FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nominations, please. (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nominations, please.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
First Contact [Big Grin]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo. Gattaca! Nice!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't we wait until the Ender movie is out to have this poll?

I nominate 5th Element.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

First Contact
The Voyage Home

[Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
The Matrix, 12 Monkeys, and Contact (just plain contact).

Unless "Science Fiction" includes "fantasy" in which case it's The Fellowship of the Ring, hands down.

[ March 23, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Blade Runner?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark City
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Forbidden Planet
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Aliens
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised "Donnie Darko" hasn't showed up yet... I haven't seen it, but everyone I know says it's awesome...
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, and Buckaroo Bonzai...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Crash
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. You do seem to be interested.

Okay. Saturday, then.

And now random commentary on the thread itself.

OSC thought 12 Monkeys was the Greatest? Dang if that hasn't been my favorite SF since it came out! It's had some great competition too.

I had not heard of Star Crash, but now I gotta locate that B-bomb! That review really intrigued me.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with Alien, Aliens, or Alien 3.

At least, those are the only science-fiction movies I can watch over and over again and take them almost completely seriously.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The third Alien movie was a cancer on the colon of reality. No one who liked the first two is allowed to like the third, or the apocalypse immediately begins.

Repent, young one, before it's too late.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh! Does 'Back to the Future' count?
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably second Donnie Darko.

Hmmm... How about any of the Charleton Heston SF films: Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, or Omega Man? Definitely classic and, depending on your viewpoint, either awesome or so awful that they're awesome anyway.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

You guys got the best suggestions.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

A few more:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
King Kong

Any of the Godzilla films
Logan's Run
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Starman
E.T.

A couple that are open to debate as to whether they fit the category:
Doctor Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
(We already know Hobbes' opinion on this one.)

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

And we know mine. They will be included.

I think Fantasy will have to have it's own series, but these selections will also facilitate a series of Greatest B Movies.

Choices.

eslaine
Member # 5433

quote:
Shouldn't we wait until the Ender movie is out to have this poll?
--Dagonee

But we'll just have another one then so it can win. Or lose badly, depending on how it's actually made.

This is a tough crowd. [Big Grin]

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
They Live
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

[ March 23, 2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Zamphyr ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooh! Soylent Green!

How about War of the Worlds?

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate both the 1956 and 1978 versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and both the 1951 and 1982 versions of The Thing.

I would also like to second (or third or whatever) the nods for Alien and Aliens.

The Terminator movies also should be listed. Oh, and Silent Running should be up there as well.

And, on a personal note, Pitch Black because I said so. [Razz]

Can't think of anymore offhand. If I can, I'll be back. [Big Grin]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Matrix owns them all! I think.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I'm gonna say that, in my book, at least (no pun intended) Alien, Clockwork Orange, Donnie Darko, and a lot of other movies are superior to the Matrix, which I guess I consider to be an action flick.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Ghostbusters considered science fiction? 'Cause if it is, I nominate it.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm... I'm gonna say that, in my book, at least (no pun intended) Alien, Clockwork Orange, Donnie Darko, and a lot of other movies are superior to the Matrix, which I guess I consider to be an action flick.
Just because it's an action flick doesn't mean it's not a good movie. It has great dialog, great story and great acting. Plus, OSC says it's the best sci-fi movie ever. And I agree that it's ONE of the best.

I might agree with you though, that Clockwork Orange and Donnie Darko are better. I have yet to see any of the Alien movies.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
5th Element- Emphatic yes.

Blade Runner- I was disappointed, but only because I read the book first. It was okay, but not good enough to make the poll, I think.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the ones that haven't been mentioned, I'm most surprised by The Day The Earth Stood Still. It's a classic, and not just among sci-fi movies. Sure, it gets a little preachy at the end, but it's still one of the best movies of its era.

Other than that I should mention Terminator II and all the even-numbered Star Trek movies.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

RRR, good call!

Speed, examine my post from 8:50 PM yesterday evening. [Wink] Klaatu, barada, nikto!

[ March 24, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Batteries Not Included?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Slash, as I may have mentioned elsewhere, I actually saw Star Crash on it's first run... scary, eh?
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
You're the man, Saxon. [Smile]

[ March 24, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Forbidden Planet - Yes!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Batteries Not Included?
Please, please, please be kidding...
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I saw starcrash on first run as well, TAK. In a double feature with the Gil Gerard buck rogers movie.

Frisco, you are smoking crack. Blade Runner is probably one of the best Sci Fi movies ever made. You just have to think of it as a totally different story from the PKD book.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frisco, you are smoking crack.
That might explain why, about halfway through the movie, I always feel like getting up and doing something else.

I'm not even sure I've ever sat through it until the end. Is it true that she doesn't even throw his sheep off the building?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Total Recall? And I second Close Encounters.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, OSC says it's the best sci-fi movie ever.
Huh, I know that between 12 Monkeys and the Matrix, one was the best and the other was almost the best. I'm thinking he said 12 monkeys was the best. Edited in case my kids some day read this forum and somehow this thread is still around.

[ March 24, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: skrika03 ]

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I read through this thread accompanied by lots of oohs and ahhs - I agree with most of the ones above. If I had to pick just one it'd be Logans Run - I daydreamed about braking out with Logan for years after I saw this. My first intro to sci-fi.

No mention of the following which I think need including:

2001 A Space Odyssey, Quatermass series, Farenheit 451, Mad Max series (just for Mel - a girls gotta dream), Stargate (much better than the series); Barbarella (one of the worst and funniest movies ever

Worst ones ever include:

Robocop series, Event Horizon (one of the nastiest movies I had the displeasure of watching), Waterworld, Starship Troopers (I loved the book), A.I., Time Bandits

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

gotta disagree on Time Bandits... I love that one!
eslaine
Member # 5433

Hmmm.... Is Time Bandits Science Fiction or Fantasy? [Dont Know]
saxon75
Member # 4589

It's awesome is what it is.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Gigli.

Well, seriously now, what about Sphere? I'll nominate it, even though it really doesn't have a snowball's chance.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Oh my goodness, how could I have forgotten Tron?!
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
(If it counts) waterworld
5th Element
Galaxy quest

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Brazil
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Well, that's three Terry Gilliam nominations....
eslaine
Member # 5433

Nominations are closed, thank you for nominating.

There are over 50 entries here. I'll actually have to cull a few to round it out.

We have our list. The polls will begin appearing today on sakeriver forum. I will begin a new thread to track the poll.

Thanks again, Hatrack!

[ March 27, 2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.