FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Verb "Spell"

Author Topic: The Verb "Spell"
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the use of the word "spell" to mean "to relieve (someone) from work temporarily by taking a turn", as in "Bob has been busy answering the phones for the past hour; I should probably spell him" strike you as either archaic or bumpkinish?

I used it in that sense when talking to C a little while ago, and she questioned it. It seems pretty normal to me, but it wouldn't be the first time I used a turn of phrase that seemed pretty normal to me, but that is more common in writing than it is in spoken English.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds normal to me. But then, I also tend to use language that other people see as archaic.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I too think it sounds just fine.

But then again, I still cover things I put in the icebox with tinfoil. [Smile]

[ March 30, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds archaic to me. But then again, i'm normal. [Razz]

[ March 30, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard it used that way before. Maybe it's a regional thing.

CT:

quote:
But then again, I still cover things I put in the icebox with tinfoil.
More to the point, you use the word "icebox". [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What Mike said. I've never even heard that usage before.

[ March 30, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really Jon Boy? That's surprising. If it is a regional thing, I wonder what region it is that uses it. C thought that it sounded Southern.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds *extremely* lazy/coloquial to me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

So, to your ear, it's sort of on the same plane as the noun form use of the word "spell" to mean "a short, indefinite period of time", as in "come and sit for a spell"?

To me they sound very different, and it seems natural to use the former, but very odd to use the latter.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And here i thought you were going to cast a bebazzlement spell on Bob to keep him working. I have use Spell as a noun signifying a period of time. Using it as a verb seems a bit lazy in this case.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it used both ways. I'm a product of the South, though.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

mr_porteiro_head and Dan--what do you mean by lazy, exactly? I don't quite follow.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was once in a spelling contest. We spent 3 days doing each others work.

It was a stitch.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
as an aside, i've also never heard spell used that way before. and if it helps, I'm from New England. And have also lived in Jersey and PA.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've known that usage since elementary school (I think). Read in some lesson or another.

Mike, we're both New Englanders, right? So I don't think it's a regional thing.

It's a bit archaic in this day and age, but still a great word usage.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Looking at the etymology of the word "spell", it would seem that our different uses of of the word come from different historical roots. "To spell", as in "to form words by means of letters", comes from the Middle English spellen, "to read letter by letter", from Old French espeller, which dictionary.com notes is of Germanic origin, but does not provide further information about.

Both the meanings "a short, indefinite period of time" and "to relieve (someone) from work temporarily by taking a turn" come from the Middle English spelen, "to spare", from Old English spelian, "to represent, substitute for"/

Dictionary.com doesn't provide a satisfactory etymology for "spell" meaning "a magical incantation". All is says is "Middle English, discourse, from Old English".

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
1. It's a real word, not a colloquialism.
2. It's not confined to any region.
3. It is a little archaic, but not ancient.
4. It is more common in writing than in speech, so people that do a lot of reading will be more likely to know it.

I have spoken.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I was familiar with it referring to a short period of time, but not as a verb to substitute. New to me.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, and Bob?

[ROFL]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

What I mean by lazy is giving a word a new meaning to shorten the number of words you need to speak. "I am going to relieve Bob for a spell." becomes "I'm going to spell Bob."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
B-O-B
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean that when Bob relieves himself, he is spelling Bob? [Big Grin]
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll argue with its status as an archaic word: I have never heard it used in a Jane Austen novel.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm relieved.

I've also heard spell used to describe "having a fit." As in "Bob's having one of his spells again. Granny go get the camphor and some chewing gum!"

Oh yeah, it's like "a fainting spell" right? Except I've heard it more like for epileptic seizures.

Also archaic.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
By lazy, I mean that it's a way of lazying your speech. [Big Grin]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The OED is showing two different Old English roots. There's spellian, which gives the verb spell (like spelling a word), the noun spell (like a wizard's spell), and a few other similar meanings like "discourse." Then there's spelian, which gives the word you're asking about. There are some other related senses of the word that are chiefly nautical and Australian, and one of the example quotes says, "As we say in New England." Don't know if that helps, but there you go.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Thnikkaman
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for The Thnikkaman   Email The Thnikkaman         Edit/Delete Post 
And, of course, "spell" can mean an indeterminate length of time. "Bob was relieved for a spell."
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used "spot" in this context before -- as in, "Bob's busy today, so I'm going to spot him." But "spell" is restricted to a length of time.

Ergo, you could get the sentence, "I'll spot Bob for a spell."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Actually, Dan,looking at the etymological information in my earlier post, it looks to me as though the meaning "to relieve blah blah blah" is probably the older usage of the term, with the "indefinite period of time" usage growing from that. That's just my take on it though; I could easily be wrong.
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know Tom, that's actually really interesting. The word "spot" can also mean a small, undefined quantity", as in "I'd love a spot of tea". This is a primarily British usage, of course, but what's interesting is that it parallels the "a short, indefinite period of time" meaning of "spell". In other words, these two words run parallel to each other on multiple levels. I wonder if there's a common etymological root to them?

I'm going to go and look on dictionary.com, but Jon Boy, if you'd also check it out in the OED that'd be great.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, dictionary.com is no help. Jon Boy?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I've heard it used "Go spell your sister for a bit."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, "spot" also means "a particular location", and "spell" supposedly has an informal use in which it means "a short distance".

...but I think that I'm stretching it a bit at this point.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

They're not related. Spot appears in several Germanic languages, but it seems that it might have come from somewhere else, since it arrives sort of late in the languages. The original meaning of spot was something like "speck" or "small bit."

[ March 30, 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I cast a spell on thee: Go spell Bob for a spell, he was supposed to spell his name, but he had one of his spells.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Tom, I've heard it used "Go spell your sister for a bit."
Something in there sounds redundant...

spell is "an indeterminate period of time" and "relief" in that context, it seems. So the "for a bit" would be superfluous.

Or extra emphasis. As in "we'll call when you're done.

[Wink]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting Jon Boy--thanks for the information!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

My pleasure.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
When you're lifting weights, if you need someone to help you, you ask them to "spot" you. The guy helping is a "spotter". Any idea where that comes from?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

He is spotting any problems.

Or if you drop the weight, you leave spots of blood all over the place.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

He also has the best vantage point from which to spot your remains underneath all those weights and pullies and things.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Spell works for me in that phrase, but what do I know, I'm just happily a hillbilly by birth and choice.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Zan, it looks like it simply comes from the sense of spot meaning "to watch out for something."
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I have both heard and used spell in this way, although not for 20 years or so. I recall coaches using it in rec league sports. "Zamphyr, go spell Johnson at right forward..." [Big Grin]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.