FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I talked to Weird Al! Who wants to touch me?

Author Topic: I talked to Weird Al! Who wants to touch me?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al Yankovic is going to be playing in Daytona Beach April 28. I knew this, I've got 3rd row tickets for me and my boys.

Our newspaper's music reviewer is swamped and trying to clear his workload before he goes on vacation. An offer came in yestreday afternoon for a ten-minute Weird Al phone interview, and since he knew I was a fan and had written about Al before he asked if I wanted to do the article. I accused him of sloughing his work off on me and getting fawning gratitude on top of it, he just smiled and said "Win-win."

Armed with a phone number and the secret access code (which you can't have, nyah) I called and talked to Al, stammering like a schoolgirl the whole time. My coworkers loved this, because I don't get giddy. I just don't. Usually.

Al was courteous, funny, and great to talk to. I even got him to laugh a few times. Life is good.

CB: After years of love songs that (with maybe one exception) have been, let's say, bitter or maniacal, now you release a song about a sleazy make-out artist and suddenly you're married. Is there a connection?

AL: (laughs) Well, in a way I felt like I had more license to do a song like that now because when I was single people might think, "oh, was this autobiographical, is he really like that?" And in a way, and this is kind of an odd comparison, but I kinda feel like Howard Stern when he was married, he kind of had license to be really creepy on the air because people knew that deep down, "oh, he's a family man, he loves his wife, he's got kids, you know, this is just kinda like, his schtick." So I kinda felt like, you know, now that I'm happily married, and all that, that I can be creepier. (laughs)

CB: Well, good for you!

AL: (laughs)

[ April 01, 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
God, no way, who knows what he's carrying.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Transcribed the tape, and I've had some personal revelations.

-- I sound hideous on tape.
- From now on, when doing a phone interview, read the questions out loud to someone else first to see where you're going to hang or stutter.
-- Avoid fanboy gushing (I was good, I waited 'til my questions were done and I still had a minute left, but geez, I sounded like a stalker).
-- Forget about a radio career. I talk fast anyway, and apparently when I'm nervous I move into auctioneer speed. Oy.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my! I will have to tell my daughter! She has been playing his CD every single night lately -- driving me to the point of battiness. Expecially his song Everything You Know is Wrong is played incessantly.

(personally, I like Gump and the Amish song best.)

He came through here less than a year ago, but we didn't have money for tickets at that time.

You are going to link us to your review article when you finish it, aren't you?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
*high fives CB*
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]
I am not even worthy to post aon the thread of someone who talked to AL!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Of course I'll link to it! My ill-mannered gloating wouldn't be complete otherwise!

There may have been one or two people who managed to get within 300 feet of me yesterday without hearing about this, but it wasn't from lack of trying. [Smile] I'm subtle, I are.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the only Graemlins that show contact are the kissing and hugging ones.

Assume I pasted an icon with one smiley touching the other with a finger.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!!!

... Wait. He's married!?! My dreams, all shattered. [Frown]

I want to touch you, Chris!!! But my arms are too short to reach from MN to FL... Damn... [Frown]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Married with a two-year-old daughter. The mind boggles.

The very pregnant lady on the cover of "Poodle Hat" is the lucky Mrs. Al.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(obsessed now) Must go see her. Is she prettier than me? (distress)

No, I'm just joking! But I bow and kiss your feet for your luck at getting to speak to The Man himself. I want to see a transcript of the complete interview. Heck! Make it downloadable! Pweeze?

I wonder how adorable his baby is! Curly hair is SOOOO cute. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Rock on Chris!

I must find my Wierd Al Cassette Tape Collection now...It's right next to my Devo 8-track collection if that helps...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Weird Al love song is "One More Minute."

I'd rather --- spend eternity
Eating shards of broken glass
Then spend --- one more minute --- wii-ith you

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Chris, that question you posted was probably the most insightful thing he's heard during an interview in years.

Good job!

Did you do this question:

Q: Al, you're known for your lyrics, of course, but I'm curious, how do you come up with your melodies?

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, you had the honor of speaking to the great one whom we all worship and hold dear?

Behold, as the Prophet of the Al one steps into our midst! [Hail]

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I knew he was married, but I didn't know that he had embarked into the great adventure of parenthood! I wonder what sort of a father he makes?

Ryoko, here is the best picture of Suzanne I could find.

[ April 02, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to an Al concert. He puts on a great live show. Grats on meeting him, seems like a great guy from everything I've seen [Smile]
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a televised Weird Al show and was struck that the audience was sitting down. Some part of me finds this contrary to what a rock show is all about (parodied or not.)
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what yer saying is that there is a certain lay-about mentality overcomming?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljin
Member # 6354

- posted      Profile for Eljin   Email Eljin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]

reminds me of a funny story. A friend of mine and his dad were sitting at home. There was a picture of weird al on the table (magazine or Cd or something, I'm not sure). The dad said, "hey, that's al yankovic". My friend said "yeah, weird al". Dad: "They still call him that? How do you know who he is?"

Turns out, the dad knew him in college, and had no clue that he was famous now or anything.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a huge fan or Weird Al. But can I still touch you? [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There may have been one or two people who managed to get within 300 feet of me yesterday without hearing about this, but it wasn't from lack of trying. I'm subtle, I are.
Count me as one of the envious. [Smile]

So, did you go through the pretense of trying to find a wedge into the conversation to bring this up with people? Or did you just barge in with the news? I always like hearing about how other people negotiate tricky social situations.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'm not the "waiting for a pretense" sort. Any kind of opening would do.

"Hey Chris, what's up?"
"I get to interview Weird Al!"

"Mornin', Chris. Is it supposed to rain tomorrow?"
"Doesn't matter, I'll be interviewing Weird Al!"

"I can't hold on to this rope any longer! Help! Grab my hand!"
"Sorry, got to go interview Weird Al!"

I managed to work it in.

[ April 03, 2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, people do the craziest things to get touched, really.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.