FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » University of Michigan

Author Topic: University of Michigan
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
The admissions process is finally(!!) over for me. I sent in my enrollment deposit a few days ago. [Big Grin]

So, are there any other Wolverines on Hatrack?

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
There's John.
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you find concrete astheticly pleasing.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Miro! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[The Wave]

[Party]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- Who's John?

- What does concrete have to do with anything?

- Thanks, Ela. [Big Grin] It's nice to not have to think about it anymore.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Does two years at a Voc Tech school owned by U of M count? If so, I count. If not, My sister goes to U of M. However she attends the "other" campus. Less distance to drive and cheaper tuition fees.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you're going to Ann Arbor!! I lived there for five months while a missionary. I don't know about the school, but the town is wonderful. Truly integrated, lots of stuff to do, not too big... it's perfect. I've considered UM for grad school partly just for the chance to live in Ann Arbor. [Smile]

Are you LDS? I can't remember. There is a student ward there. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
First I want to say congratulations, because college is a wonderful experience and I know how stressful it can be getting all you application work completed.

BUT...

Michigan? really? You do know that university is full of poo eaing crap heads right? I mean, I am completely unbiased (really I swear), but I hear that alumni there have been know to eat their own children. Really, I saw a show about it on discovery. This is just a suggestion but you should really consider applying to a school like Ohio State. [Big Grin] I've never heard anything bad about that school and in fact, didn't they win the best school in the universe award this year. I think they did. US weekly even said its the only school people should go to if they have any desire to be succesful later in life. I think Michigan ranked last in that same poll. You should really think about it, I mean it's your future.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Stan - I don't see why not. [Smile] I don't know what the "other" campus is, though.

kat - No, I'm not LDS. Heh, that would be funny. [Smile] Anyway, yeah, Ann Arbor is great. My family goes through there every year on the way to visit my grandfather. That, and I've visited my sister there a couple times (she's a junior), so I'm pretty familiar with it (and excited).

Dagonee - [Big Grin]

beatnix -
quote:
I mean, I am completely unbiased (really I swear), but I hear that alumni there have been know to eat their own children. Really, I saw a show about it on discovery.
That's funny, considering both of my parents went there. [Razz]
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know how the law school is there?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a UM alumnus. Graduated 2003. Great school -- congratulations!

Make sure to take a class from Ralph Williams. Also, if you're at all interested in philosophy, the Michigan department is one of the US top 5, and many of the professors are wonderfully nice.

Are you in one of the residential learning programs?

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, no.

*heavy sighs*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix19: OHIO !?! I...no....never. Ok, but just because a college is not to blame for how much the state's hockey team STINKS. [Smile]

Miro: The "other" campus is in Flint. Trust me, Ann Arbor is a LOT better.

I'm so sorry Raia.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Beatnix: Don't you even know that your university isn't Ohio State, it's The Ohio State University. And besides, there's nothing good that ever came out of Ohio. Illinois is a much better alternative.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro -- congrats!

GO BLUE!!!

*sings the fight song*

Both my parents went to Michigan for business school -- I almost went there myself. Plus they're my surrogate football team, since GW doesn't have one.

So yeah. Congrats again! It's a great school, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! My parents live about an hour and fifteen minutes from Ann Arbor. When I'm in state, I visit often, as my two closest friends from high school and several other friends go there.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister went to Michigan State...

*ducks*

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, are there any other Wolverines on Hatrack?
Actually, yes, now that I think of it.

But no, not a Michigan Wolverine.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
miro,

*tassles, wrassles and bites*

I couldn't say enough good things about A-squared and that school. The opportunities available to a student, undergrad or grad, far exceed the most hypermotivated A-type personality I've ever encountered.

And it's a heck of a place to chill and learn.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Destineer - I'm in the engineering school, but I'll probably take a few philosophy courses before I'm done. It's in my blood. [Smile] What does Ralph Williams teach?

Raia - There's always next year, right?

quote:
My sister went to Michigan State...

*ducks*

[Razz]
Ela
Member # 1365

Wow, engineering??!! [Eek!]

I'm impressed. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Raia - There's always next year, right?
One hopes! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I have a number of friends who've graduated from Engin, and one who will still be there next year. Do you know what kind of engineering you want to do?

Williams is a professor of English and Religion. He teaches courses on Shakespeare, Dante, the Bible as literature, and comparative religion.

For philosophy, I recommend Jamie Tappenden, Ian Proops and Jim Joyce (although Joyce is a tough grader).

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

So.... no one knows how the law school is?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very good law school. Pretty, too.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm thinking either electrical engineering or engineering physics.

Ela - Let's see how impressed you are when I get my first semester grades. [Razz]

Ela
Member # 1365

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm sure you'll do great, Miro. [Smile]

fallow
Member # 6268

Book,

The law school is excellent, though apparently VERY difficult the first year. There's a strong weeding-out process.

Also, if you choose to study in the law library the night of the naked mile, you'll be treated to naked hooligans dancing on those otherwise austere tables.

[Smile]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Miro,

The engineering programs are excellent. There are great teachers, and the resources are astounding due to lots of ties to industry. This is also a very good thing in planning your career after school. The only downside is being on north campus. It's a bit more of a secluded suburban feel than the central AA bohemia.

fallow

Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, fallow, here I had just about decided that I absolutely admired your posting style, and guess what?! -- I come across a post of yours that I actually understand...

Edit: Make that two. My world is crumbling!

Miro, congratulations! Engineering sounds fun. [Big Grin]

[ March 30, 2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Sal ]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Sweet. Any idea how admissions are?

[ March 30, 2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

fallow
Member # 6268

Book,

I'm not sure. It's certainly gained some notoriety in recent years, but I think that's mainly a result of AA being a place where debate is pretty much the norm if not a necessity. I had one friend who entered into the program and she wasn't academically stellar, and was returning to school after a long leave. 1 data point.

fallow

fallow
Member # 6268

Sal,

double, double, toil and trouble
fire burn, and worlds crumble

michigan, it's plain to see
is an oasis in a sea of mediocrity

monkeys grin and monkeys grimace
make sure you visit the crystal palace.

[Roll Eyes]

now that just sucked. sorry.

fallow

Book
Member # 5500

Thanks.
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
fallow,

Yeah, but better anyway. (No offense, right? -- I DID mean the "admiration" part.)

[Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Sal,

Offense at what? I've never been an administrator. I haven't got what it takes.

fallow

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro -

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mean, I am completely unbiased (really I swear), but I hear that alumni there have been know to eat their own children. Really, I saw a show about it on discovery.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's funny, considering both of my parents went there.

Yes, but what your parents probably aren't telling you is that you used to have an older brother. Consider yourself lucky.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

[Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.