FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The WHAM-mobile [Is OVER]

Author Topic: The WHAM-mobile [Is OVER]
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
“Hey Ma! Can I go to the downtown?”

“How you going to get there? Ya’ll ain’t got no method of conveyance.”

“Don’t worry yourself Ma, I’m taking the WHAM-mobile!”

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 06, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o Uhhh... Wake me up, before you go go?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

*adds Ryuko to "human list"*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

“Dude, I’m telling you, it ain’t no junket it unless you’re some sort of legislator or something”

“Man, we going on a real junket it here, I don’t know what you been up on"

“We’re going to the dang mall, we ain’t finding no facts out for some gosh-darn silly bill!”

“Whatever man, just drive the darn WHAM-mobile.”

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 01, 2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

“Where you gonna park this thing?”

“I don’t know, I figured they’d have one of those…, you know, one of them big spaces they’s always showing on the TV.”

“I ain’t never seen no picture like that on the TV, I think you’re coming down with a disease or something man, that’s stupid.”

“I don’t got no disease, I’m telling you, they showed them big spots on the TV, we’ll just find one of them.”

“Ain’t no one but a fool as try to park here with the WHAM-mobile.”

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

“See? What’d I tell ya’? A big spot just like they’ve got on the TV.”

“That ain’t no big spot, that’s for trucks only, it says it on that sign right there!”

“Nah, that’s for the space on the other side.”

“Why would they put a sign facing this way for the other side?”

“Dude, just shut-up, it’s tough enough parking the WHAM-mobile.”

Hobbes [Smile]

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
*parks alongside WHAM-Mobile *

*takes finger out of nose*

*opens car door*

*dings WHAM-Mobile *

*gets out of car*

*notices occupants of WHAM-Mobile ,enveloped in a purple haze*

*leaves booger on WHAM-Mobile fender*

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on the radio!!! DAMN YOU WHAM!!!

Ohhh... Choose Life... @_@

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
::takes last post::
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

“That’s a lot of stuff man, why’d you get that much.”

“Why you think I brought the WHAM-mobile man? ‘Cause I’m getting so much stuff.”

“Yah but who needs all that?”

“I do! It’s tough living my life, I need some of these material goods they got now days for… you know, compensation and what-not.”

“Dude, whatever, just put the stuff in the back of the WHAM-mobile.”

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Hmm... perhaps no one is interested in my WHAM-mobile story.

*Looks embaressed* Sorry. [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

skillery
Member # 6209

Dude, it's not a true WHAM-mobile unless the shocks bottom out when getting airborne at railroad crossings. But you're right, it does have to be your mama's car.

I hope that by WHAM you don't mean that the car's radio only plays George Michael tunes.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

*returns to car, carrying new Matrix Revolutions DVD and a half-eaten Chick-fil-A*

*waits patiently to see what becomes of Hobbes and his WHAM-mobile *

Hobbes
Member # 433

“Fine man, you can drive, but this isn’t the Indy 500, the WHAM-mobile isn’t formula one, and your dirty dog driving ain’t gonna pass mustard or any other cars. You got that manno?”

“Calm down sweet-cheeks, I’m fine at driving, I just wasn’t used to a WHAM-mobile last time, All right?”

“Don’t call me sweet-cheeks!”

“Calm down sweet-cheeks, and get in the WHAM-mobile.”

Hobbes [Smile]

knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a strange strange person, hobbes.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes darling, I realize you've got that post-test giddyness, but this is really weird. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Allright, now we're rolling! Pedal to the metal dude!

*starts shopping eBay for his own lead sled*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ok after having seen Annie's post I feel ok in asking. "Hobbes, What the heck are you talking about??"

At first I figured I didn't get the joke because I don't watch the Simpsons or something.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

‘What in all the wide world where you doing was I was tellin’ you this ain’t no Indy 500 man?”

“I know it ain’t the 500 dude, I’m taking right turns home.”

“You know that ain’t what I meant, now slow down fool, you’re going to get both of us and our Mama’s killed driving like this.”

“Hush your yapping, we’re save as sauerkraut man. This is the WHAM-mobile

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 02, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

skillery
Member # 6209

*eBay lead sled seller throws in a double-wide trailer to boot*

Woo hoo!

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I also opened this to see if there was any news about George Michael.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

“Need help with all that junk?”

“I ain’t takin’ no help from someone as calls my carefully selected purchases ‘junk’, all right?”

“Wow, back-up dude, I didn’t mean no-never mind by it, just offering a free hand if you need it.”

“Well I could use two right now, so long as you ain’t talkin’ trash about my stuff and just focus on unloading the WHAM-mobile

Hobbes [Smile]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the "What the heck are you talking about?"
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAM!

wake me up b4 you choke, blowjo, but I haven't got the faintest idear what this thread's about?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a song. These are verses. They have the same metric structure. Or else it's a poem. It sounds like it's not authored by Hobbes, either. He's quoting something or someone. <my guesses>
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

“Am I seeing what it is I think I’m seeing?”

“Is it a choir of Angles come to call you to repentance, manno?”

“Man, I didn’t know that choirs still came in the pink and fluffy model.”

“Would you shut-your yappity mouth up and put my Mom’s bathrobe back in the WHAM-mobile.”

Hobbes [Smile]

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
These are great, btw! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Blushing] Thanks AK. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
put my Mom’s bathrobe back in the WHAM-mobile
*envisions Hobbes' mama doing her shopping in fuzzy slippers and hair curlers*

Query: If Mama Hobbes leaves her bathrobe in the trunk, what does she wear walking from the car to the mobile home?

*shudders* [Angst]

Hobbes
Member # 433

“Here’s your chemise my mano.”

“Chemise nothing, this is my shirt dude.”

“Whatever, just take your duds and vamoose.”

“See yah man, I’ll call you next time I take out the WHAM-mobile

THE END

Hobbes [Smile]

skillery
Member # 6209

...just as I was embracing the white-trashness...

C'mon dude, you didn't even get her airborne this time out.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
::applause::
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hmmm, what an interesting story. I had no idea where I was going to go with it, and that's exactly where it went. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Hobbes:

I had no idea where I was going to go with it

Well, to begin with, when parking in a tractor-trailer slot at the mall, you can almost always expect to have a run-in with a trucker. But in this case, you might have had a run-in with a trailer trash family, living in the parking lot...return to the car to find a clothesline attached to your bumper, and the trash-lady's unmentionables hanging on your radio antenna.
skillery
Member # 6209

Okay, I’ve got a WHAM-mobile story for you.

Seems that back in the fifties and sixties most everyone was white trash, at least folks I knew. About the time I came along, they were just getting indoor plumbing and electricity, and moving their iceboxes and washing machines from the front porch to the kitchen.

My pop, he was a TV repairman. We had us a pile of busted up TVs on the front porch, and another pile of TVs that pop was fixing in the living room. Pop and me, we made a good team. He even showed me how to check vacuum tubes on the tube tester. I liked to help pop by salvaging usable parts from his bone pile. Pop, he told me: “son, you don’t want to be touching them cathode ray tubes, as there still might be an electrical charge on them.” Well, I just had to try one out. Touched one with a screwdriver, and next thing I knew, I was clear across the front yard.

Anyway, pop, he got this idea that he was going to take the family on a vacation. We were going to spend a fun-filled week, camping in the White Mountains of Eastern Arizona. Pop had swapped a feller a couple of them color TV sets for an old truck that he didn’t have much use for. The feller even threw in an old camper. That’s all pop talked about for three months, was spending a week in that camper in the mountains.

This truck had four-wheel drive, and pop took us all four-wheeling out in the desert one Saturday. I got to sit up front between mom and pop, and pop showed me how to work the gears: “this here’s called the granny gear, and we use that for climbing hills.” We took that truck all over the desert, following old trails, making new trails, and seeing how steep of hills we could go up.

Pop, he was satisfied that the truck was up to the task of taking us on vacation, and the following Friday we loaded the camper with an old army pup tent, some sleeping bags, our bicycles, and some canned food, and we headed out.

Pop let me ride in the camper with my dog Fred. Fred just stuck his head out the window with his tongue hanging out. Me, I about cooked to death in that camper. Finally we pulled over and I had a chance to get out. “What are we stopping for,” I wanted to know. “Mom forgot the can opener.” After much debate, and after pop demonstrated that he could open a can with his army surplus knife, we decided to continue on.

About an hour after leaving town we came to the first serious hills. That old truck would slow to a crawl and then lurch forward momentarily and then slow back to a crawl. We pulled over to see what was wrong. Pop said the truck was “vapor locking.” I didn’t know what that meant, but pop said it had something to do with the fuel line getting too warm. He said that he once heard someone say that you could prevent vapor locking by wrapping the pull-tabs from soda pop cans around the fuel line. Pop popped the hood of the truck, and sure enough, there was a neat row of pull-tabs arranged on the fuel line. We decided to let the truck cool a bit.

About four hours later we were finally coming in to some mountains. We pulled into a gas station at a place called Hannigan’s Meadow. Pop told the attendant to fill her up with ethyl. Fred and me got out of the camper and stretched our legs. Next thing you know, pop’s bombarding me with big ole Ponderosa pinecones. Fred and me ducked behind the station and found us some ammo, but when we came out from hiding, the truck was halfway down the road. Fred and me took off running, and pop finally pulled over. He just laughed and laughed. Fred and me climbed into the camper, and Fred collapsed on top of our gear. His tongue was hanging out, and his sides were heaving really hard. Then Fred vomited all over our gear.

We turned off on a dirt road where the sign said “KP Cienaga, 11 miles.” Me and Fred were choking on the dust, and we had to close the camper windows, but by then it was cool enough that we didn’t die from the heat. The road was getting pretty bumpy, and I had to hold onto Fred to keep him from getting hurt.

We were going downhill when I heard an explosion, and the truck skidded to a stop. Me and Fred piled out of the camper. Pop was rubbing his chin, looking at a blown-out tire. “Lucky we’ve got a spare,” he said. He crawled under the truck to where the spare was hanging, and I handed him a wrench. He pushed the spare out from under the truck, and mom and me could see that it was flat too.

“Lucky we brought the bicycle pump and some patches,” pop said. “You get to work pumping the spare, while I jack the truck up.”

It was getting dark when we finally pulled into the campground. We quickly set up the tent and got a fire started. After all that talk about sleeping in the camper, I had to sleep in the tent, and I smelled dog vomit all night.

The next morning, mom wanted to look at the tires on the truck. The spare had gone flat again, and four of the five tires were completely bald. “I thought you were going to get new tires,” she said. “Tires were so darned expensive that I could only afford one, and it’s a re-tread.”

We spent a lot of time that week patching that spare, trying to get it to hold air. Pop said we’d better try to get the blown-out tire fixed too, but it had a hole the size of a silver dollar in it. Pop, he took my K-Mart sneaker and sliced the sole off using his surplus knife. He put that sliced off shoe inside the tire and then inflated the tube. It held, and later we had to use that blown-out tire on the way home. Pop said the feller at the tire store in Phoenix just laughed and laughed when he saw our repair job.

We had many more fun trips in pop’s truck. Pop finally had to take a real job at a computer company, and he had to buy a car to drive to work. Mom inherited the truck and used it for shopping and running kids to the doctor. Later, when I got my license, I inherited the old truck, and discovered one Saturday night after the teen dance that I could do a wheelie if I got up to speed in reverse with the camper attached, and then suddenly shifted into forward and popped the clutch. Truck go WHAM!

[ April 06, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

There's a famous WHAM-mobile jump here in the Salt Lake Valley on 54th South, just west of Kearns High School. If you are westbound on 54th South you will come to what appears to be a typical railroad crossing with the exception of the 15-MPH speed limit signs. This railroad crossing is deceptive because, while it looks like level road, the road drops away severely on the far side of the crossing. Numerous gouges can be seen in the pavement on the far side where WHAM-mobiles have landed. Some gouges are as far as four car lengths from the launch point. As this section of road is lightly patrolled, the 54th South jump is a temptation to both young and old WHAM-mobile drivers.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.