FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Recipes.

Author Topic: Favorite Recipes.
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probly going to be living someplace where i actually can cook next semester, and I LOVE to cook, but i don't have a cookbook, or money to buy one at the moment.

I've also been slowly compiling a list of random recipies people have posted, but there aren't enough.

So, what are your favorite recipies?

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
There were a few good ones in my Annie's Cocina thread. Did you get those already?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe not.
::goes to dig it up::

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Try epicurious . They are a source of endless recipes!

What, specifically, do you like to cook? I have a limited but tasty repetoire.

Here's my dinner basic

Combine in large saucepan:
2 sups brown rice
1 28 oz can diced tomatos
3 bomeless skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water, if needed
2-5 cloves garlic, crushed

Now, customize

Arroz con pollo, add;
2-3 diced jalepenos
1-2 tsp cumim
Serve with:
tortillas, cheddar or jack, and yummy homemade refritos frijoles

Chicken masala, add
1 TBL garam masala
1/2 cup yellow split peas (chana dal)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (add at end of cooking)
serve with naan

Pollo alla Romano, add,
1 each diced red and yellow peppers
1 cup cannelini beans
2 tsp oregeno
red pepper flakes, if desired

serve with crostini and a salad.

Edited to add that cooking time for all is 45 minutes

[ March 26, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a simple one that I do that's been popular on my floor:

salt
pepper
soy sauce
cooking oil (i like using canola because it's healthier)
your choice of spices (i use basil heavily)

Ground beef/pork/chicken (whatever you like
several cloves of garlic (your choice)
1-2: green onions
salad mix
2 eggs
"bowl" of cooked white rice (I like using calrose rice, you can use medium grain, I hate long grain rice with an undying passion)

slice the garlic into smallish peices
chop the green onions to peices about an inch long
beat the eggs with a smidgen of salt (note that the ammount of anything you use is based upon your tastes)

Put a bit of oil in the pan heat it on high (don't worry about putting too much -but don't be too liberal- most of the oil burns away in the beginning anyways) put a little bit of soy sauce in with the oil, mix it with the oil. throw the garlic into the soy sauce/oil mixture.
When the oil starts cackling lightly keep stiring the garlic so it turns brownish, throw in a smidge of salt now, and throw in the green onions around this time.
When the oil really starts sizzling throw in the ground meat (of your choice) and keep moving it with the spatula (breaking it into small pieces). (put in a bit of pepper, as well as some of the herbs you want.
When the meat is mostly cooked add the vegetables (yet again, depending on how much you want) usually I add a little water, lower the heat to half. Add a little more soy sauce and herbs.
Keep stiring everything for until most of the water boils off, when the water is almost completely gone.
Pour the eggs in and turn the burner back up to high. Now you have to keep flipping all the food, so nothing sticks. The eggs will cook rather quickly, and when they're almost done (but still slightly watery) throw the rice in (and a final bit of soy sauce along with herbs) and continue mixing everything (keep it moving so nothing sticks). Keep doing this for a couple minutes and you're done! warning: use a teflon coated pan, otherwise it'll stick.

Overall, this probably takes about 10-20 minutes, depending on how hot and urgent you are (assuming that the rice is ready). If you want, or are lazy you can either add or substitute the ground meat with chopped hot dogs.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Best milkshake ever-
Breyer's ice cream
ghiradelli chocolate chips
" cocoa powder
milk
Melt the chips, use about... one or 2 tablespoons
put milk and ice cream in a blender with some cocoa powder, as you blend on shake or whip add the melted chips.
blend
then pour in a glass with some nice whipped cream, extra creamy.
enjoy

then there is pasta to consider...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're interested at all in crockpot or slow cooker cooking, I've got 550 recipes in a Word file I can email you.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

Adrian, I'm mostly interested in the things hatrackers love to cook, and since i don't have a crockpot, those wouldn't do me much good. I'll ask you if i need them, though.

Ni!

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple simple recipes that me and my roomie like.

Paul's Sloppy Joes.
Saute in olive oil, 1 tbl minced garlic, 1 green pepper, diced, 1 medium sweet onion, diced, fresh thyme leaves, salt, pepper.
Cook about 5 minutes, remove from heat, brown 1.25 lbs ground beef. Add pepper mixture, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup bbq sauce, 1 tbl worchestershire sauce, simmer for 5 minutes.

Basil Chicken-
Mix 3 tbl olive oil, 1 tbl lemon juice, fresh basil (use a lot of basil, go light on the rest of the seasonings), and any of thyme, marjoram, sage, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat in a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 lbs thin sliced chicken, either breast or thigh, cover and simmer.

Simple pot roast.
In a large heavy pot, melt three tbs butter, brown a 3 lbs bottom round rump roast on all sides in the butter. (Bottom round rump is the back end of the whole bottom round. It tapers to a narrow end. This is my favorite cut for a solid pot roast. If you like your pot roast to fall apart, use chuck). After the meat is browned, take out the meat. Add carrots, celery, onion, all chopped fine, and 1 1/2 cups beef stock (or use wine, or water, or chicken stock for different flavors), add about 1 tbl parsley. Bring to a boil, and then drop the temperature back so the liquid comes to a slow simmer. Add the meat, and cook about two hours.

Tips for the pot roast- Make sure your liquid doesn't all evaporate. Also, make sure the meat is not in the liquid while it is boiling. If meat is immersed in boiling water, it toughens up instantly. It will still taste fine, but won't be as tender.

Those are some pretty basic recipes that will make good meals. I have a whole slew of simple things I like to cook, but right now, those are my favorites.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a recipe that I found and modified, and it's my wife's favorite breakfast. Add a sausage link and some orange juice, and it's ideal for a breakfast-in-bed surprise.

Banana Nut Waffles (Recipe Book Part):

2 Cups Bisquick
1 Cup Mashed Bananas (2 medium bananas)
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
2 Tablespoons Oil (recipe says "vegetable", I like olive oil)
1 Egg

Heat waffle baker. Beat baking mix, bananas, milk, walnuts, oil and egg with wire whisk until well blended. Pour about 2/3 cup batter across center of hot waffle baker. Remove when done.

My Modification

Instead of syrup, top with cherry pie filling (which is really just cherry flavored syrup). Then add spoonfuls of diced mixed fresh fruit (apples, pears, oranges, grapes, berries, or whatever you like) and put a bit of whipped cream on top. Eat until you're sick. *drools*

[ January 15, 2005, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard's Amazingly Yummy Homemade Curry

What you need:
Note that I don't include measurements, because I believe measurments are to personal discression
  • Rice (duh, usually figure about 3/4 cups per person)
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes (I love using the little red ones)
  • Onions (my personal preference is pearl onions, though they cost more)
  • As many herbs and spices as you can get requires ones include: ginger (or powder), garlic, green onions, as many different types of ground pepper as you can muster.
  • Water (or some sort of broth, depending upon your taste)
  • Some sort of meat, if you use chicken, I suggest chicken thighs in adverse to breasts, they're more tender.
  • Anything else you think might go well, remember a curry is a wonderful mess of flavors, so make it a good mess. Some people like putting broccolli or bell peppers in their curry.
  • Curry Powder, generally any store bought curry powder works well.
  • Soy Sauce (Some teriyaki sauce is optional)
  • Cooking Wine (optional)
  • Salt
  • Sugar (very little, even a few packets you stole from a fast food resturant would be enough)
  • Flour and/or Corn Starch
The following recipe uses chicken thighs, but you can use whatever you want.
Preperation:
First you want to marinate the chicken, I usually do it the night before for convenience, you can do the morning of or whatever, just give it "sufficient" time (whatever you consider sufficient).
I use soy sauce a bit teriyaki sauce, a very small amount of cooking wine (I suggest 3/4 of whatever you're using and 1/4 water...you don't want it to be too strong otherwise it'll overpower the curry), and rub a bit of salt and sugar into the chicken. I like to use some basil and oregano as well. DON'T REMOVE ANY OF THE FAT, it is vitally important for the taste and consistancy of the curry, there really isn't too much.
Make sure you don't go overboard on the marinade because its going to be the base flavor for your entire curry.

Cooking:
Cut all your Vegetables and onions into half-inch to one-inch cubes.
Start boiling water (or a half broth half water mix, if you're only using water I suggest pouring some of the marinade from the chicken in to give it a base flavor) in a pot that will be large enough to fit everything, remember don't use too much your curry is supposed to be thick. Once it starts boiling, throw the veggies in, and turn the heat to medium-high
While it's heating up chop your green onions into 1/4ths smash a vew cloves of garlic and a few of the lighter herbs, heat up the oil in your pan, don't use too much, the fat from the chicken will keep your pan oiled. Cook the chicken until done, let it brown, even let it burn a little you won't notice. As you cook, use the marinade sauce to keep the chicken moist as it cooks. (safety caution: WEAR LONG SLEAVES, the oil will be sputtering a bit, if it does pour a very tiny bit of water or marinade to cool it a little).

Once the chicken is done, slice it against the grain of the meat in strips about half-inch thick, your soup should be about boiling by now. Put the chicken in, it should still be boiling lightly, put the curry powder in along with any other herbs. Let it simmer. This is where you keep tasting it till you get it to how you want, not it'll still be watery.

To thicken the curry you do the exact same thing as thickening a gravy, if you use corn starch, mix the corn starch with water in a seperate bowl first, if you use flour, slowly sprinkle it in and constantly stir to keep an even consistancy, remember just like a gravy it'll thicken more as it cools.

Finishing Up
EAT!

End notes:
The first time you do this it'll probably take about an hour and a half because you'll be experimenting, by the second time it'll be a whole lot faster because you know roughly what to do.

Bernard's really fast curry crossants:

What You Need:
  • Curry Powder
  • Soy Sauce
  • Corn Starch
  • Pepper, salt, and a few select herbs
  • Ground Meat
  • Carrots- chopped very finely
  • Onions- chopped very finely
  • One of those Pillsberry Cressant pack thingies
  • An oven
The Curry Sauce:Premix in a bowl the curry powder, spices, herbs, and corn starch to your taste, then add soy sauce and water to make it a paste.

The Veggies
Stir fry the Onions and Carrots until they're soft
(You may want to preheat the oven about now)

The Meat and Putting it together
Cook the meat, think taco meat, no large chuncks of meat, once its done put the veggies in mix them well and pour the curry sauce in, mix them well. You don't want any soupyness because it's getting put into the crossant. Roll the curry meat/veggies (you could probably do a veggie curry as well) into the crossants and cook as directed, it won't matter too much if when you roll it into the that parts of the curry stick out of the sides because the crossant will expand as it bakes. The first (and only) time I did this it took about 15 minutes (not including the chopping) plus the time to bake, and they make great small snacks, even cold.

Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'm very intersted, if you feel like sharing.

eaquaelegit AT yahoo DOT ca

[ January 15, 2005, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'd like it, too.

descolada11 AT hotmail DOT com.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'd adore that, I just got a 5 qt crock pot!!

cymoril3 at yahoo dot com

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really weird to have a thread resurrected that you don't remember posting.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was considering writing a basics cookbook. Instead of grouping foods by type, it would have chapters based on the number of ingredients.

Or another idea is the Sunday cookbook, that would somehow have to be organized by what you have on hand in your house. It would work better as a computer program. But it seems I read somewhere that somone had come up with this. I think it may have been Pillsbury.

2 ingredient fudge:

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag chocolate chips.

Microwave just the condensed milk (The chips can be made hard by excess microwaving) stir in chips. Additional warming may be necessary.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my favorite recipes.

That's on recipezaar, btw, my favorite recipe website and resource for new recipes.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and mothertree, I've been considering writing a cookbook/ how-to book on cooking with what's in the house. It would cover what you should keep in stock, buying in bulk and storage, as well as sections for 1) just stuff on the "keep in stock" list, 2)stuff on the list and one extra ingredient, 3) stuff on the list and two ingredients, and 4)stuff on the list and three ingredients. Each section would also have suggested menus, desserts, etc., and there would be indexes by recipe name, main ingredient, course, and time to make. I don't know if I'll ever do it, but that's how I cook, and I don't understand these people who go out and shop for every meal they make.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
mothertree: how long do you microwave?
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a recipe:

23 hours of sleep a day.
HEAPS of good excuses.
A willnot to go to school.

Blend it in a slob for 25 years.

The result: a good life.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, that would help a poor college student like me out SO much. Half the time I have pasta with whatever meat i have, and Olive oil, and what ever vegetable I have. Works as a meal, but gets repetitive.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my recipes over on my Chilli & Chocolate page. There's a whole bunch I need to add still, but that can get you started.

If you like spicy, you've got to try the New Wave Garlic Bread. It'll surprise the heck out of you how good it tastes.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 4 eggs
• 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition. Add cocoa; beat until well blended. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well. Stir in nuts, if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. About 36 brownies.

AND

STANDARD PIZZA CRUST

The following recipe produces a thin, golden California-style pizza crust. Parmesan cheese mixed into the dough adds an extra dimension of flavor, and olive oil contributes to its crispness.

1 packet (or 1 tablespoon) active dry yeast 3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons sugar 1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water 2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cups all-purpose flour

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water. Let it sit until it just begins to foam, 3 to 5 minutes.
Put the flour, Parmesan, salt, and remaining sugar in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Turning the machine on and off rapidly, pulse several times to blend them, With the machine running, pour in the yeast mixture and oil through the feed tube. Then gradually add enough of the remaining water to form a smooth dough. Continue processing until the dough forms a ball that rides around the work bowl on the blade; the dough at this point will be sufficiently kneaded.

For mixing dough by hand, stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the liquid ingredients and gradually stir from the center outward. When the ingredients are well combined, remove the dough from the bowl and knead it vigorously on a floured work surface for 5 to 7 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic.

Transfer the dough to a large bowl that has been oiled or coated with nonstick spray. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 30 to 45 minutes or until it has doubled in bulk. If it is more convenient, you can let the dough rise in the refrigerator for several hours instead.

Remove the dough from the bowl and cut it into four equal portions weighing about 6 ounces each, one per pizza. The dough is ready to shape and bake.

To freeze the dough, wrap each ball securely in plastic wrap and place in the freezer. The dough will keep for several weeks, Defrost it at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours, or all day in the refrigerator, before making the pizzas.

Bake at 550 deg. F.

Easy Pizza Sauce

(1) 6 oz can tomato paste
(2) 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp parsley

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I would like those crock-pot ideas, if you wouldn't mind. Also, anyone who doesn;t have a crock-pot should bet one, it is some of the easiest stuff to cook, adn you can turn it on when you leave in the morning and when you get home it is already done.

Depending on what you are cooking, that is...

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'd love to get your crockpot recipes. My gmail address is in my profile.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I never saw your crockpot recipe offer back when you posted it in March. I'd love a copy as well. [Smile]

Email's in my profile. Thanks!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
A great cookbook I'd recommend for college students is Student's Vegetarian Cookbook by Carole Raymond. Tons of easy and cheap recipes, and a great list of things you should always have in your pantry.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Belle, I want it, too! Please. [Wink]
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I haven't translated yet my recipe for the vegetable-feta pie (shame ! shame !), but I promise I will this week.
Hopefully.
EDIT : and here it is !
Here is : my vegetable feta recipe.
You need :
1/2 aubergine
1 green or red pepper (as you prefer)
3 eggs
3 big spoons of fresh cream
200 grammes of tomato purée
160 grammes of feta (a greek cheese)
Some pie crust (I buy it made but you can make it yourself)
Warning : you need to use a pie dish at last 26 centimeters of diameter and 5 centimeter high, or you'll have too much fixings (but I guess that if your dish is too small you can keep the proportions and take less ingredients)
Cut the vegetables in little pieces. Frie them (I use olive oil, but that's as you like it). Put in a dish the eggs, the fresh cream and the tomato purée. Mix them. Take another dish to crumble the feta.
When the vegetables are cooked, you can put your pie crust in your greased pie dish. Don't forget to do little holes in it (with a fork, for example) to eliminate the bubbles that could happen during the cooking.
Put in your pie crust the mix eggs, tomato puree and fresh cream. Then add the feta and the vegetables equally in all the tart. They have to be covered by the mixture.
Put your dish in the oven, 220°C. I put an aluminum sheet on it so that it does not burn.
It should be cooked after about 3/4 hour (depends on the oven you use). Test the cooking with a knife before you put the dish out of the oven.

[ January 17, 2005, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.