FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling journalists -- now with the profile of Farmgirl

Author Topic: Calling journalists -- now with the profile of Farmgirl
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in a serious bind. Someone at the Sun-Sentinel committed to an e-mail interview for a profile piece for my journalism class. The assignment is due tomorrow, however, and she *still* hasn't responded. So I'm turning to Hatrack for help.

The assignment is to interview a community journalist and profile them. It can be as career-oriented or as personally-oriented as I so choose, but I need someone who writes for/is published in a local newspaper somewhere in the U.S. (or someone who fit this description at some point in their lifetime). The only two people I *know* of here that do this are Uncle Orson himself and Chris Bridges, but I figure there might be others who would be willing to help me out.

In any case, I've compiled a list of questions -- a combination of job-related and personal questions -- that I'd like to use to base my profile on. If anyone is willing to help me out on this and answer some of these questions, please please please take a look at them and e-mail your answers back to me at kase@gwu.edu. Please don't feel you have to answer all the questions that are there (although the more basic information is important). The ones at the end are more for fun and will just help me make the profile more interesting and engaging.

The questions are here:
http://home.gwu.edu/~kase/profile.html

Thank you!!

((Hatrack))

[ March 31, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kasie, I hope Chris responds to your request.

But just in case -- I'm going to take a look at your questions as well. I have worked for several years as a local journalist for a small weekly paper in our area -- and have written for local and regional magazines. I don't do as much of it any more, but will be happy to help you what I can. (I used to do the daily newspaper grind of the big city paper years ago, but found it didn't suit me).

But again, Chris WOULD be the better source.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Farmgirl,

Please do!! I'd love to profile you or anyone who's willing! I only mentioned Chris cause I knew he published the column.

Thank you *so* much.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Tom in journalism before he started doing computer networking?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat works for a newspaper.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

I would just like to say publicly that Farmgirl officially rocks [Big Grin]

((Farmgirl))

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks Kasie!

Those were some HARD questions! I mean they were great -- but many of those things I hadn't really even thought about before!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew, was going to throw my hat in the ring there, but luckily Farmgirl beat me to it.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Farmgirl -- the piece is finished, I emailed it to you!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Excellent networking. What a tribe.

(Do we get to see, or is it too private?)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

CT -- I asked Farmgirl, so it's up to her. She just has to email me back.
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need a backup, let me know.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Every professor would love to read an interview with a swollen-armed dragon.

*nods seriously

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not swollen... it's buff.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*burninates Trogdor with the sweet sweet fires of adoration

(they stings a bit, but in a good way)

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

**flexes buff arm for CT**
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I just now noticed this, now I'm sorry I haven't been by.

I'll send answers anyway, just as backup and because I love answering questionaires [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl would prolly be a better choice, actually, because I backed into my column writing (I'm the webmaster for the online paper, one of our columnists left, I submitted ten samples and they gave me an online-only column) and she did more of the day-to-day gruntwork of a real journalist. I don't have the same obligation for fact-checking and objectivity that a journalist has to have.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

So, what does that make me? [Frown]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Troggie = the buff Burninator of words

*swoons
[Cool]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Kasie did an excellent job of capturing "me" in the article she wrote. I think she is an excellent journalist.

I have told her she could share it up here on Hatrack only if she changes my name (in all places in the article) to Farmgirl.

Although some of you know my real name, I don't necessarily what my full real name posted up here for everyone to be able to access at any time. Since we don't know who all reads these forums.

Farmgirl

[ March 31, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. *is tempted to blackmail Farmgirl* [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

you know what they say about getting blood from a turnip, Tom...

[Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Kasie H
Member # 2120

Okay, here it is. Again, Farmgirl -- thank you so much. And Chris -- thanks for taking the time to resopnd. Hatrack people are *so* interesting, and Chris is *hilarious.*

Anyway, here goes.

quote:

Profile of Farmgirl (I'm having trouble coming up with a good title for this! Suggestions?)

Farmgirl knows news, she knows animals, she knows farms and she knows Kansas, but most of all, she knows people. And that’s what she loves to write about. “People just like to read about other people,” says the 43-year-old journalist and farmer.

For the past 12 years, Farmgirl has been writing for the Mount Hope Clarion, a weekly paper that serves most of Sedgwick County, Kan., where Farmgirl has lived her entire life. “Working for a weekly gives me an opportunity to write all types of stories,” she says. “But I prefer human interest. My favorite story was a short piece I did about a local officer who saved a woman’s life by realizing she was in diabetic shock.”

Farmgirl never intended to be a journalist. “I wanted to be a scientist, maybe a botanist or a biologist. But then my English teachers began raving over my writing,” says Farmgirl. “I was offered a journalism scholarship, and that’s when I first considered just being a journalist.” Farmgirl went to the University of Kansas and later wrote for the student newspaper at Friends University in Wichita, Kan.

She loved photography more than journalism, so originally she wanted to be a photojournalist. “But I soon found out there were lots more photographers than there were good writers,” she says. “More people would buy my photos if there was a story attached. So it just gradually went that direction.” She spent some time writing for the Wichita Eagle, the large daily paper in the city, but eventually found herself happier writing for small weeklies like the Halstead Independent and the Mount Hope Clarion.

Although she still writes freelance pieces, Farmgirl recently left journalism to pursue a more lucrative career so she could support her family. But she says the skills she’s learned over the years will help her no matter what she pursues. “What I have learned in journalism, writing, and marketing will always apply to anything I decide to do,” she says.

What words of advice can she offer to a young journalist just starting out? “Be willing to get experience just about anywhere. Start small. Be willing to accept criticism from people who have been in the business a lot longer than you,” she says. “But most important: read, read, read! You learn to write by recognizing good writing.”

What does she suggest? Farmgirl reads the daily newspaper, local weeklies, Reader’s Digest, and National Geographic. For her to read a book more than once, it has to be really good. “I’ve read Animal Farm by George Orwell and Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card twice,” she says. “But I can’t pick just one favorite.”

Now, Farmgirl lives in a hundred-year-old white wood frame farmhouse and spends the typical Saturday afternoon tending the garden, playing baseball or riding horses with her three teenage children. “My farm is the love of my life,” she says. “My dream job is to be a self-sufficient farmer or rancher.”

In the meantime, Farmgirl takes heart in the words from her favorite song, “I Hope You Dance,” by Lee Ann Womack. “If I could give my children a single bit of wisdom, I would say to never lose your sense of wonder, and when you feel like giving up, reconsider,” she says.

For Farmgirl, journalism has never been about news or sports or weather. It’s been about the people of Sedgwick County, Kan. She might not yet have her dream job, but she is exactly where she wants to be. Where would she live if she could live anywhere in the world? Without hesitation she says, “Right where I am.”

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Great article!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.