FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can anybody recommend a good free HTML editor?

Author Topic: Can anybody recommend a good free HTML editor?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the deal: I absolutely love Dreamweaver, but I'm too poor to buy it right now (not even the academic version, which is only ninety-something dollars). However, I know only some pretty basic HTML, so I can't really code by hand very well. Does anybody know of a free HTML editor that's at all comparable to Dreamweaver? Does such a thing even exist?

Oh, and while I'm talking about web sites and such, I'll stick in a little shameless self-promotion. I'm finally starting to upload some (more) of my artwork, so go take a look. Constructive feedback is always welcome, of course.

[ March 24, 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

Not that I stand behind any of them.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you consider the idea of going for an open-source CMS or Portal System? If your primary aim is to display your artwork, a bit of personal info and a blog-like thing, then something like www.postnuke.com or www.mamboserver.com would probably suit you a lot better. Rather than having to come up with your own designs and HTML you can just choose a theme and start adding content. Additionally, if you decide that you do want to mess around with the visuals, it's usually not too hard to figure out how.

I'm in the process of switching to Mambo, but my old PostNuke test-site is still available here: www.thinksync.com.au/main - but not for much longer.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I like CuteHTML. The new version isn't free, but I could send you a copy of the older freeware version.

I think you can get a fully functional 30 day trial version from the website.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Oh, jeez... never, never, never use any nuke software. The best CMS, hands down, is Drupal. However, one must read the documentation to get it working properly. The good news is that the documentation is extensive, and the support mailing lists are second to none. It's easily skinnable and is less cookie-cutter looking than any nuke out there.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I've tried CuteHTML before and didn't like it. I seem to remember that a friend of mine once recommended 1st Page (of course, now he uses Dreamweaver, too), so I think I'll go try that. I think I'll try Mambo and PostNuke, too.

Edit: Okay, maybe I won't use PostNuke. What don't you like about it, John?

[ March 24, 2004, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Notepad.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Primal Curve.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
You both beat me to it.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

All of the various nukes are slow, because the coding in them is redundant and not always the most effective. On top of that, it's a pain in the rear to "skin," and the available skins for it look like ass (the ugly, pimply kind).

And notepad is a bad idea for a text HTML editor. Textpad is way better, and actually has configurable tag lists that you can save your most common tags and commands to. The eval version has a nag screen every now and again, but is otherwise just fine. Notepad isn't even a "true" text editor.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
True, he did specify a good one...
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Don't get me wrong, notepad is fine for editing text inside of Windows Explorer, but it is not an actual text editor. You can tell when you open a txt file from a "true" text editor in notepad, which displays the text, line breaks, and some characters are not properly displayed. This creates problems sometimes when trying to translate something to an HTML or other language's files (like PHP).
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Bluefish.

Except that doesn't run on Windows.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.editplus.com/ looks good, and so does http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ .

Yeah, Drupal is a great CMS, though I rarely use one (even Drupal sites have a certain look about them, though its not nearly as bad as Nuke sites).

And the API for Drupal is really, really elegant, which is a plus for programmers extending it [Big Grin] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Next stupid question: What's a nuke?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.