FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The famous five...

Author Topic: The famous five...
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
okay...so here's the context. Imogen and I are sitting here having the old "what five people would you invite to a dinner party if you could choose anyone" conversation.

Here's our picks (and justifications)

1. Orson Scott Card. (no justification necessary)

2. Michael Moore. (we're sitting here watching series two of "The Awful Truth" and laughing a lot - and let's face it - it's not a dinner party without a bit of tension)

3. Arnie (the Governor) Schwarznegger. (We figure this one on two counts: 1. It would be good to have someone that OSC and MM can jointly feel superior to... and 2. He can pull MM and OSC apart when they try to kill one another...)

4. David Suzuki. (Let's face it, if we're going to have one left wing hippie type, we might as well have two.)

5. Joss Wheddon. (Buffy. Buffy Buffy. 'Nuff Said.)

So...Whom would you choose?

[ March 21, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my five are OSC, Michael Moore, Arnold Schw - oh, wait.

[Razz]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Okay, I'll play. Living or dead?

Does God count as one or three?

[ March 21, 2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I have on authority from the maker of the thread that living or dead goes. Basically anyone you would like.

And as for other for the other question...

God really prefers to be considered as one. He is his own person, dangit!

The holy trinity however, is a different story.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...

Samuel Clemens
God
Stephen Jay Gould
Stephen Hawking
Charles Darwin

Mark Twain will moderate the discussion and keep conversation flowing.

God will basically be there to answer direct questions and laugh at my jokes -- I hope.

SJG will talk about modern biology
Hawking will talk about the theory of everything
and
Darwin will speak on the observational process in science.

And no-one leaves the room until I get some answers!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, wouldn't you be concerned that God would sit there with an all-knowing look and anticipate everyone's responses? You know, finishing off the sentence before the speaker has the chance? That's often a conversation stopper at dinner parties.

I think I like the rest of your guests, but I might be tempted to have Hal Holbrook and Sam Clemens sitting next to each other, just to be confusing. God came come to the next party. It'll be tea rather than dinner.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how good dead people are at conversation, never having spoken to a corpse. But at least they won't complain that the chicken is too dry.

Unless you're inviting God to take care of that.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Cosby
OSC
David Letterman
Judy Dench
Jackie Chan

[Smile]

If I was choosing dead people too, it would be a different list. Mr. Rogers would be there, of course.

edited: to avoid OOC.

[ March 21, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
G. K. Chesterton published an editorial in a London weekly which was essentially the transcript of a lunchtime conversation between himself, George Bernard Shaw, H. G. Wells, and Hilare Belloc (a fairly well known Minister of Paliament and author). Apparently this was a regular meal and any one of these would do nicely. I'd throw in Sam Clemens or Will Rogers for some good old-fashioned American wit.

Unfortunately the link page I found it on is broken at the moment so I can't find the actual essay. When I do, I'll link it here.

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy Carter
Johnny Cash
Herman Melleville
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Veronika Zemanova: to me, she is the most perfect woman in the world. She is beautiful and all I have of her is pictures, and pictures do not talk so therefore no arguments.

2) George Strait: Country music legend, The Man, whatever else I just plain like the guy.

3) Steve Yzerman: Captain of the Detroit Red Wings Hackey Team. He is one of my heros and would I would die happy after meeting him.

4) My Dad: My other Hero. If only I can be as good a man as him.

5) Cletus T. Judd: Country music parody singer. Someone has to tell jokes. Lord knows I'm not that funny.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Benjamin Franklin

2) Sir Francis Bacon

3) Franz Josef Tschurdi

4) Leonardo da Vinci

5) James Jesus Angleton

However, I am feeling a bit paranoid today. This list could change tomorrow...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know in Fight Club where they discuss who they would fight if they had a chance? Scythrop's list is pretty much right in line. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Harpo
Chico
Groucho
Dr. Seuss
John Lennon

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about Duran Duran.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Bill Clinton, because I've been in love with him since I was six and wrote him my first letter to a president. That, and he's a lovely conversationalist. I definitely heart his poor chubby little self. In addition, I find it wildly hilarious the hold that Senator Clinton has on him. *g*

2. Aaron Sorkin. Sports Night, The West Wing, The American President, A Few Good Men ... The man knows dialogue and is politically upthurupthur. I'd have a blast. I'd probably ask for help in the industry, also. [Big Grin]

3. Hillary Clinton, so I can pick her brain about '08, ask her about her voting trends (!!), and then watch as she and Bill either bicker, pretend to be fine, or both alternatively.

4. Richard M. Nixon. He's fascinating, and I would ask him how it felt to be rejected by the FBI not once but twice. Plus, I can talk to him about his choices, especially when he was working on certain presidential campaignes not his own! The guy is just insane! Which is neat.

5. Or Rosenstein. My friend in Israel who is an absolute genius and lovely and says "girl" like the British. She's witty and fun and makes one think, which is important. Plus, if she ever actually met any of the above ('specially #2) at my place, she'd probably marry me.

--Karen

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Alive? The following:

1. Leonard Cohen
2. Mimi Rogers
3. Jon Stewart
4. Noam Chomsky
5. David Brown

Dead or alive?

1. Leonardo DaVinci
2. Leonard Cohen
3. Sappho
4. Jon Stewart
5. David Brown

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like CT's way of dividing it up. I think I shall copy that. [Big Grin]

Alive:
1) Gwen Stefani
2) Conan O'Brien
3) Dennis Kucinich
4) Tina Fey
5) Ted Kennedy

Dead or alive:
1) Buddha
2) Jesus
3) Thomas Jefferson
4) Plato
5) Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

The problem with inviting Leonard Cohen is that he'd seduce all the other guests, and then depress the heck out of everyone.

But at least you'd get some songs written about the whole experience!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I would adore watching the seduction. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, five living people to a dinner party...

1. Kevin Smith (Silent Bob!)
2. Sam Raimi (Evil Dead!)
3. Joss Whedon (FireFly!)
4. Aaron Sorkin (Sports Night!)
5. Joe Quesada (All the Marvel comic book movies!)

hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't write this just after reorganizing my DVD collection.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelily
Member # 6298

- posted      Profile for angelily   Email angelily         Edit/Delete Post 
Alive:

1. God
2. The Devil

(I just want to see how they get along and to find out what their opinion on every topic I can possibly think of)

3. George W. Bush (the president actually; it just happens to be him right now)
4. Benjamin Franklin
5. Julius Caesar

(Can we increase the number of people we can invite to 10?)

[ March 22, 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: angelily ]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.