like paying the installation fee. I walk everywhere because I don't want to pay for the bus. I'm such a miser, it's unreal.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm addicted to information. When I discovered the Internet in 1994, I basically did nothing but surf, eat, and sleep for two solid weeks. I find it nearly impossible to walk into a bookstore and not walk out with an armload of books. I buy far more books than I actually have time to read, honestly, but I like having bookshelves full of possibilities. When I clean my house, it's not at all uncommon for me to catch myself, hours after I officially started cleaning, reading all sorts of interesting books and articles I'd forgotten about, the mess around me nearly untouched. I'm fascinated by nearly everything. I can spend hours watching dust motes, or ants, or spiders, or nearly anything in the natural or human world. Pretty much the only thing that bores me is sports, honestly, but if I have to attend a sporting event I usually have a good time watching the audience.

Basically, I'm addicted to this life. I'm having a fantastic time so far. If it's true that we reincarnate here until we're done being fascinated by the world, I definitely have a few million lifetimes left to go.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My school library just smacked my huge fine onto my tuition so that I would be forced to pay it.
Bummer. I've had a $60 fine at the University of Alberta Rutherford Library for about 3 years now. The funny thing is, I don't even go to school there anymore, and they still send me monthly reminders to pay the fine. They wish.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm addicted to Hatrack, books, and something that would give CT the vapors. In fact, I'm going to the Library to get my weekly book fix this very evening!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also addicted to learning and interacting with smart people.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
I am addicted to sandwich cookies and staring out the window at Provo while I eat them.

I am also addicted to books, which have caused me to lose more good sleeping time than the entire life span of the average 10-year-old.

And Hatrack, which I vow to give up every other day.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great thread. But I must say, my addictions are more embarrassing than yours. [Wink]

We've got:

--VH1 Countdowns. Doesn't matter what countdown, I just *have* to know what is going to be number one! (Good thing I don't watch more TV, because this one could become pretty consuming.)

--Friends. Good thing it's the last season and I will be done after this year!

--Britney Spears' new song Toxic. Yes I know, I'm hanging my head in shame as I admit to it. [Embarrassed] Two of my roommates and I can listen to it over and over again...so very sad. It's just the one song though, honest!

As for the not-so-embarrassing ones:

--Harry Potter. [Big Grin]

--OSC

--Hatcrack. duh.

--movies. If weren't so completely broke right now, I would have the best DVD collection ever. For now though, I just sit and make lists, and dream of what my collection will be like someday. [Smile]

--books. See above, though I haven't started a list yet for this dream-collection. [Smile]

Edit: I left out my newest TV addiction! Smallville! The show itself is not that great, and each episode is rather like the one that came before it. But what can I say? I got sucked in. Tom Welling is SO hot, and he's Superman...can't get much better than that. [Blushing]

[ March 22, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't even talk about power tools if you don't use Milwaukee brand power tools.
PC, my dad owns more power tools than me and he has a Milwaukee drill and sawzall. I at least get to use them whenever I go home (a whole twice a year, and not even on holidays). Besides, they are not the best, just one of the best. Black and Decker make great quality power tools as well.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting something expensive for very cheap.
I love that. Buying some 200 thing for just 50 bucks. Or a 30 buck pair of pants for 2 bucks. It's the best!
And library sales.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
VH 1 Countdowns!!!!

I can't stop giggling. I am the same way, but it is any countdown. I shiver just thinking about the top 100 people of the world.(The one they did in 2000, I forget the title of the countdown)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! A friend! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings is (after dear Hatcrack, of course) what comes anywhere near an addiction to me, but it's not really an addiction (that's what they all say, right?) and it's not scandalous. So...

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
All right people. Books are NOT... I repeat NOT... a shameful addiction. Shame on all you who said they were. [No No] Unless, of course, your addicted to romance novels. That might constitute shameful, depending on what kind. But really, I have seen very few truly shameful addictions in here (knowing the backstreet boys songs being a memorable exception). Are you all really that... well, nonsacndalous? I mean, come now. I started this thread with something relatively tame, thinking I'd get the ball rolling and you all would just run with it, outdoing each other with every post. But I see no scandal. I see no dirty little secrets. Where is my soap opera material? Where is my Ann Coulter worthy gossip? I NEED GOSSIP!!!!! FEED ME PETTY SINS!!!!! (gasping)
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

posted March 21, 2004 05:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Law and Order. They show it all the time on USA and TNT. But I just can't get eough.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dagonee
Member # 5818

posted March 21, 2004 05:21 PM
dunk DUNK!

I love that sound.

(feels a warm camaraderie with MPH and Dag...)

I love that show so much that it should be illegal. I need moneys so I can buy the boxsets!!! [Cry]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

Actually, it is illegal to love that show in New Zealand, Ryuko.
Yeah, they hate that show over there. They've also banned "The Price is Right" for some unfathomable reason.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
I have several minor addictions:

Cheap strawberry milkshakes.

Fencing.

Hurting myself.

Buying fencing gear.

more to come, if i ever think about it.

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My addictions are not scandalous, merely expensive. Textiles... 100% cotton, high thread count sheets, cashmire and pashmina sweaters, shoes with real leather soles, silk pajama pants. Hard cover books, crystal glasses that make a beautiful ringing sound when you ever-so-gently clink them together for a toast, fine food and wine, eaten slowly with good conversation. I am, in my heart, a creature of luxury. As long as I don't have to pay full price, which means I spend way too much time shopping. But it's fun, and it saves my pocketbook.

Um, I also have a Milwaukee Tools sawzall, a couple of black & decker power sanders, and a lovely assortment of handtools, some of which belonged to my grandfather. Way cool. But for most powertools I don't need to buy, I just borrow Daddy's. I thought I was getting an air compressor for Christmas this year, but I got a KitchenAid instead. Maybe next year.... *covets*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
COPS. Seriously. The TV show. So badly addicted, as any of you who AIM me know. I regularly give those people updates of what I'm watching on COPS.

Also, Law and Order SVU.

Newlyweds. This show CRACKS ME UP.

DVDs. I love DVDs.

Challenges. I thrive on them. I really do.

New, adrenaline rush sports. Hiking, rock climbing, fencing, whitewater kayaking, sailing, snowboarding.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My name is foundling, and I'm addicted to Americas Next Top Model.
I was just about to put that entire post in OOC, when I realized he said "my name" - not "my thing" - and "foundling" - not "fondling".

*sigh*

Anyway, I'm addicted to drinking. Not alcohol, just something. I always have to have a beverage nearby, be it soda, juice, or water. Never anything hot, though.

I also have an addiction to driving. I've honestly gotten the shakes during a three day period in which I didn't drive at all.

I'm also addicted to Hatrack, but I think that drops below the "socially acceptable" line. [Wink]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

He?????? Do I sound masculine?

And ooc? What the hey diddly hi ho is OOC?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the OOC thread, where we put things that when taken Out Of Context, sound scandalous [Razz] !
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

Ahhhhh. Frequented by dirty, dirty minds. Tsk tsk [No No]
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda addicted to this place. There's the drama. But, there's a certain level of questioning going on, and that's always a good thing. maybe NOT SO much questioning regarding thought-lines as there could be, but definitely challenging all in all.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, it is illegal to love that show in New Zealand, Ryuko.
Yeah, they hate that show over there. They've also banned "The Price is Right" for some unfathomable reason.

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
What on earth are you rabbitting on about?

Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Stargate SG-1. I almost stayed home from a family dinner when the season finale conflicted.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Books... definitely...can't walk into a bookshop without buying a book... that said, I own very few books that I haven't read, thanks to many train journeys recently.

I used to have an addiction to bridge - if ever there was a game on I'd be watching or playing, but now not so much. The bridge dreams were funny though...

My most recent addiction is 2-player Columns - housemate has a Sega Master System and thrashes me regularly, but it's still fun. And I can win one bout out of three, now, so there!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.