FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do we love pirates? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do we love pirates?
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really keen on the "don't do anything" aspect.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ryuko:

We romanticize pirates partly because they're far enough away that we can forget...

Pirates are still alive and well in the waters around Indonesia.

A Vietnamese refugee friend of mine says that her boat was boarded by pirates as she was crossing to Malaysia. The pirates did what pirates do.

My dad is a ham radio enthusiast and often talks to retired yachters as they sail around the world. They say that Indonesia is very dangerous and they have to gather in a convoy. The pirates now carry automatic rifles and rocket launchers.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]

knew i shouldn't post number 49 in a thread. Now no one will read about Jean Lafitte. [Grumble]

[Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet more people read about Jean Lafitte then post links to the Wenchcon Boot Picture...

*flips out and kills his boss, because ninjas are cool*

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.