FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Retro Thread #234 -- Critique a Hatracker! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Retro Thread #234 -- Critique a Hatracker!
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
We did this a few years ago with limited sucess, but I thought I might ressurrect it cause I'm genuinely interested in what others think of my posting style.

You only offer yourself up for critiquing in this thread if you can take the heat.

And I'll go first....

I don't intend this to be a ego-type thing. I want honest, tough, genuine critiqueing and feedback here. What about my posting style bugs you, what could I work on, what things do I do that just piss you off.

Again, honesty counts.

Let me have it.

**braces self against the onslaught**

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
You're Jon Boy, right?
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
No, Pat.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

I guess some posts do need a 'j/k' at the end.

And that really is my only critique, Pat, trying to remember who all is you. Especially when you get all tricksy and make me figure out new ones like you did with Darwin.

[ March 29, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: peter the bookie ]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Pat is about perfect. The only problem is that he doesn't post more. He's one of the first inklings I had that LDS guys are not necessarily insensitive, power-abusing children with a sense of entitlement. I think he's hilarious and insightful.

I'm sorry - was this it? Do I need to include something negative? Um... the name's a little ambiguous..

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
More negative, kat.

[Big Grin]

**intends to listen for a while and will respond later.**

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Please. It took about five posts to figure out that Darwin was Pat.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The name is very ambiguous.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

this thread is not just for me. Anyone else wants a good critiquing, you're welcome to apply for it here.
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'll step up.

Have at it, folks!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Can we submit people for this service? [Evil]
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You can't.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat- post more. Show up at more get togethers. If you end up missing Bob, I'll stab you with a q-tip. Quit reminding me about your dog, and let me TP you in peace!

Bokonon- no problems here.

I'm always up for some good critisism, and believe me, I undoubtedly need it.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to write more decent paragraphs instead of starting a new one every two sentences. Or at least use run-on sentences so my eyes don't have to hop & skip over your text. But I like things in neat little blocks so it looks as if I'm reading something out of a newspaper or a book. That's not really a critique, it's just a personal taste.

Plus.

It's a rule I break.

All the time.

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

T, I think you're fabulous.

A little too hard on yourself, but that's all.

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game... let me have it...

Pat, I've seen you get angry enough to lose your cool a couple of times, I think (perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong Pat?), but as someone who does that, too, I figure your REAL problem is that you don't get angry about the same things that I do. I enjoy your posting a great deal more as Trogdor, for some reason unquantifiable, than under your other names... this may be evidence of a bias I have against multi-named people.

Bok, as I go back to posts I remember from you I am recalling fluffy and funny. this is not a bad thing but it may indicate that for whatever reason I either don't like your serious posts, don't read them very much or, well, don't take them seriously.

For what it's worth.

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
weird... I can't see my previous post on this thread here... edit: oh, there it is!

T_Smith -- I think you need to let people know how old you are more often because you seem way older than you actually are...

[ March 29, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

T, you seriously need to quit with the down on yourself stuff. It just ain't true.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rita Spankmistress
Member # 3484

- posted      Profile for Rita Spankmistress           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm living up to my predecessors as Rita [Frown] . How can I be a better Spankmistress?
Posts: 114 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

administer more spankings...?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

::wonders who JK aimed that at::

I'm not fabulous and I'm definately not hard on myself. [Wink]

For public record, I'm 18. [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Nathan, just yesterday you posted something that made me wonder if it were possible to not love you, wish I were a better person, and hope that you know just how beautiful you are.

Be less hard on yourself.

Post more in serious threads in serious ways.

Keep writing my landmarks, because you are funnier than me.

katharina
Member # 827

*tackle-hugs T and sits on him*

Yes, you're fabulous. Completely. Sweet and brave and adorable. Not that me saying it means anything, and I can't convince YOU of it by my own words, but I think you're great. I don't know you well, much less perfectly, but I've known you long, so my opinion has that. You're splendid. [Smile]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

::chuckles::

Shouldn't this be saved for Hatrack Retro Thread #250- the Compliment Thread?

katharina
Member # 827

There's never an innapropriate place.
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

TSmith -- I would echo what others have said here. You ARE too hard on yourself. You have a lot to offer a lot of people and have a genuine likeable personality. 'Work on your self-image, people like people who like themselves -- they're more fun to be around.

Bok -- your username is gender vague like mine. No complaints from me other than that.

And thanks for my feedback. I didn't mean this to be a thread where people tell me how cool I am, but I don't mind it.

Keats -- I learned to write this way in journalism school -- short, sweet sentences. Lots of breaks serve as entry points. I have a hard time making a paragraph longer than one sentence. But I will work on that and appreciate the feedback.

TAnalogkid -- that is the kind of feedback I want. Thanks for it. It's one of my ongoing resolutions to not fly off the handle over things that piss me off. It's impeded my progress several times and I have to stop. I am genuninely working on it.

-- Pat

Edit to add that after looking at this post, I can really see what Keats is talking about. [Angst]

[ March 29, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, I don't think your paragraphs are too short and choppy. Maybe a little bit, but not so much that it bugs me. I definitely have issues with some other people's short, choppy paragraphs, though. But they haven't asked to be critiqued, so I won't name names.

[ March 29, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Pat, I hope I made it clear that I'm far worse about it than you are... [Wink]
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

ARE NOT!!!
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have anything to say about my posting style? Need to know if my fluff is up to snuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

*edited for copyright infringement*

*Kicks Pat down a flight of stairs instead*

[ March 29, 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, I love your posting style. I'm only upset that we're both getting to our 1-year Hatrack Anniversary in April and you have nearly twice as many posts as I do.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

That is because I'm a post whore.

I NEVER LEAVE... O_O

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I prefer short, concise sentences -- probably because I use so few of them myself. [Wink]

Pat, I like you and respect you, but it took me a long time to figure out that you're a pigtail-in-the-ink-bottle kind of guy. [Big Grin] That is, that the frequent teasing (and man, you are better at pushing my buttons than most people who have known me for years! [Angst] ) did NOT mean that you had something against me. I did get that eventually, though, and it's fine now. [Smile] (It's not the teasing I mind -- I do plenty of that myself -- it was the worry that I had ticked you off somehow.)

Anyway, I like you, Pat, and agree with peter -- you should post more. [Smile]

Bok, I have rarely had any issue with your posts. I have a vague recollection of thinking you were being uncharacteristically snippy in one thread a while back -- couldn't tell you which to save my life. [Dont Know]

T, I agree with the others. You are far harder on yourself than you should be. We luvs ya for good cause!

Ryuko, the only problem I've ever had with your posting is when it stops! I know you have school and one of those "life" thingies, but we misses you when you not here!

Ok, I'm game -- go ahead and tell me what about my posting style makes you nuts.

[ March 29, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

I wish you played mafia more. That is, the games I moderate.

[Frown]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Ryukochan, you're going to pass me before long. (Hey, look at that, I'm almost to 3000!) By my calculations, in about 3 months or so.

I have no complaints about your posting style. You're doing your old sensei proud.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I guess I should repay the favor, no?

Pat Boy: I like your posting style. It's easy on the eyes and easy on the brain. Grammar + Spelling = GOOD. [Big Grin] Your fluff is usually funny, and you mod mafia games like a PRO.

Bok: I haven't much to say. Your posts stick out to me as particularily insightful at times.

Nate: Other than the missing you, no problems here. ((((Nate)))) [Smile]

rivka: The only thing that bothers me is when you say something in yiddish and I have no idea what it means!! [Wink]

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

rivka -- I'm glad you've toned down your huggings -- it was getting out of hand there for a while.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Ryuko - I would like to see more serious thoughts from you... I think there's some neat stuff there buried under the fluff.

Rivka - I have always liked you a great deal but the extent of your hurt and anger over Mel's movie made me feel like I was hurting you by wanting to see it. That was hard and I didn't like it. I doubt that would be considered an actual flaw (of yours, I mean... it probably has some kind of freudian implications about me).

and in case I was ambiguous, I'd love some good negative feedback. I missed kung fu last week so I haven't been beaten down for a while... [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You can critique me if you want... although I'm not sure I post enough or radically enough to warrant anything to be critiqued...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Critique me! I hear way too much positive feedback from Hobbes. Give me some good constructive criticism.

Pat - you're funny. Sometimes you're mean, but I've gotten used to the fact that it's a funny mean.

Bok - you're very insightful. Could stand to be fluffier, I suppose, but couldn't we all. [Razz]

TAK - You post far too infrequently and we miss the funny banter TAK from last summer. [Smile] I know, I know - life, whatever.

TSmith - I love your fluff. The flying croc/shark debate made me laugh so hard I cried. But we need to hear your serious thoughts every once in awhile.

Rivka - you're cool.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko is cool too. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I honestly have no complaints about your posting style. Of course you were the first hatracker to welcome me when I made my very first post. I don't know if you recall that, but here's the link .

Trogdor, you are too cool for words.

Annie, you are pretty cool.

Now it's time to critique me.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat- You need to host more "old-style" mafia games on Hatrack. I also miss when you used "Pat" or even "Patricia" [Wink]
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
(((everyone in this thread)))

You are all perfect.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game. Be gentle. [Smile]

I have no critiques of anyone who has asked so far.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
aka, you rock because you're learning Arabic. All people who are learning Arabic are cool. [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, mafia-related guilt and hugs -- those are some of the buttons. [Big Grin] However, Pat, I suggest using them more judiciously. They lose some of their sting with each use. [Wink]

Ryuko, oops, sorry! I'll try to translate (or link) Hebrew and Yiddish words. Fair enough?

TAK, I'm sorry. [Frown] That was NOT my intent. I have plenty of Christian friends who saw it, and were deeply moved by it, and I think that's great. [Smile]

I, like Annie, miss when you posted more.

Teshi, I enjoy your posts. [Smile]

Annie, ditto. Ok, so your adventurous food creations make the rest of us look bad -- but I can live with that. [Wink]

Derrell, I remember. [Smile] I have no problems with your style.

ak, sometimes you get a bit carried away (said the pot to the kettle [Big Grin] ). But your posts are always well-thought-out and thought-provoking.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
Ryuko - I would like to see more serious thoughts from you... I think there's some neat stuff there buried under the fluff.

I may, I'm not sure. I have difficulty pinning down my opinions, and when I do get into a debate on Hatrack, I just get irrationally angry in real life... Ehehe. Bad... [Frown]

quote:
Ryuko, oops, sorry! I'll try to translate (or link) Hebrew and Yiddish words. Fair enough?
It's all I ask. [Big Grin]
Bokonon
Member # 480

Annie, sorry about that. I'm molting...

-Bok

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.