FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anything Thread: the Next Generation

Author Topic: Anything Thread: the Next Generation
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the miscellaneous drawer of your kitchen, filled with odds and ends and leftover parts. [Smile]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night's dream made the leap from improbable to truly bizarre. In the middle of an intense mythic dream about the start of civilization, love and betrayal, transformation through cannibalism, and clan politics, I was told that should I need to stop time while running away from the madman, I could use the OdorEaters.

And then the dream was capped off by a roundtable discussion about its symbolism and implications in a postmodern (curses on you, Annie [Mad] ) era.

*still groggy and reeling

[ March 24, 2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an Imitrex night. [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yep. Better than the alternative, though.

This is why I hate falling asleep on overnight shifts, even if it is expected that we do so. (We have a little bitty bedroom. [Smile] ) I know that if there were an emergency, it would take me a few minutes to reorient myself.

But man, OdorEaters? This was gravely explained to me by the matron who oversaw the secret passageways between the walls, where only women were welcome.

(Even in my dreams, sndrake. [Wink] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Hatrack dream a couple of nights ago. As far as I can recall, this is how it panned out.

I was at a Hatrack gathering - and everyone was there. Except Katharina. And somehow, it was my job to find out what happened to her.

So I was running around asking everyone, but Dan Raven kept giving me cryptic answers that made me more confused then ever.

And then I woke up and thought 'Guess I'm spending a little too much time on the 'rack'.

Didn't stop me from getting up, getting online and checking what had happened overnight though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

To our benefit, imogen.
imogen
Member # 5485

Awww.

Of course, you (and Rivka - I'm too scared not to mention her individually now) were in the dream, but weren't being difficult.

It was just that Dan Raven - which has no rational basis. I don't think I've ever disagreed with one of his posts. So it must be some weird aspect of my subconscious.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* CT, you should write a book of your dreams. At least keep a journal.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Christy, the OdorEaters came with special effects. When I'd use them (say, to get through a door and lock it behind me), there was a vibratory schwom-schwom-schwooom noise, flashes of sparkly light, and then everything went black-and-white until the OdorEaters wore off and time started up again.

I love my dreams. I never had trouble with going to bed as a child. [Smile]

Even more importantly, though, I was the only person in the subsequent roundtable discussion who could identify the specific Native American symbolism in the preceding dream. The matron of the walls said that "most people don't recognize it."

*very proud
[Wink]

[ March 24, 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

imogen
Member # 5485

An overachiever... even in her dreams.

[Smile]

A slight alteration...

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this! This is so exciting - I think that's only the third Hatrack dream in which I've made an appearance. Or non-appearance, as the case may be.

Imogen, it is definitely to our benefit that you post on Hatrack. I wonder if that makes us all enablers to each other's addictions.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

imogen, it was my superego stroking my ego.

Maybe I just need more attention in my waking life. If I don't get enough strokes, then I'll give them to myself.

Healthy enough, I guess, although somewhat pathetic.

Kat, you were specifically in my dream too, although you were the mate of the young turk who was overthrowing me and my mate from our positions at the head of the clan. You ate my living flesh! [Eek!]

Although this did permit me to transform into a mist-phoenix, so I suppose I should thank you. [Cool]

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
you were the mate of the young turk who was overthrowing me and my mate from our positions at the head of the clan. You ate my living flesh!
Oh my stars!!

<beat>

Was the Turk cute?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Uh, from what I've heard about him, yes.

[Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

[Razz]

(Sorry about the living flesh thing. Maybe I needed iron?)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oddly enough, I was quite conscious of putting myself into God's hands during the torture, and I was quite aware of the casting of a veil between me and the pain of being consumed.

Very strong mythic and religious overtones. However, I am not amused by your uppitiness, young woman. [Mad] Cannibalism is no longer an appropriate means of advancing in society.

katharina
Member # 827

[Angst]

*slides "How to Cook People" book into the desk drawer for later*

----

I'd never think that. It must have been the caffeine from diet (not! caffeine-free) Dr. Pepper. Last time I believe Zevlag when he gets me a drink.

knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Feyd appears in my dreams at least once a month.

Last night, I was in a pet store talking some bastardized chinese to the owner. Feyd comes in with a kid, and starts looking at the fish. I talk to him in the weirdo chinese, and then go to look at the fish. I'm in the process of picking out some replacements for my clown loaches when I see that feyd has stuck a hose into the iguana tank, and it's drowned. Then feyd just walks out, like nothing happened.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Me? Cryptic? Frustrating?

Must be the Raven in me.

I'm just happy that there is at least one female (other than my wife) who dreams of me.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

katharina: She Looks So Innocent

[No No]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I dreamed last night that I was trying to get home, and there were longhorn cattle everywhere. They were blocking roads, they were fighting each other, and they were chasing down and killing people! [Angst]

They were definitely longhorns, had the curved big horns that you see on the front of Texas cadillacs. There was blood splashing on my windows from where they had impaled some poor guy. No one I knew.

I was travelling on the roads between the interstate and my house, and my only thought was "Gee, I wish these cows would move so I can get home faster." I didn't feel (in the dream) any horror at the murderous cattle. I was just annoyed that they were bothering me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
I didn't feel (in the dream) any horror at the murderous cattle. I was just annoyed that they were bothering me.
Belle: She Looks So Innocent

[No No]

[Big Grin] [Wink]

Belle
Member # 2314

Anything thread announement - a girlfriend called and invited me to go out tonight and eat dinner and see a movie with her and two other friends I haven't seen in a couple years!

We all have kids, and getting together is hard and my girlfriend and I live on the opposite side of Birmingham from the other two, so the four of us don't get together all that often.

I'm just psyched that I get to take a shower, put on makeup, get dressed, and eat dinner without asking what non-carbonated drinks I can get in a sippy cup. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Cool. Perhaps you should wear a little purple. [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

Oh! Is that poem the source for the Red Hat Society? A lady I work with requested that we dress in a red hat and in purple in celebration of her birthday.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::spies the copy of Chicken Soup for the Flame-Broiled-Human-Flesh Lover's Soul peeking out from kat's backpack, backs away slowly::

CT, what a fun dream! You know, my dreams are almost always positive and entertaining too; I actively look forward to dreaming each night. The other day I was talking to a relatively new friend of mine about dreams, and he related that every night, his dreams were unplesant--at best unsettling, and at worst terrifying. I don't know how I'd be able to make myself go to sleep at night if I had that to look forward to.

[ March 24, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Are you saying I'm an old woman! [Angst]

I'm younger than you, Missy!

katharina
Member # 827

I think she meant these lines:
quote:
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

[Smile]
quote:
::spies the copy of Chicken Soup for the Flame Broiled Human Flesh Lover's Soul peeking out from kat's backpack, backs away slowly::

[ROFL] [ROFL]

You're just upset because you lost your copy of Chicken Soup for the Wrestler/Kibachi Soux Chef's Soul at the last Quilt Convention.

[ March 24, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Belle
Member # 2314

She'd better have meant that. [No No]

[Wink]

[Kiss] (((CT)))

I actually quite love purple. [Smile]

Yes, Kat it is the source for the Red Hat Society.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
My dreams vary, but I usually always dream.

Last night I dreamt about pregnant men [Eek!] ; meeting Icarus at DisneyWorld; visiting the house that I lived in after I was born (though it really wasn't the house); and getting married to a 40-something woman that was infatuated with me, and scared the bajeebes out of me.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yes, katharina, indeed it is. The poem has been a favorite of mine since I was introduced to it by a very special English intructor in college.

Noemon: yeah, I love dreaming. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to go to bed some nights. I also love the sense of inevitability -- now I am sliding under into sleep, and I couldn't stop it even if I tried. Yum. Bliss. [Smile]

Being able to sleep every single night is going to be the best part of finishing residency. I can hardly wait!

Belle
Member # 2314

There's a quilters group called the REd Hat quilters, and you're invited to come quilt with them if you wear purple and your red hat.

If you're not an old woman, then you are requested to wear lavendar and pink. [Big Grin]

Of course, you decide whether you're an old woman or not.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, good grief, no, Belle!

It was the practicing part I meant. [Kiss] Because you are very upright and responsible, so when you do earn the Age of Eccentricity, people better be ready for the shocker. 'Cause you've got a real firecracker buried under that respectible exterior. [Smile]

(I caught a glimpse of her before, y'know. Or do we need to bring up those parts of WenchCon which cannot be discussed again? [Big Grin] )

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Nathan no longer has his bajeebes? [Angst]

Scandalous.

Cover yourself, young man!

Belle
Member # 2314

LOL

You know, it's funny, my therapist and I were talking yesterday and we were discussing my future, when mothering is no longer such a constant demand. Because, while I'll still be a Mom, I won't be investing the sheer number of hours that I do now in two another year, after the twins start regular school.

Her thought was "Watch out! World! She will be loosed!" [Big Grin]

She and I have come to talk about "seasons of life" and right now I'm in my mothering season. The twins are little enough to need a lot of me, and so in this season there is little room for dedication to anything else, with the sheer demands the little ones make on my time, and with the need to still mother my older ones and be a wife and take care of a household, my allotment of time and dedication is all used up.

The next season will begin with their transition into the "school season" of their lives, when they won't need a mother less - but they'll need her presence less of the time. Which will free me to work on other things.

NOw, I have two and a half years or so to decide what those other things will be.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Fine, but isn't there any bajeebeless beaches I can visit sometime?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

My post made no sense.

Nathan, yes, but none within the territorial confines of the United States. You can go there, but you do so without the protections of the Bill of Rights. Up to you.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

T, we don't discuss such places in respectable company. Sheesh.

(Kids these days. [Roll Eyes] Next thing you know, he'll be talking about the chicken.)

Belle, I have every intention of being absolutely outrageous someday. This allows me to savor my own current repressiveness to its fullest extent. [Big Grin]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:
T, we don't discuss such places in respectable company. Sheesh.
I know, thats why I'm discussing it now.
katharina
Member # 827

*sigh* Okay, this is the eating living flesh part. I'm so sorry.

Something about the connection between the poem and the Red Hat Society was bugging me, and I finally figured it what it is, and also why I never thought that the Red Hat Society could have come from the poem.

Isn't an ode to non-conformity? Setting aside the conventions of society to wear whatever you want, do whatever you want without worrying about fitting in or setting a good example or basically letting anyone else tell you what to do? It isn't the wearing of purple that is essential, it's the wearing of whatever makes you happy.

If it is, how does that match with making a society of non-conformists, where you have to wear a certain uniform to play?

</poetry review>

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]

Excuse me, I am enjoying being repressed here. Permit me to hike up my garters while I lace the corset just a little tighter.

Ahhhh, that's better.

*falls over from a fit of the vapors

[ March 24, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

[ROFL]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

katharina, I always thought of that part of it as being a tongue-in-cheek self-referential joke (wink, wink, gotta wear the Red Hat). However, I am partial to self-referential in-jokes, so I tend to see them everywhere.

I would not be surprised if I were wrong.

In fact, I might even be due for a spanking.

[Eek!]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(and Rivka - I'm too scared not to mention her individually now)
*rubs hands together gleefully* Exxx-cellent.

quote:
were in the dream, but weren't being difficult.

Then it definitely wasn't me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(I have been stroking my own ego a lot lately. [Big Grin] )
katharina
Member # 827

CT: As long as it's not...<never mind> [Blushing]

I suspect the name of the society might have originally been ironic, but it lost ALL irony by the time it made it to the Boy Scouts. I was roundly chastised for not wearing a Red Hat on that day. Heh.

Belle
Member # 2314

Where's Papa Moose?

Kat, I agree wholeheartedly and I personally have seen the Red Hat thing degenerate into snobbery in some cases.

I don't like wearing hats. Maybe I'll write a poem about the not wearing of hats and invite everyone to join my hatless society.

then of course, the non-conformists would WEAR hats, and the name Society of Ladies Who Don't Wear Hats would be meaningless.

So, I guess it's all pointless.

katharina
Member # 827

Or just join a society where it doesn't matter what you're wearing.

Or if you're wearing anything at all. [Razz]

Added: *sigh* I wasn't trying to kill the thread. I was trying to do CT's self-referential thing and refer to Hatrack. *goes back to studying in preparation for takeover*

[ March 24, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to watch The Wonder Years.

Whaaaaat would you dooooo.... if I sang out of tuuuuuune..... would you stand up and walk out on meeeeeeee?

Sigh. Nostalgia for a time when I wasn't even alive.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and also!

I just found the finishing touch to my office decorations today, a poster commemorating, among other things, the 20th anniversary of the Mac.

http://ayelar.audiferous.com/archives/officeagain.jpg

I'm so proud! Also in my office, though not in the picture, is a Think Different poster (Jim Henson) and two framed stills from Billy's Balloon. And a Trogdor decal on my door.

I love my office! [Big Grin]

Edit: *looks at picture again* Oh wait, you can see the Billy's Ballon prints!

[ March 27, 2004, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Me? Cryptic? Frustrating?

Must be the Raven in me.

Quoth the Raven, Nevermore. [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.