FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fictional Hates/Dislikes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fictional Hates/Dislikes
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Novinha.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I know. Everyone loves the series but me!

I think in part that my expectations of his abilities to characterize were set artificialy high by the prologue. Will came across with so well in such a short amount which no other character, major or minor, managed to.

Arya and Sansa being such complete opposites made them both feel far too flat to be at all real to me. There were several other characters that tasted flat, but those were the two who's viewpoints we actually got to see.

I don't really have any complaint complaints, I just wasn't captured by it. There were definitly interesting aspects, the Others could be a pretty kick ass book on their own, but the sum total isn't enough to make me prioratize the series. It's not exactly dislike so much as there are plenty of things I would potentially enjoy reading a good deal more.

[ March 30, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: peter the bookie ]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about Novinha! I hate her! She is such a #$#@#
And she gets the best man in the universe! And she treats him terribly, blaming him for everything.
Oh, she drives me up a wall!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really interesting peter! I agree that the prologue was incredibly well written, but I found the books as a whole to be on par with it. Honestly, I find A Song of Ice and Fire to be one of, if not the single best work of fiction by a living author that I've come across.

I didn't really have any trouble believing that two siblings could be so different, perhaps because of how radically different I am from my own brother. I found both characters to be believably developed, and completely three dimensional.

To a certain degree, though, this kind of thing is subjective; I'm not trying to force my appreciation of the book on you, but I'm fascinated by the fact that you found it lacking.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to admit to being a freak. I didn't like American Gods. [Eek!]
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That one's on my list of books to read, and I've actually gone so far as to buy it, but I haven't read it yet.

What books do you like, other than the Amber series?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, I forgot about her too. There is nothing likeable about Novinha. I think that Ender hates himself still, which is why he shacked up with her.

[ March 30, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
strange, yes. But there was just something about Novinha that i liked. I know that she treats Ender terribly, but She got Ender! that is admirable enough, I can't really explain why I like her. I think that I had a good impression of her and when she started being a (Nasty word) I disregarded it and said she is just being stupid, she'll come around.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Wesley Crusher

Three Words:

Out the airlock!

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I must have got inside Novinha's skull too effectively to hate her. I got frustrated with her but didn't really hate her, ever. I think part of that was "well, Ender must see something in her." Maybe if I re-read it now I'd hate her, but I'm not sure I would...
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't so much dislike Novinha. It's just that I came away feeling like there really wasn't enough explanation for me to understand why a relationship developed between her and Ender. I accepted it and moved on, but it never really made sense, except to move the plot in certain directions.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Novinha is probably the character that I am most like.
to be broken beyond anyone's ability to fix.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender and Novinha didn't seem to spend that much time together. Their marriage just happened... Suddenly, with hardly no romance.
I felt sorry for her losses and pain, but then I couldn't help thinking that on some level she bought it on herself and did NOTHING to really change.
She drove me crazy...
Plus she was just... so...
venomous...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't relate all the reasons I dislike Cersi without issuing spoilers, adn I hat spoilers, so I won't be specific:

She uses EVERYONE for her own personal gain, even her own brother/twin.

How sick is that realtionship?

I hated Jamie, but in SOS he became much more sympathetic, and not because of his injury. We finally got a bit of his version of his past actions, and I found myself likeing him more and more, despite myself. I have high hopes for his character.

She is the main reason, other than his own pig-headedness, for what happens to Eddard Stark. I really liked his character.

I don't like the fact that she always gets someone else to do her dirty work for her, and rarely gets her own hands dirty.

Lissa annoys me to no end too. Is it possible to be more of a waste of skin that she is? She ahs done exactally the wrong thing every time in every novel. She....wait, I can't say anything else as it would be a spoiler. Lets just say her "relationship" is incredibly stupid, even for her.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Novinha, because Ender loved her.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She uses EVERYONE for her own personal gain, even her own brother/twin.

She is the main reason, other than his own pig-headedness, for what happens to Eddard Stark. I really liked his character.

I don't like the fact that she always gets someone else to do her dirty work for her, and rarely gets her own hands dirty.

Is it wrong that these are all reasons I liked her? I'm sure in some way I was channeling her through Nellie Olson.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
The Snow Queen
Cousin Sid
Duras
Kira and Captan Sisko
Wicked King Noah
Delilah
Oh yeah, and the whiney-assed kid in "The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe" that gets Aslan killed.

[ March 31, 2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Sweet William ]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, Cersi basically ruins the Kingdom on order to run it like her own personal playpen...

She does make a wonderful villan, so perhaps you were merely channeling......yourself?
[Roll Eyes]
Kwea

P.S. do YOU have brothers.... [Eek!]

[ March 31, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

**HUGE SPOILER FOR A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE**

quote:
quote:
Well, Cersi basically ruins the Kingdom on order to run it like her own personal playpen...
Naaah, Cersi isn't the main reason for what happens to Ned, and she only thinks that she is running the kingdom like her own personal playpen. She's just a pawn in Littlefinger's game. He's the real puppetmaster of the Seven Kingdoms.

[ March 31, 2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE GUINAN!!!!
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This last weekend, I saw a theatrical version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I found myself *really* wanting to peform the part of Edmund, the "whiney-assed kid in "The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe" that gets Aslan killed."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one: THOMAS COVENANT.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Holden! I relate to him, you've just forgotten how angsty it is being a teenager.

And I don't care if you are a teenager, in that case you have no excuse.

No. I remember just how angst-ridden I was as a teenager.

Also, I was a teenager - in eighth grade - the first time I was forced to read "Catcher in the Rye" (I've had to read it three times for different classes), and I hated him then. I thought then, and still think now, that he was a poser and completely obnoxious.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, I'm surprised you didn't mention Cho Chang after how much you went on about how much you hated her
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I don't think that Littlefinger is infallable either. He actually wanted Ned to do....well, something other than what he eventually did....if you remember what I'm talking about.... [Big Grin]

Cersi is a great anti-hero; just look at what she had Jamie do to Bran!

I hate her, but she makes the series better by opposing the main characters ruthlessly.

I'm not a big fan of Sir Lors, either.

Kwea

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.