FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Impure Thoughts: A Regency Mafia

Author Topic: Impure Thoughts: A Regency Mafia
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
22 March, 1821

My Dear Sedgewick,

As I will be hosting a party of unusual proportions this summer, I request that you open the North Estate and prepare it for residency starting the first of August. We are expecting some dozen guests, and so a suitable number of bedrooms should be open and aired.

Of course, we will require in attendance a cook, a scullery maid, various manservants, a housekeeper, and you as my faithful butler. You are trusted to make the arrangements.

Given the number of Various and Diverse Entertainments that will be offered, I also request that you make ready several sets of fencing swords, an assortment of pickling spices and other poisons, the complete works of Keats and Shelley, three ducks, several large cucumber frames, and all the usual brouhaha. Oil the joints on the secret passageways, too, there's a good fellow.

Most -- or rather, all -- of the anticipated guests have, shall we say, Shady Pasts, and so I am overcome momentarily with an awareness of my own mortality. I fear I will not live e'en to cross the gates of my own estate, but we must soldier on. It is my hope that I live long enough to see the games begin.

Your Employer,
Lord Canterbury

Postscript: Be on watch for further missives as new complications arise. They will.

Carry on.

[ March 22, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, what a wonderfully circumvolutious way of letting Christy and Tom know that you're planning to visit!

(Shall we all refer to TomD as "Lord Canterbury" then?)

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]

(My visits to Tom and Christy usually don't involve death and dismemberment. Usually. Although, there's often food involved, and sometimes the preparation leads to mild bloodshed.

No, this is a circumlocuitous way of announcing a mafia game for later this summer. I'll run it my way, should I get any takers. My way means you devise your character, I assign you a Shady Past, and there will be certain clues you are required to reveal each turn as the story unfolds.

And a map. There will definitely be a map.

It will be fun. If there are no takers, then I'm going to write the story anyway. I've already started.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's in the summer, I'm totally in.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin] Awesome.

I am out of residency come July 1, and I essentially have the summer off, so there will be no time constraints for me. (Whee!)

I'll update this thread as I progress in setting up the story, but there's no need to commit in advance.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh My Goodness.

I'm SO in.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh Oooh! I was totally reading that and thinking to myself, "I hope this is for a mafia game".

I'm glad that you weren't completely turned off by your experience in Little House on the Prarie.

*Gets in line*

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Awww, you guys are so sweet.

No, for reasons to complicated to go into here, I was quite clearly not cut out to be a mafia game player. However, this does not preclude me from hosting my own story, and I was quite intrigued by the game I started playing.

The fact that I lost my mind briefly just made for a blip in pursuing that interest.

[Smile] Oh, how fun. We'll have a ball, and there will be special surprises and twists as we go. (*grining like a mad fool)

( [Wave] hi, jeniwren!)

[ March 22, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...sounds interesting. And I'll probably have some time to play this summer, even though I'll also be working. The professor I work for doesn't care if I use the internet at work. I think he figures I'll be more productive that way.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested. This will be my first mafia game.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, dear, I'd love to play, but since I have no idea where I'm going to be this summer, I'll have to hold out for now.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Since this is my first mafia game can somebody explain how this works? CT, this is a cool idea.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in... if someone will give me a run down on "mafia for dummies". I'm looking forward to my shady past already.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, somebody needs to start a mafia for dummies thread. Good idea imogen.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll play.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

This is cool. I definitely want to play.
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to drive together popular support for a lynching. I'm in.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll most likely play.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play if Slash plays.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
If the lovely CT is hostessing, then how could I help but attend!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like so much fun! July is right around the time where the summer gets boring, and all I feel like I ever do is go to work (except for last year when I didn't have a job, and then the boredom was even more complete). Perfect timing! [Big Grin] Count me in!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play but I suck at making characters.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Wow, I did not expect this much of a response. How cool. [Cool]

So far, the list of people who have expressed interest:

BannaOJ
blackwolve
Bokonon
Derrell
hansenj
imogen
Jacare
jeniwren
Jenny G
Jon Boy
(kwsni)
MEC
Narnia
pajeba
peterh
Raia
Shigosi
Teshi
(Trogdor)
T_Smith

That's nineteen people, including two which are very iffy. Awesome! (Trogdor, I doubt Slash will come, but I will reserve a spot for you anyway, just in case.) Guys, it's waaay too far away to commit yourselves, but I will save slots for y'all to have first refusal. That includes you, Becky, just in case you can make it. [Smile]

As it is now, I've written 20 roles, so this works out perfectly. Nice mix of men and women, too. I'm quite astonished as well as terribly flattered. Thanks for your interest and the vote of confidence. [Blushing]

I can always add or subtract persons within reason, but as this game will require a lot of hands-on work by the mod, I'm reluctant to go too high in numbers. It would be easy to write in any open slots as admin characters, so don't worry about dropping out when the time comes if need be.

As far as roles, I'll post some names and brief character sketches tonight* (~ 12 guests and 8 staff, all of whom are interesting characters), and you are welcome to claim any of those, modify them, or ask for other options. The Shady Pasts will be private and individualized, although you are invited to embellish your public personas as you see fit.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm so happy. This is so fun. I'm in the middle of devising a series of puzzles right now.

Thanks again, guys!

[Edit -- *make that tomorrow (Tuesday), as it was a busy night]

[ March 23, 2004, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

PS: I am new to mafia, too, and this will be my version of it. Don't worry about not having experience, as I'll prepare you well. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm around, I'm playing...

EDIT: Attack of the misplaced apostrophes...

[ March 22, 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Awesome, Teshi.

That makes twenty persons, so no more calls for reserving spots until closer to time, unless you just want to let me know interest. ( [Big Grin] I epected maybe three people to show interest. [Cool] ) People are bound to drop out for those pesky real life reasons, and I'll have a better sense of whether I can handle more characters as a mod by then.

[ March 22, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.