FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » April Fools Recollections (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: April Fools Recollections
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to go to the University of Virginia. For some reason, my parents wouldn’t let me apply early decision. Apparently they didn’t want me to limit my choices.

Being the obstinate kind of guy I am, I only applied to UVa during the regular decision process. Which meant that if I didn’t get in, my only option would have been community college.

On April 1, the day letters were supposed to go out, I got a letter in the mail purporting to be from UVa, rejecting my application. It took me about 2 seconds to realize it was a prank by my dad (laser printers weren’t so good back then).

Not being one to let a good gag go to waste, I had my mom call my best friend and tell him I had gotten a letter from UVa and stormed out of the house without saying anything and ask if he had seen me. Then I showed up at his doorstep with fake tears (saline solution works great) and the crumpled letter in my hand, telling him my life was over and I didn’t know what to do. He read it and after about 5 minutes he said, “Could this be an April Fools joke.” I looked up at him and said, “Of course.”

We went through about 4 of my friends before we got bored with it.

There were lots of good pranks in my family. My older sister once kidnapped my little sister’s Cabbage Patch Kid and held it for ransom. We had to raid Monopoly and Life to get enough money to pay it off. The same Cabbage Patch Kid was placed on my chest with it’s little hands at my neck while I was sleeping the night after I walked out on a Chucky movie (I have a thing about dolls, OK).

This is the context in which you have to place the email I got from my little brother on April 1st last year announcing he was gay. I automatically filed it in the “Family Jokes” Outlook folder and didn’t think anything else of it. He didn’t realize the significance of the date he sent the email – turns out he ended up being very worried that when I didn’t respond. Even when my dad called to confirm, I didn’t believe it until I met his boyfriend.

Everything’s cool now – I like his boyfriend and he came to the family Christmas celebration.

Just a quick reminder to everybody that today is not the best day to deliver unexpected and shocking news to family members.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I lame if I've never played an April Fool's joke before?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes. Yes you are. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
yes.

happy now?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, we're fixing this. Today. I don't know how, but I'll think of something.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
But rest assured, Jon Boy. It has nothing to do with April 1st.

[Smile]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*puts Sal on the "to be pranked" list*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I heard that professor is writing another book and wants you to edit it. This one is going to be even longer.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag this is the greatest thread ever. You are the best Hatracker I've ever read.

April Fools.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Luckily, according to the "Acceptable Use of Movie Review Quotations," I can now say "best Hatracker I've ever read!" - Dan_Raven.

[Taunt]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The joke's on you, Zan! I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My son said all the kids in his organic chemistry class this afternoon were planning to NOT show up for class today. They are going to leave Dr. Boyle a plate of cookies and a nice note.

(Since he works for her too, though, I think he is planning to sneak in just after she realizes they are all gone, and make sure she doesn't count it against his grade)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Back in high school, my Physics teacher told us we were going to begin studying thermal expansion and such. I believe that year, April 1 fell on the Friday before Spring Break, so we weren't real happy about it.

Then he lit up the Bunsen burners and brought out the Jiffy Pop popcorn.

JB, is that a joke or did you really get a job?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yes, I really did get a new job. I mentioned it on the Job Boredom thread yesterday.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm converting to Mormonism.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So am I.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Kat, I'm glad to hear that you've given up your evil, trollish ways and have embraced the truth.
katharina
Member # 827

trollish...?? [Confused]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Come, now. Repent of all your past trolling, Mormon-impersonating, and thread-deleting ways. Now is not the time for more lies and feigned ignorance.

[ April 01, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
When Ron and I had been married about six months, our first April Fool's day as a married couple came along. Heh.

Ron is a big joker-- he was always making things up, trying to get a rise out of me. I was gradually learning his Tells, so he was getting me less and less. Now he has to do it by phone or when I can't see his face well. But anyway.

I got home from work before he did, and I put a bandaid in the bend of my right elbow. Then I put my sweater back on and made dinner.

That night when we were getting ready for bed, he noticed the band aid and asked about it. I was reluctant to tell him, so he had to pry it out of me. I told him I'd passed out at work, and that my supervisor, Linda, had made me go to a Doc in the Box. I told him they did a blood test and that I was pregnant.

He took my hand, led me into our spare room and just held me. We were in this dinky appartment, just starting out. We had nothing. I waited for him to speak. Finally he said, "We can do this. We have time to prepare..."

I finally said April Fool and we had a lovely pillow fight. It was the first time I'd ever 'gotten' him, so he was okay with it. Looking back, I realize how mean that was. I don't do April Fool's jokes on him anymore. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

JB, I didn't read that one because I'm just soooo happy with my job, I didn't think it applied to me.
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, gotcha. Don't worry. All that action will continue.

</oversensitive>

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have almost no sense of humor for practical jokes. They always annoy me, and I never recripocate.

I guess I'm on the lame train with Jon Boy.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Someone needs to come up with a really great one to pull on my roomate.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet - That is a great one!! I had thought about pulling a similar prank on slacker today, but I don't think I can pull it off, so I won't.

Today, one of the guys at Honeywell tried to tell me that a forklift had run into my truck and damaged it. For the first second, I believed him, but then thought better of it. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always told using pregnancy as a practical joke (or April Fool's Joke) is off-limits -- bad idea.

I was never brave enough to find out.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I put a roll of TP on Amka's, Speeds, Zevlags, and Raventh1's door last night. And waiting to hear if they found it or not is getting slightly frustrating. [Wink]

Also, Jon did last night mean nothing to you? How can you say that you have never done an April Fools Joke after last night? -- We TP'd Pat.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What are you talking about? I have no recollection of said toilet papering.
zgator
Member # 3833

Nathan, please tell me that you don't really think putting a roll of TP on someone's door is TP'ing.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I am debating putting out a blanked e-mail to my company asking someone to stop the woman in the office next to me from flashing the world. I could complain that she's sitting in her office topless and doesn't seem to realize it. I could e-mail everyone but her.

Hmmm. This has possibities.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not really. Amka had her lights on, Mark goes to work late at night, Speed's neighbor was up and watching me through a window. Zevlag I should have done, and would have been fun, but it was late and I was tired. Pat though, we got.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I need something to interrupt my "precious" work, so I'll tell you the funniest April Fool's joke in my life:

I went to a physics national contest. We returned, of course, the night of March 31st to April 1st, in the same train as a group from another department. We had one accompanying teacher, the others had two female teachers (let's call them A & B). As one of them fell asleep (A), what did our teacher think ? Since we just entered April 1st, why not give poor A something to remember ? So he got B and one of her students in a separate compartment and than woke up A saying B and the student got off at the previous station to buy something and the train left without them... Poor thing... She didn't know what to do (it was just a little past midnight, and she'd just woken up !!)... Finally, she tried to pull the cord and sound the alarm. That's when our teacher told her it was an April Fool's joke. [Razz] She took it pretty well, hugged B when she saw her, and well, we woke everybody up on the train with our laughs ! [ROFL]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I feel better. I thought the youth of America had gone and gotten soft or something. Keep up the good work.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pregnant. Shh, don't tell my wife.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*sigh* One of the few times I was truly taken and appalled by an April Fool's Joke was the Ender's Puppy Debacle on Pweb. I was horrified. Oh my word.

Where's Amka?

[ April 01, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
On my mission I wrote a letter on April Fools about how I fell in love with someone who did not speak english. It was like a 5 page letter, front and back, describing how I looked forward to family life, whether I was going to come home or not after mission, whether I was going to try and bring my fiancee over--but for sure I was leaving my mission early.

It was very realistic and included pictures and everything (I took with a stranger before I wrote the letter). The last line was "April Fools."

Since I wrote it and mailed it on April fools, she did not get it unitl 2 weeks after. She was so upset she only read half of the letter. She talked to the bishop and other family members and cried an awful lot.

It wasn't until I called a 2 months later (I had a habbit of breaking a lot of the lesser mission rules), worried because I had not heard from her, that I found out she held onto the letter for 3 weeks before she read the rest of it.

*giggles*

Mom still hasn't forgiven me.

[ April 01, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

She = Mom?
Corwin
Member # 5705

Alexa [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
She = MOM...I have since edited my last post for clarity.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I just recieved an email from our Human Resources person. Apparently, one of our employees--Ron Dover, just had a child. The new boy's name is Benjamin Dumas Dover.

Yeah Right. Someone is going to name their son something thats sounds that bad. Ben Dover, or all three names is even worses.

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny Alexa!

I have two brothers who are 15 months apart. (Brad and Jeff) Brad was coming home on April 1st so for to meet him at the airport, we'd picked up a piece of posterboard and decorated it all up and it said "Welcome Home Brad" on it.

About 2 hours before we left for the airport, I had an idea. The posterboard had two sides and Brad is a big practical joker, and our mom was always confusing Brad and Jeff's names (as parents do) when we were growing up, so I took out our big Marks-a-lot pen and wrote "Welcome Home Jeff" on the other side of the posterboard. It was very plain and had no decorations.

When Brad finally got off the plane (he waited to be the last one) I held up the sign with "Welcome Home Jeff" facing out. He took one look at it, smiled, and turned around and went back up the jetway.

He turned around after about 15 yards and came back and I turned my sign around too.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

"Count of Monty Crisco... By... Alexandre Dum-ass. Dum-ass ?!" [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

These are all good stories. The problem is, none of them lead to me having a great joke to play on my roomate. [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

zgator
Member # 3833

You could dip his hand in warm water tonight after he goes to sleep.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Buy a cheap hard drive, install DOS and Win 3.1 on it, and replace his HD with the new one. Then listen for his screams.

Dagonee

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
My son is planning to leave his plastic scorpion in my mother's bed tonight. I don't think that will get her again.

I wish this had happened on April Fools day, but it was funny anyway... My little dog loves my son's plastic toys. She picks them up and carries them around in her mouth for a while, then drops them places. One time, the plastic scorpion was the toy of choice, and she carried it around, ultimately dropping it on the floor of my mother's bathroom. Shortly thereafter, my son was watching TV in her room and inadvertantly left his rubber snake on her bed, just poking out from under the pillows. I think he did it inadvertantly, but you never know with him. Mom came home from work, went into her bathroom and caught the scorpion just out of the corner of her eye. Scared the tar out of her. The rubber snake wasn't quite so bad. We still laugh about that.

One place I worked, the owner was a real prankster. One year, he bought an absolutely enormous mechanical rat. It made chewing sounds and thrashed around when you triggered its sensor by getting too close. He left it under his assistant's desk.

She had a good sense of humor. Fortunately. She still works there.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
what's he done now, hobbes?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I once tied the doorknobs of two suitemates' rooms together (they were directly across from each other).

The key was to allow enough slack so they could have a tug of war while they tried to figure out what was happening.

Also, equal parts ammonia and iodine make a nice little contact explosive...

Dagonee

Hobbes
Member # 433

Smoked pot all the time and come home when I'm asleep to make himself food
Steal my batteries
Break several promises to me
Keep pot in our room
Give my prized sticks away to some unknown women [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Meet the roomate in the hallway, and start apologizing about the fire.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.