FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wanted: chocolate chip cookie recipe

Author Topic: Wanted: chocolate chip cookie recipe
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a good one. My favorite recipe has oatmeal in it, which Jon Boy isn't a huge fan of. I want a recipe for a cookie that both of us will love.

Here is what makes a good cookie (in my opinion):

1. butter, not shortening
2. a mixture of brown and white sugars
3. the ability to stay soft and moist even after cooling
4. After baking, the cookies should be somewhat flattened, but not pancakes.
5. richness of flavor

Do you have a recipe that fits the bill? I don't want to try a whole bunch of cookie recipes that aren't good before finally coming across one that is. Please help, Hatrack!

[ March 26, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I always found the recipe on Tollhouse chips met all these criteria. I always replace the vanilla with almond extract.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of great recipes that I make for my wife. One uses oats and one does not. I don't have them with me, but I'll try to post later.

But what I wanted to say was that I understand why you specify butter instead of shortening. The taste is better. However, the consistency of the cookie is tough to get right. It can easily get too crispy, or melt too flat. So to solve this problem I always use butter flavored Crisco. With this, you get the best of both worlds.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a recipe that uses honey.
You are making me want to make a half a batch of cookies or something...
*Tries to talk myself out of it*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you happen to have a bag? I don't buy Tollhouse, and I'd like to make some cookies today.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, use Gharidelli (sp) chips instead of Tollhouse.
You'll thank me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Ghirardelli is what I always use. My wife is a chocolate snob, so Nestle and such are out.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Ghirardelli chips are the best, hands down. They also used to be $.99. Alas, 'tis no more.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What Ruth isn't saying is that even though I have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe, she doesn't like it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

That's because it doesn't meet my requirements, silly. [Roll Eyes]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Double Chocolate Dream Cookies. Mmmmm....

::remembers::

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to see if I can find my chocolate chip recipe (I don't make them very often, because I just don't really like chocolate chip cookies). My boss' wife makes the absolute best cookies. She says that he secret is to use more flour than most recipes usually call for (another cup, at least - enough so the dough isn't sticky) to help to keep the cookies from going flat, and a ton more vanilla (a couple tablespoons) - which makes the flavor better and helps them to stay soft and not turn into little hockey-pucks (probably the biggest thing I dislike about chocolate chip cookies). I know that another trick for making soft cookies (that stay soft) is to cook them at a lower temperature (like 300 instead of 350) for a longer. Always let your cookies rest for 2-5 minutes on their pan before you remove them to a rack so the soft cookies have a chance to firm up.

I third the recommendation to use Ghiradelli chips (or at least use a semi-sweet chip - not a milk chocolate chip).

[ March 26, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you happen to have a bag? I don't buy Tollhouse, and I'd like to make some cookies today.
Here you go. Remember, replace the vanilla with almond extract (real, not imitation). Real butter is better than margarine, and sometimes I use half butter, half shortening to soften them up.

Watch them closely - pull them out before they're crisp for the consistency you want.
Original Nestlé Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ghirardelli DOUBLE CHOCOLATE chips are the best. When they are in stock, you can get them for $1.59 at Trader Joes.

I say, it HAS to be real butter. Crisco just should not be.

Here's my recipe:

2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup dutched cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened, NOT melted! ( this is the secret to consistency)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cupo granulated sugar
2 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla
1 bag Ghirardelli double chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together ingredients, you can be a stickler and mix wet and dry in seperate bowls, add alternatley..but hey, I have a life, AND I usually do the dishes, so I throw it all in one bowl and beat the Hades out opf them with a wooden spoon. Better than therapy. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets, bake about 10 minutes. Enjoy!

[ March 26, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Mmmmm.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ludosti, you just gave away MY cookie making secrets.

The ones I brought to the bunching weren't my best, I don't think I went nuts on the vanilla like I should have.

Another thing about vanilla. Find a way to get the real stuff from mexico. If you are in AZ, you can go to a Food City store and they have Molina brand from Mexico, which is my personal choice.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Another trick I use (by order of my wife, the connoisseur) is to slightly undercook the cookies. My Mom and Grandma always overcooked, so I never really knew what a soft, moist cookie was until my wife made me take the cookies out about 1 full minute before what the recipe called for. You can tell they're ready when you can just barely see a golden-brown color at the highest points of the cookies. If that color spreads further, it's baked too much.
ludosti
Member # 1772

peterh - Sorry to give away your secrets! [Angst] I guess that explains why I liked your cookies though - you did them right! [Big Grin]

And yes, real vanilla is the best!

[ March 26, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to put in a bit of whole wheat. Never more than half of the flour, but it gives the cookies a wholesome, nutty flavor.

(ludosti, thanks for the tips! I will be trying those out.)

[ March 26, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Continue making your cookies the way you like them.
Only let Jon Boy have cookies once a year, and those cookies will be these cookies.

He'll fall into line.

Changing someone is all about patience [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
apparently they weren't really my secrets to begin with. My mom is always very liberal with her recipe secrets. She figures everyone should be able to make and eat good food.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Your mom sounds great! I think it's awful when people won't share their recipes or secrets (knowledge hogs!).

[ March 26, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been having trouble with flat cookies since we bought air-bake pans. Anyone know why this might be? I used to add extra flour and sugar to my dough (don't remember the exact amounts now) and made these awesome cookies that were almost scone-like. However, even this recipe falls flat on the air-bake pans. Ludosti mentioned a lower temperature, I'll have to try that next time.

Brinestone, I also like to use oatmeal and even cinnamon sometimes in my cookies. [Smile]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook has a very good recipe.

They use half butter and half shortening/margarine.

Squishy, even later.

Both brown and white sugars.

They flatten out a bit.

And man, do they ever taste good.

I'mnot sure if I'ma llowed to post a recipe from a copyrighted cookbook though. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Continue making your cookies the way you like them.
Only let Jon Boy have cookies once a year, and those cookies will be these cookies.

He'll fall into line.

Changing someone is all about patience.

Um, who are we talking about here? Jon Boy is the coolest person on this forum. It's clear he should have all the cookies he wants.
Further, you should feel lucky that he chooses to grace us with his insightful comments and uproarious jokes.

All hail, Jon Boy!

[ March 26, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the recipe based on the one that came with my Kitchenaid mixer. If you like it, it's really easy to remember too.:

1 cup butter (room temp is good)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
"cream" together
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (large is best)
stir in

in a separate container combine:
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
stir into wet ingredients gradually
add your bag of chips

bake at 375 for 12-16 minutes, watch and bring them out as soon as they've all fallen.

up to 1/4 cup extra flour may help them not to spread too crazy if you are at a high altitude.
Edit: the applesauce replacement for butter works well for oatmeal, but not for chocolate chip. At least not with the additional flour. They came out really cakey this time.

A slice of bread with cooled cookies helps soften them.

My husband is a committed dough eater, and he says this is the best tasting dough.

[ March 28, 2004, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: skrika03 ]

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the cookie recipe from the Silk box to be quite gooilicious. But it's got an insane proportion of butter and sugar to other ingredients. Also, my inlaws have taken to shaping the dough into "towers" to produce the desired effect. But they really are like Soft Batch brand cookies, except not so manufactured-tasting.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Um, who are we talking about here? Have you ever actually tried to have a conversation with Jon Boy? You're lucky if you can get him to pay attention to what you actually say without going into fits about your grammar.
[Mad] That's it, Storm. You're going DOWN.

Addendum: Et tu, Storm? I defended your pronunciation of "crepe." Such betrayal . . .

[ March 26, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*hangs head in shame*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Is better?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one of my faves, a recipe from my grandma's church ladies' cookbook:

Italian Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 lb. margarine or butter
1 lb. Ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 Tbsp. vanilla
4 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 large bag choc. chips

Beat butter & sugar til fluffy. Add eggs & cheese, mix well. Add dry ingredients, mix well, then add chips. Drop on greased cookie sheet, bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 min. Yield 5 doz.

I use butter and cottage cheese. Cottage cheese works fine -- I've actually never tried using Ricotta since it's more expensive...

Anyway, this is a GREAT recipe. It's especially good if you refrigerate the cookies after they're baked -- biting into a cool, moist cookie and chomping on a cool chunk of chocolate... [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Mmmm, I haven't made these in a long time, and we've got some cottage cheese around... [Smile]

(I accidentally used buckwheat flour once -- that actually made for a pretty interesting variation!)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Is better?
ˇBueno!
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Those Double Chocolate Dream Cookies are just heavenly, aren't they Nathan? We found that recipe on the side of a Toll House bag of chocolate chips. I'm always in the mood to make a batch if you're ever in the need of a chocolate fix. [Wink]

Ruth, my roommate is from Hershey, Pennsylvania, and she used to work for them. She managed to get their recipe for chocolate cookies, and they are absolutely perfect in my opinion. Only problem is it breaks your rule for no shortening. The cookies are so good though! I have to ask my roommate if it would be ok to share the recipe, but if you'd be willing to try shortening I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with this recipe. I never thought I'd prefer a recipe that had shortening in it over one with butter, but I do. Let me know if you'd like me to email you either of these two recipes. (Chocolate Dream Cookies don't fit the traditional chocolate chip cookie category, but it's a good recipe to have around. [Wink] )

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*prefers butter*
Suddenly I wish to be mailed cookies... [Big Grin]

MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I chop ScharffenBerger unsweetened chocolate into chunks and add it to my cookies, along with freshly roasted hazelnuts or some fresh pecans from my parents' pecan trees. Their unsweetened chocolate is so mild you can almost eat it straight.

Also try using Horizon Organic butter or a European butter like Lurpac. The flavor is so much better than the tasteless store brands.

It costs a little more, but then I have all my co-workers wrapped around my little finger. [Evil Laugh]

I recommend The Best Recipe as a place to start. Cook's Illustrated magazine has a test kitchen where they make every possible version of a recipe, then pick the best one(s) to include in the book. Very Cool. [Cool]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.