FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In this season of freedom, I am setting myself free (last week, last day) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: In this season of freedom, I am setting myself free (last week, last day)
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela   Email Ela         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the situation doesn't improve, it's time for a change...

I had been thinking about it for a long time, hoping to hold out till the summer, but my husband finally pushed me to make the decision:

I am quitting my job. I handed in my letter of resignation, giving them the amount of notice that my institution requests, and my last day is this coming Friday.

The stress, and the chronic inadequate staffing, coupled with high acuity patients, has been getting to me for a long time. It has gotten worse during my time on this unit, too, as staff has left and not been replaced. The other issue that bugs me is having been harassed every time I ask for a day off on this unit, especially my religious holidays (as discussed in this thread). I currently have 160 hrs of unused personal leave time! I understand that personal leave requests can be denied due to staffing, but I have the right to request them without being harassed each time, I think.

At first, I was scared to death. (That is part of the reason why I didn't post my news right away.) I do not have a new job lined up yet. I will soon be unemployed, with Jewish dayschool tuitions to pay, household expenses, and college tuitions looming. Unrealistic fears took over - What if I can't get another job??!! Realistically, of course, that is unlikely. Nursing jobs are many and varied, and I have advanced degrees and a wide variety of experience. I should be able to find something, and I will make sure to let my needs be known when I interview.

This is how my meeting with the Nurse Manager (that's the new and improved name for Head Nurses) went, the day I resigned:
The NM was in her office and I handed her the letter and waited for her to read it.
NM: Are you sure you want to do this?
Me: Yes, I think so.
NM: You think so...?
Me: Yes, I need a job that will be less stressful.
NM: I suggested that you go to EAP...
Me: I don't think EAP is the answer. I really need a job with more flexible hours.
(My note to this comment: Originally I had thought, when I moved to this unit, that I would ask for a 4 day/wk schedule, which is still entitled to paid benefits, but I have seen that is not really possible, and 12 hr shifts at our hospital entail working 3 shifts one week and 4 shifts the next wk - and are not available on that unit in any case.)
NM: (Protesting) But we gave you the days off for Passover! (which is untrue, they only gave me part of the days I needed, actually, but I didn't bother to mention that)

That last comment really showed me that she didn't get it - my need for more flexible scheduling is not just about getting my holidays off, but about being to get days off when I need them without being hassled each time. I really had nothing to say to that comment, and she ended the meeting by saying she would put my resignation through.

I am planning to take some time off for rest and relaxation, and to spend time with my family. Than I will start investigating the job market. There is a hospital walking distance from my house that advertises "flexible scheduling" and a friend of mine works there and has done ok.

I am looking forward to the freedom of not having to get up each morning to go to work, at least for awhile. I really need a good rest. But still, being unemployed can be a bit scary... [Angst]

Wish me luck. And send me some moral support!!

**Ela**

[ April 04, 2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5770 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wishes Ela luck* Hope it goes well, and enjoy a work-free Passover!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you have my moral support.

It will work out, I firmly believe that anyone that makes a decision for the sake of their family will not be disappointed in the outcome.

I know it's scary, but I don't think you'll regret this. They will - but with the way they've treated, you Ela, they asked for this.

(((Ela)))

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((Ela))) I think you're doing the right thing. I'm confident that you will have no trouble finding another job (and hopefully a better one) when you are ready. [Smile] Enjoy your time off!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too think you've made the right decision. Nobody should be treated the qway they treated you.

Good luck with the job search and enjoy the time off. (((Ela)))

Posts: 4461 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! I completely you are doing the right thing. And you have valuable, valuable expertise and experience. You'll easily be able to find something. I'm proud of you for not putting up with a situation in which you were unhappy. [Smile]
Posts: 26076 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, Ela! I know you'll find a better job. You don't deserve to be treated like that. Make sure your new job agrees up front to give you your holidays off. Congratulations!

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full support in this corner.

From what I've heard, that job sounds horrible. There is for sure better work places for you out there!

Hope your break is nice and relaxing and I hope when you are rested up, a job that fits your needs and you enjoy comes knocking soon after. [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:: Huggle :: you go goddess!
Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately some support from me, Ela. Here's to hoping for a happy career!
Posts: 9753 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you, Ela! I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a job where they know how to treat you right!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cheers Ela on*

AJ

Posts: 11264 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, Ela! Enjoy the freedom, and the time with your family. And know that this year, when you say "Avadim Hayinu," it really will be past tense!

(((((Ela)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela   Email Ela         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

That was the idea, rivka. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5770 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to what that means.

Anyway, very big congratulations from me and a ton of moral support.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Avadim Hayinu" = we were slaves
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a great idea, Ela. I think you will have no trouble finding another job. You also might want to consider being a fill-in nurse. That way you can work the weeks/hours you want to work and not work the ones you don't want.

I have a friend who did that for many years and actually worked more and made more than if he was full time staff. But he knew he could always walk away at a moment's notice if they didn't treat him well.

Bob

And maybe this will mean you have enough schedule flexibility to visit Ames in early April 2005.

[Wink]

Posts: 22496 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
"Avadim Hayinu" = we were slaves
It's from the lines we recite at the Passover seder, "We were slaves to Pharoh in Egypt, but
G-d brought us from from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm."

During Passover we celebrate our freedom from that slavery, hence the title of this thread. [Smile]

[ March 29, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((Ela)))

Sounds like you made a good choice. I was nervous when I left my school in Miami that treated me like dirt--you know which one! Like you, I left without a new job in place. But things worked out, as they will for you, and I have never regretted it. If you think you are being treated badly, it's probably because you are.

Good luck!

(((Ela)))

pssst . . . there's some decent hospitals up here, I hear . . . [Wink]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Ela, and good luck.

Oh, and nice timing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ela, you know as a nurse you can find a job tomorrow just by picking up a phone and dialing the nearest hospital. [Smile]

Enjoy your time off, my dear. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ela, you are a strong, lovely woman. I am sure you will have little trouble finding work that is fulfilling for you. I am glad to see you getting out of a bad situation and opening yourself up to whatever blessings and adventures lie ahead.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, Ela! I'm so glad you did this! You won't be sorry, I'm sure. This is a smart move.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Thanks, everyone, for the support and words of encouragement.

Glad you like my timing, Dana. [Big Grin]
It was deliberate: My husband said to me, "If you quit now, you can be off in time for Passover." [Smile]

**Ela**

Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t, life should be celebrated and enjoyed. We should all have our work to do, but their is no reason why work should always be so stressful that you can't enjoy the flowers or the fading sun in the afternoon.
Posts: 1752 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ela, strong work. You are an awesome role model. [Smile]

I'm sure you will find a place where your skills and dedication will be appreciated. That place was really beyond the pale.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Icky, the chances that I would be moving up to your neck of the woods are pretty darn low...but I might consider a visit if you could put up with me. [Wink]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had you considered being a traveller?

(And we are hiring in Madison ... [Big Grin] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Heh, what a good excuse to come visit you, CT. [Smile]

I don't think my hubby would like it though. It's been hard enough with him traveling back and forth to Chicago and other locations the past few years for his consulting jobs.

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you got out of that situation. It was definitely weird. You'll do great.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Ela, you know we'd love to see you again (and the rest of your brood as well!)

Just don't come by when we're going to be out of town or something, as Narr is wont to do!

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, Ela. I know you love your work, it is obvious by the way you post about it. It was also obvious that you enjoyed it less and less the longer you worked there, so I am glad that you got out of there before your love for the profession had soured beyond recovery.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

Best of luck.

Kwea

Posts: 15078 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Ela, you know we'd love to see you again (and the rest of your brood as well!)

Just don't come by when we're going to be out of town or something, as Narr is wont to do!

Don't worry, Icky, I will be sure to check with you before I make any plans to come up. [Wink]
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
You're excellent at what you do, in a field that is more highly-demanded than most. You resigning is their loss.
Thanks for that, Adam. Yeah, I sort of feel as though it is their loss, too. Does that seem conceited? But I know I am good at what I do, more conscientious than many. I enjoy the work and the patients, and I am able to apply my knowledge intelligently. Unfortunately, management seems unwilling or unable to express appreciation for the contributions of any except for a few favorites. I have many friends in my unit, from the environmental and security staff to the other nurses. Many have felt a similar lack of appreciation for their contribitions, and most are upset that I am leaving. (On the other hand, I haven't really had one word on the subject from the managerial staff, which just strikes me as so odd.)

quote:
Once you're in a new job where they appreciate you, you'll look back with amazement that they even bungled losing you. (I'm doing that now. It's fun.)
Yeah, I bet you are enjoying that, Adam. [Evil]

Icky, I also wanted to thank you for your comments about your experience with your job change. Chatting about that with you on aim was really helpful and encouraging to me. Thanks. [Smile]

**Ela**

Ela
Member # 1365

Last week I spoke to a nurse in the hospital administration staff whose job is "nurse retention."

The meeting was basically a waste of time.

I had been hoping that she might be able to offer me some suggestions as to alternate positions within the same institution, but she seemed to take the view that since I had already given notice of my resignation, there wasn't too much she could do, "unless I changed my mind." (I might have changed my mind if she had some suggestions to offer me, which was basically what I had been hoping for, and why I bothered with the meeting at all.)

First of all, I felt that she was stereotyping me with her questions. She asked me how long had I been a nurse (not long), and said, "Oh, it was a career change for you?" Then she asked me if I liked nursing. I had the feeling she was expecting me to say no and was surprised when I said yes.

She asked me what sort of problems I had been having and why I wanted to leave. I told her, and she empathized, but she seemed to be most interest in being an apologist for the hospital, making comments such as, "We can't help an occasional bad manager," and "the hospital administration is working to make improvements, but it may take a few years for results to be noticeable."

She then asked me, "How do you know it will be better some place else?" I said, "I don't, but I am going to find out."

One of the things that nurses are told in employee orientation at my hospital is that nurses leave to go to other hospitals, and "come running back" to this hospital. She seems to think it is still true, although I have my doubts. I know many who are unhappy and only stay to get the years in for good pension benefits.

I told her that I thought the system is broken and a lot needs to be fixed. I was very unsatisfied with the outcome of that meeting, and not at all convinced that staying is in my best interest at this time.

My co-workers, from the environmental and security staff to the nursing staff (even a few doctors) are sorry to see me leaving. Oddly, I have not heard one word on the topic of my leaving or any desire to retain me from the managerial nursing staff on my unit.

It seems very odd to me...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
"I don't, but I am going to find out."
The words of someone who has taken command of her life. Good for you!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Yeah, and it was sort of a scary step, Dag. Even today, a nurse in the employee health office said to me something on the order of "I wonder if you'll come running back, like all those other nurses." It's like a company myth, and for a long time it rather intimidated me from leaving, because everyone where I work kept saying it's worse elsewhere...but it's been years since most of them worked anywhere else!
lcarus
Member # 4395

I think every workplace has that same myth. I heard it before at my old school, but could not see any real evidence of this for myself.

And my exit interview with the administration stooge was not real productive either, except insofar as I got to tell one of them to his face what I thought.

[Smile]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have not heard one word on the topic of my leaving or any desire to retain me from the managerial nursing staff on my unit.
Sounds like sulking to me.

I agree that the "come running back" nurses are mythical. Do you know any who left and came back? Does anyone you work with know any? I'll bet no one does.

Good for you, Ela! I left a crummy job and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Actually, since apparantly "running back" is accepted, you're risking nothing. So them telling you that is actually encouragement to leave, since you know they'll take you back if they are better than anything else you find.

Dagonee
Edit: I just had a validation moment for my decision to leave my job last year and go to law school, so I'm happy to see others taking the leap.

[ April 01, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Sounds like sulking to me.
Who's sulking, Mrs. M, me or the managers?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Managers!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I guess that's one explanation for the behavior of the managers. They have sort of avoided saying anything about the fact that I am leaving at all... [Confused]

[ April 01, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys saved my life tonight (almost literally). I got that phone call from my boss and her boss, etc., all on speaker phone telling me I hadn't gotten the promotion I really thought I had in the bag.

Although God and I have a pretty one-sided conversation most times, I asked for help and got a few good answers. Then I checked into Hatrack and saw I was not the only one having an emotional day, employment-wise. After 60-hour weeks away from home for the past 4 years, I think I'm done, but I'm so scared to leap into something else, as if anything could be worse than this.

Thanks everyone, for your courage, and the unstated encouragement you give, even to us lurkers.

Maybe the result of this crazy day will be that I get to be home with my incredible little boy, every day, like normal moms.

I might type more, but I cannot for the life of me stop crying. Self-image, self-respect and self-confidence directly in the toilet for a few days.

I feel like such a loser.

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

(((((DocCoyote)))
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm sorry, Lisa. [Frown] (((((Lisa))))) It hurts a lot to work so hard for something -- to be sure that you deserve it! -- and have someone tell you that you don't.

But (and this is a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do thing [Wink] ) you are NOT your job, and their evaluation of you is NOT the one that matters the most. God, your son, your husband -- their evaluations are very different, I think. They know you are no loser -- and so do we.

(((((Lisa)))))

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing is that the VP of our department enrolled me for membership in a very expensive peer organization, and I was the only one on my team of 30 people to be given the distinction, but I was not good enough for this promotion.

I really ultimately think this is the kick in the behind I need to move either into a teaching career or a medical career. I have a degree in Biology, and perhaps shouldn't have been in audit for 5 years.

Self-pity sucks. Thanks, all, for making me a small part of the family. How many of you feel a connection to Peggy Larner, who I recognize as a stern older sister?

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Sorry you are having a tough time with your job, also, Lisa. Job problems can be very depressing and draining. Hang in there and good luck with whatever you decide to do in the future.

**Ela**

Ela
Member # 1365

Last week, they had a big farewell party for me and another nurse who is leaving (unlike me, the other nurse is leaving for a satellite hospital, so she is "staying in the system").

I suspect that they would not have had such a big party for me if the other nurse had not been leaving at the same time. It was a nice party though, and I appreciated the thought. They gave me a nice card, signed by many of the people who work on our unit, and a very nice present. They even made sure to provide kosher food for me.

(Does it sound a little ungrateful to say that I wish some appreciation had been shown to me before I had decided to leave? Did I have to decide to leave in order to be appreciated?)

The supervisor said a few words in honor of each of the departing nurses. In my case, she made a remark about my "feisty self." I wasn't quite sure how to take that one. I like being feisty, but I am pretty sure that she did not mean it as a compliment. She also said she would be happy to take me back on "TR" (temporary relief) after I had got a chance to rest up a bit.

Oh, and did I mention my last week's schedule? It is normal in our institution for nursing staff to be scheduled to work no more than 4 days in a row. For my last week, I was off last Friday, on Saturday, off Sunday, and then scheduled to work 5 days in a row. When I saw that schedule, I sort of felt like they were sticking it to me, and some of my co-workers agreed. But I fixed that by calling in Monday. [Wink]

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, for me, once I've decided to go, I'm usually not amenable to being persuaded to stay. However, if they offer a big enough carrot, and ask nicely enough, then I can sometimes be swayed.

The farewell party was nice. This place sounds like a much better ex-employer than employer. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.